• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

A lot of free hosts going down?

Schmarvin

Cross Industries
NLC
Lately, more and more hosts are closing. Is it because school is starting up?
That'd mean more business/hostees for those who are still going, right?

cant blame the younger ones for trying. We are still around. I have a couple of younger ones that have resellers with me and i think they spend more time on the servers then we do.

Lack of experience: If they know that end up like this they shouldn't bother to run it at the first place. If they plan before running foward they won't end up like this.

But that's it, not much people learn about it they choose to running than look below their feet before walk and that trip off their own shoelace point their head into the dustbin.

Nothing new IMO. Every 5 months or so, the hosts that seem to advertise the most here and @ WHT all disappear, go under, or get purchased by someone else. Hosting is basically three segments; small individuals running small hosts (like here - most of which will fail), huge host companies (hostgator, godaddy, etc. - these will stick around but offer horrible service and outrageous pricing), and the third category - hosts that are too stubborn to be different so instead stay stable, don't go anywhere, and usually are very fair priced.

Reference this post in one year, and you will see how few hosts fall into that third category ;)

Most do just go under because they dont understand how much bother they can get in and how much effort it needs.

It is steriotypicall that all young hosts go down, it is almost certain that older people run them better due to their understanding of real life but young ones can perform to. I first set up hosting when I was 14 and went for like 2 years which I'm proud of. If I had the time and effort I'd do it again now with a better business model but hey I kept it going.

What you need is a good rapport with the host or DC, because come on, the spam you can get is incredible and quite alot of money.

(snip) and the third category - hosts that are too stubborn to be different so instead stay stable, don't go anywhere, and usually are very fair priced.
;)

I'm hoping liway.com will be around for the long haul, because thats where I put my webpage

I think the importance of a good business plan is severely overlooked. Because the cost to get into this market is so little a lot of people hop right in only to find out it's not what they expected, and hop right back out. ;)

Reference in one year!

Nothing new IMO. Every 5 months or so, the hosts that seem to advertise the most here and @ WHT all disappear, go under, or get purchased by someone else. Hosting is basically three segments; small individuals running small hosts (like here - most of which will fail), huge host companies (hostgator, godaddy, etc. - these will stick around but offer horrible service and outrageous pricing), and the third category - hosts that are too stubborn to be different so instead stay stable, don't go anywhere, and usually are very fair priced.

Reference this post in one year, and you will see how few hosts fall into that third category ;)

I'm going to try. One of my specialities is "Durable News" - is (a variant) of the news still relevant after one year?

This is important because even worse with the ad market, "Flashy Bad News" gets revenue, and by next week it no longer matters.

Xinix.in was my lead a while back, and they seemed promising for the typical 7-months.

cWahi of "unmetered" fame is back on lead now.

Due to the ease at which people can now create their own hosts more and more 'hosting companies' are created. These days, there are so many free content and easy to use scripts available.

No return on investment? It seems like everybody wants gigs and gigs of space and bandwidth for free, while offering nothing in return.

Im guessing that the majority of those guys that shut down are catering to these senseless requests. Also, it will take longer for a free host to be worthwhile, compared to a paid hosting service where you can see a return pretty much within the first couple months. Im betting it takes years before you can make a decent income off a free web hosting service.

Of course there are also the guys who build a free host then sell it to someone else who eventually ends up closing it down :)

Yeah, those guys shouldn't even call themselves hostees. There're some of type that create for auction domains business. They cloaking themselves among true hostee by create their free hosting to attract clients. When their traffics worthly enough aboout months, weeks they'll start sell their domain to someone who interest. They'll done like this loop.

Their action may give some lessons for those recall free for nothing return. But they also destroy images for free hosting markets also.

Of course there are also the guys who build a free host then sell it to someone else who eventually ends up closing it down :)

I don't know - I've been impressed with the sites I've sold lately. The new owners have actually improved on them, which I've been glad to see. And none of them had to resort to putting ads on user pages, which makes me even happier!

another reason is huge companies' offering unlimited plans for little prices...when you can get 2-3 dollars/mo hosting from reliable huge companies,the need for free hosts might be decreasing

I think the recession has something to do with it. I know most of the time people don't plan.

But the recession means that less people are spending huge amounts on advertising which is makes means people who offer free hosting with ads get paid less and takes much more time for them to make their money back.

I think if people had more staying power they would get through it. I think many people use this industry as a get rich quick scheme rather than doing it because they love it.

The Recession has everything to do with it, the cost of Free Hosting is very large, say if the plan is worth about $2 and you have got 100 Customers that is $200 you have lost every month!

This is why I have stoped my free Hosting, another example my Reseller Plan, I would charge about $6, even though I only have 20 customers, as I wasnt going to go over that (because I would be loosing to much money), but it is still making me loose $120 a month of my Money!

It looses so much money that adds cant even cover it, so that is why free hosts are going down!

So that is why Im starting paid hosting now, But unlike some company's im not killing them off, unless there account is inactive for more that 2 weeks!

Back