• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

A lot of free hosts going down?

We will enable some functions for those who ask for them. PHP functionals can be left off globally and then enabled on a site by site basis.

Many people don't know that they must ask the host to enable those features.
They rather post on Script Forum than submit a support ticket.

Usually the first thing people do when they upload a script that will not work because of disabled functions is contact the server admin to see what's going on. If we do not see a threat, we'll go ahead and enable to function for them, they're happy and life goes on.

If errors are set not to be displayed, the client won't be able to find out that his script is not working because of a disabled function.

For example, on Darksoul's hosting site, he wouldn't allow ini_set because of his security settings. I also read on internet that many shared hosts don't allow this command.

Last edited:
A lot of people are looking for hosts that offer unrealistic limits like 1gb of disk space, which they'll never be able to use because most hosts don't allow file or video hosting. It's highly unlikely a user will ever use that much space with just css/javascript/html/php/image files.

The more important elements to concentrate on instead of giving out copious disk space, are bandwidth, uptime and features.

Hi Streak. I believe that 1GB of space is the new baseline. I do agree that it is a steep cliff to 5GB though. I don't know what 3GB means yet.

Social

The free hosting scene is changing totally. What do you know, even geocities got shut down. They were awfully big.

I think social networks are the main key factor here. Because many people who were using free hosting to share their photo are now using facebook. Which is easier to manage than a free host.

Its tough to know what free hosting clients are looking for now days. Apart from image hosting, file hosting can be a key but still you have rapidshare and hotfile and a zillion others offering that service freely.

Hmm what else could be hot for free hosters. I think php, asp, asp.net hosting is the key selling point for a free host now days. So that people can learn using the space and scripts. Any more ideas?

I'll amplify this comment, and reply that we have a bad cultural habit of the Now, so I am quietly looking to a Post-Facebook World, but my vision isn't strong enough yet.

I guess, those businesses that shut down have reach the peak of their patience. In this kind of business, one should be very patient in maintaining their sites because of so many competition. But because of being patient, there will come a time that you will excel above the rest. I'm sure in order to excel above the others, one should consider choosing the best web host to cater your domain/sites. You may choose the best host with reasonable price. You may choose hosts like hostgator, bluehost, godaddy, justhost and many more as your web host. In choosing your host, you need to look for their reviews, check on their features and as well as prices, so that you have all the information you need in choosing what is best for you
hJI3VH

Last edited:
I respectufly disagree. I've started at 15 as a moderator and have been very active in the industry and some times it takes a failure to learn from. Now I've grown because of it.

There is nothing inherently unsafe about free hosting. It's not any more unsafe than paid hosting.

The problem comes when you have a server admin who either doesn't have the knowledge, or doesn't care about securing the server, and the fact that free services tend to attract questionable people/sites. That's where the problem happens. "Free servers" can be made just as secure as any "paid server" out there.

There is nothing inherently unsafe about free hosting. It's not any more unsafe than paid hosting.

The problem comes when you have a server admin who either doesn't have the knowledge, or doesn't care about securing the server, and the fact that free services tend to attract questionable people/sites. That's where the problem happens. "Free servers" can be made just as secure as any "paid server" out there.

I agree with you there. :)

Back