• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

24/7 Support - it makes me wonder

I think the only real reason to offer 24 hour support is to cover all time zones that you may have people in. I know of a few dedicateds we have for clients over in Europe and when I am asleep they are waking up so unless you service clients in your time zone only it is pretty important to have people on 24 hours a day and to have other staff.

from what I have seen the night time is when most people submit tickets anyway (at least for dedicateds) these are the people trying to start a company and they work a normal job during the day, so they come home and work on their system late into the night, if someone is not here to support them it could be a waste of their night

the other reason to have 24 hour staff is sanity, I use to stay awake until 4am and then get up at 8am everyday......that was stupid, now I work a normal shift and I am far happier

I enjoyed a nice day off with the family yesterday, processed 3 orders when I got home, one fraud of course. and the night before that I got a nice 8 hours sleep....thats worth a few bucks/month for me

Blitz-Host said:
do you provide the same? would you reply to a ticket i sent within 15mins?
No, but we don't claim we offer 24/7 support either.

If you are paying a high hosting fees and the host claims to offer 24/7 support then you should expect someone to be there. If you are paying mid-range fees you should expect a prompt response within 12 hours and if you are paying low fees, then don't be fooled by those who claim to offer 24/7 support because chances are they are like many of the other posters in this thread who don't interpret 24/7 as all day everyday or just put it on their site to make themselves look good. :)

Im with you Jan what is it with people wanting 24/7 Support. If their is a major server error they would know and the solutions will be to fix it

there is a difference between a major error and a minor one. every now and again we will get a ticket for something silly and not our fault (email setting up, database corruption for a forum, etc) if someome cannot get their email for 24 hours that is a huge deal and if a forum is down that someone relies on for revenue then that is a big deal too.

It's the little things that count, and that one time of the year you will want your host alert, coherent, and ready to take action.....not sleeping

But then its not the hosts fault if your database of the forum is currupt. If it is the hosts fault because SQL is down, Yes I do understand. If someone cameup to me with a support ticket for a corrupt database I would help however I would not take Responsibility

you are right it is not the hosts fault if the forum is corrupt but having a backup to restore at finger tips length and being able to complete that in just a few mins make a big difference

That really depends on the level of the user. Quality is obviously essential, but response time is very much down to what the individual customer needs. Personally, in general I tend to avoid services that charge extra for 24/7 tech support because I know I won't use it, though others may need it quicker because there is a high opportunity cost for delays in getting help with their site or they are simply beginners and know they are going to need regular help in a timely manner. :)

I guess it depends on the persons mode of thinking and how they work. I have always bought high end because I like the luxury of having my stuff in working order. example: I buy server management from serverwizards because I know that if I am in a pinch they will get to my stuff in about 2 minutes, always. Their price is over double of what most cpanel managers offer but I like the response time and knowledge they offer

if fast support isnt your thing though I suppose that is why there are companies offering hosting for pocket change

zx4host said:
its the Quality of support not Quantity

All Paul is pointing out here is that fastest support doesn't mean better support. This is much agreed.

AvailNetworks said:
I guess it depends on the persons mode of thinking and how they work. I have always bought high end because I like the luxury of having my stuff in working order. example: I buy server management from serverwizards because I know that if I am in a pinch they will get to my stuff in about 2 minutes, always. Their price is over double of what most cpanel managers offer but I like the response time and knowledge they offer

if fast support isnt your thing though I suppose that is why there are companies offering hosting for pocket change

I agree with your proactive support post. But that depends on what your hosting support actually covers in the first place. The proper hosting providers have their own support rules on what they will provide support on, and what not. This makes sure time is well spent on things which are necessary for the service concerned. These rules would probably be effected by target customer genre and pricing.

However faster support does not mean more money spent. Faster support response doesn't mean the hosting is higher end. Serverwizards are pretty cheap prices still, 30 bucks more than the cheapest managements around?

Most "fast support" providers give fast support simply because they don't have a big workload - This is true. Quite simply, anybody using industry leading providers know, that if you send them an email, it will take more than a few minutes to get a response. (Most useless responses, agreed) Ever sent support queries to 1and1, Godaddy or even, Paypal?

On the other hand, let's think of a tiny scale hosting business run by one man, waiting on AIM/MSN and replying to every email he gets pretty much when he gets them. Half the time you will probably get most instant response from that service. Does it mean this service should be more expensive and is higher class hosting? Definately not.

Support is good when they do it the way you like it.

they lie when they say 24/7 support

my host was down 12 hours in weekend and now is down for 6 hour

i sended a couple of mails asking whats going one and i got 0 responses

ill wait till tomorow, if they dont repair the stuff and apologize i will review them on 5-10 webhosts sites and in some forums.

they say : 99-100% uptime, this month they have 80% uptime.

yeah there is always the possibility of that too....

support is good when they do it the way you like it

good call. I know alot of small hosts that basically sit on messenger waiting for something to go wrong, so you just have to weigh your options when searching for a host I suppose, research the company and do your homework. I think now you can pretty much tell who runs a one man show, at least I can just from being around and spotting patterns.

It all comes down to who is sitting behind the wheel driving the car and what they put their priorities on

hottweelz said:
Who are "they?"

We weren't talking about any host in particular.

i decided to wait another 12 hours

if they dont apologise deeply or they go down again sooner than 2 weeks i will make them so advertising to remember.

my host is posting in this forums promising 99%-100% uptime.:lol:

Back