• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Yay or Nay

Wojtek

W as in Whisky
NLC
So i won this ebay auction for a Motorola Razr V3

Says its brand new, no box no charger.
phone, leather case and instruction manual only. unlocked and unbranded.

c5_1.JPG

was a 10-item 'buy it now' for 82$ usd each

upon emailing the seller why such a low price? hint: stolen? heh i got this reply:
The phones are NOT stolen. I work for motorola. These phones were given away
to employees because of the newer version that has video mode. This one does
not. Why try to sell them for 200.00 when i didn't pay anything for them?
I'm just trying to sell them for a reasonable price. Would you rather pay more?

Thing is, id rather pay more if id be sure id get the phone. As in the seller does not have 0 rep points and the price is relatively normal. not 1/3 of normal price.

so my question would be, would you go for it? should i gamble 100$ on this or no? he only takes money orders. i think i could use CC with bidpay.com and if its a scam, just do a chargeback :)

Suggestions?

Last edited:
the razr v3 (silver) can be unlocked to do video recording as well as increase memory from 5mb to 7mb.

For $83 bucks, I'd take a chance. If it's stolen, it's stolen in the U.S., not sure if that would matter in Canada.

Go for it, sellers have to start somewhere. Seems that he is a good guy trying to help the rest of the world out. After all, he does work for a cellular company, guess he knows how it works...

he says he works for them, but i had a friend that worked for verizon and never got a free phone when new one came out, let alone 10 new ones, but maybe he is telling the truth. the other thing is, when you go to activate it, just tell them you got it on ebay and they should activate it with no problem even if it is stolen. most cell companies dont care since it happens so often where phones are stolen, lost , or just sold after not paying the bill anymore. you should just go for it is you can do a safe transaction like bidpay or paypal. i would not do it if he wants any other method of payment. dont do money order or western union. is you can do safe transaction, do it.

jstgermain said:
he says he works for them, but i had a friend that worked for verizon and never got a free phone when new one came out, let alone 10 new ones, but maybe he is telling the truth. the other thing is, when you go to activate it, just tell them you got it on ebay and they should activate it with no problem even if it is stolen. most cell companies dont care since it happens so often where phones are stolen, lost , or just sold after not paying the bill anymore. you should just go for it is you can do a safe transaction like bidpay or paypal. i would not do it if he wants any other method of payment. dont do money order or western union. is you can do safe transaction, do it.
Uhh, Verizon provides a service, while Motorola provides consumer electronics.

Two completely different things, no ?

I know for a fact that cell phone manufacturers give their employees bulk phones. Usually they're not allowed to resell them though. At least Nokia’s bulks look completely ordinary on the outside, but if you remove the battery cover and the battery, instead of the normal PN/IMEI info on the sticker, it says: "Engineering sample, not for resale".

Who knows, maybe Motorola isn't as uptight, and gives it's employees a chance to earn a little extra.

*edit*

I'd say go for it if you can pay via a reversible method.

Last edited:
He can't type. I wouldn't trust him. I don't care if he works for "motorola". If he works for Motorola, then maybe I would go ahead and use bidpay, but anyone that has 0 feedback and doesn't bother to capitalize proper nouns comes off to me as a kid.

On top of that, his stupid response had a question in it. Be a little less straightforward, please.

I wouldn't go through, just coz the phones plain suck. They are bulky and have the battery life of a 1998 mobile phone.

I say go for it. New sellers on ebay have to start somewhere, I know when I started on ebay!

Go for it if you can do a chargeback. If he insists on money order, then don't.

bozley05 said:
They are bulky and have the battery life of a 1998 mobile phone.
How can you say they're bulky? It seems small enough to me... it's only half the size of my Nokia.

For a flip phone, once you open it up.. it just seemed too big when I saw it. Atleast it is skinny and light.

I have a few friends with them. They seem alright, good picture quality and slim. Too slim for me though, I have trouble not breaking ones that weigh 3 pounds

Matt8 said:
I have trouble not breaking ones that weigh 3 pounds

That reminds me of my father ;)

I almost bought a Razr V3 once, but decided not to, mainly because the 5MB non-upgradeable memory seemed too small. I know it's more than people usually use, but I'm different.

I prefer phones with a RS-MMC or some other kind of memory card slot.

If your going ahead with it and are suspicious you could
check the headers in the e-mail to see what country the guy is from.

I avoid all sellers with 0 feedback score, I would say no because of that reason alone...

Hope whatever decision you make it works out.

bozley05 said:
I wouldn't go through, just coz the phones plain suck. They are bulky and have the battery life of a 1998 mobile phone.

They have battery life of 7+ days. Plus they are great phones. Have their issues (like most phones),but overall a great phone.

Bulky? Not even. Fits in my pocket and nobody can even tell. Hell I can't even find it sometimes.

Back