• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Yay, I got my server for my host...

guitarnerd

Microsoft owns all
NLC
How does this sound for a server

950mhz AMD Athlon
512mb of ddr 2100 ram
233mhz bus speed
And the rest of the basics

How would this do for a small host?

I forgot to add that it isn't a Rack server, I really wanted a 1U but I ended up with a desktop style, It works though,

What "os" do you reccomend I install...I have not done much with Linux but I can learn what do you reccomend

I would go with a linux, probably redhat.
and as i am making suggestions i want free hosting :p

Last edited:
Oh yeah, it has at least 40gigs but I am getting it for free, it might be 60gigs. Long story, but I am getting it for free.

well as you have seen a heap of people here are NLC's, which means they like hearing long storys, so go ahead.

My Dad was a bidder or something for a construction company in LA and yesterday he quit to go to some other construction company and he also did a lot of work on the computers, his new job is going to supply his computer so he has a very nice computer lying in his office, without a home with a nice 17" monitor $80 mouse and Natural (split) keyboard (my preference.) I think I might put a Athlon XP 1900+ in it considering I was ready to spend $300 for a server now I have extra money. The funny thing is, is that I just so happened to come visit him the weekend this all happened, and told him how I was going to put a host together and needed a server. So things worked out pretty nifty.

I meant to put "I was ready to spend $500", I was saving up for a 1U barebones from tiget direct

Well, I will either run it out of my house on 1.5mbps DSL or host it from a place that has dual satelite connection, which is basically T3, but Im not sure how I would set up my Ip address with them

Yes, I will be offering free services, but it would be like 10mb space 200mb of transfer. I will do a few paid hosting accounts for about $5-$10 a month with something like

250mb space
5gig transfer
most scripts
and a bunch of other stuff the usual I guess.

For an OS I would reccommend Slackware or FreeBsd. Then RedHat.

Slackware and FreeBsd are a little harder to install, but if you are planning on hosting, then they are worth it in terms of security.

I think I might just use red hat, it seems to be common and the simpilist way to go, but give me more info on it

You've got to be kidding me.

You actually think people will pay you for hosting out of your own home?

ROTFLMAO

And even if you did use a satelite connection, don't. Uploading would take ages and the pings would be horrible.

Originally posted by guitarnerd
Well, I will either run it out of my house on 1.5mbps DSL or host it from a place that has dual satelite connection, which is basically T3, but Im not sure how I would set up my Ip address with them

Dual Satellites connection are NOT T3. And 1.5mbps DSL is crap. IF you want to offer paid hosting, you need at least Dual T3. and very cheap prices(cheaper than Myacen). Trust me, people wont pay for slow hosting.

Back