• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Yahoo freezing Geocities accounts

Originally posted by Asian_DOC
Everyone hates companies that buyout other company then change their services and TOS.

Or they buyout other companies then close them down, like NBCi has with Xoom.com. If Xoom.com didn't sell out, maybe they'd still be alive today, like its xoom.fr and xoom.it counterparts are.

Originally posted by meow
Is that easy to remember?
Come on, meow... read! I said: "...I was swept along by the Geo-craze and the race for easier to remember Neighborhoods and numbers..." I'll take 7890 over 7301 any day.

Huh? :confused:
Have you ever been with GeoCities back in the old days? The URLs goes http://www.geocities.com/Neighborhood/Suburb/#### The craze back then was to
1) get a home in a neighborhood (not a suburb) as in geocities.com/Neighborhood/#### <-- that's what I meant by "easier to remember neighborhoods".
2) get a home in a suburb with a short name, like geocities.com/Tokyo/Bay/#### <-- that's what I meant by "easier to remember neighborhoods".
3) get a easy to remember number pattern, like 1000 or 1111 or 1234 or 6543 etc. <-- that's what I meant by "easier to remember numbers".

Huh? :D
/me picks up an iron pipe and gets into position

You're hopeless, meow. :rolleyes: It's impossible to explain this to someone who has never been at GeoShitties at the time when they had these ridiculously long URLs and when people actually paid lots of money per month for a little more space, a shorter URL, and the ability to create sub directories. ROTFLMAO

Why didn't they just move?
How am I supposed to know? :rolleyes:

Maybe because of the friendly support you get from the GeoShitties CLs... hehe, I was once a CL too. I helped people, like I do now. ;)

I remember the days of Geocities long url names and in a way it was cool tho. If you had well say your website was on computers and internet, it would be place in Silicon Valley Neighborhood and so on! But I don't really have to say this tho u know this as I do but explaining it to a newbie who doesn't know? Agree and true to that! Speaking of that doesn't Fortune City has something like that or something of that nature? I swear they do but I'm not sure! :)

Yeah, FortuneCity used to have those long URL's that ended with a number as well. Of course, now FC URL's are members.fortunecity.com/yourname/ .

heh Geocities in Japan still uses the urls like that than if thats the case some of us would get one if we knew how to read japanesse writings which is difficult! I used to know a little japanessee myself tho thats only cause my mom told me about it later in my life cause my dad at the time got station at Kadena AB, Okinawa, Japan at the time in 1973 and my mom and my brother join my dad at the time and so on and on! No I ain't japanessee I am all american!

Back