• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Yahoo freezing Geocities accounts

someone else

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-7122774.html?tag=lh

The gist: In an attempt to get more people to use their paid service, Yahoo will freeze any Geocities account that crosses a 3 Gb transfer limit.

Based on what's happened with (some) other free hosts, you know this is only step one. Geocities users should expect even more stuff like this in an attempt to force you into paid hosting as time goes on.

3gigs is not something the average free account uses, it is a good deal of traffic and while its sad to see that the biggest host out there is finnally feeling the slow down, its not like their hurting most average sites. Anyone using 3gigs of bandwidth has a site with tens to hudnreds of thousands and probably millions of visitors since geocities is pretty much images/html/txt only.

This is obviously not a good thing but is a smart mvoe. Geocities probably will never fall unless the internet totally dies as it was the first and continues to be the biggest but even the biggest has to adjust and this is rather minor espcially since most hosts limit users to 500 - 1000mb of transfer which is nothing near the 3000mb geocities now limits users to.

Personally I dont think much more int eh way of limits will come int he future, there may be mroe banners premoting paid hsoting, maybe larger banners on user sites and even prehaps the removal of some of the more advanced scripting features but even that would suprise me.

ps sorry about the spelling errors

Nah, I posted this here mainly FYI since I thought someone here might be interested. I quit using Geocities back when the only thing they required was a small "Geocities" button at the bottom of your page. :classic2:

3Gb is still a lot, true. I doubt many of their sites would be affected by it. Most with more traffic than that go to places like F2S instead (no ads), or at least places with ads that don't chew up some browsers due to heavy script-dependency.

I don't see them stopping at this though. Yahoo is in need of serious money because of the losses they incurred when they killed a lot of their income from XXX stuff. I'm not saying Yahoo is on the verge of disappearing or anything like that, just that they are on a major quest now for more money.

That's not just them though (to be fair). That's happening around the web. The days of IT companies spending millions and living in the red are over. The battle has switched from hyping/promotion to actually making a buck to survive. It had to happen. Too much stupidity happened in the days of the "IT boom".

Okay, I'm getting seriously off-topic. :rolleyes:

Yea true tho Deluxnetwork uses Windows NT/2000 for OS compare to Geocities using Linux/Unix type! So what the hell am I saying here anyways you know what I mean probably! Tho as according to cnet report that investors have been pressuring Yahoo to find sources of revenue beyond the troubled advertising sector! So thats all I can say for sure tho I dont have tendies to used that kind of bandwidth on geocities oh sure Tripod has better bandwidth than that of course! :)

Originally posted by MarlboroCowboy
Yea true tho Deluxnetwork uses Windows NT/2000 for OS compare to Geocities using Linux/Unix type! So what the hell am I saying here anyways you know what I mean probably! Tho as according to cnet report that investors have been pressuring Yahoo to find sources of revenue beyond the troubled advertising sector! So thats all I can say for sure tho I dont have tendies to used that kind of bandwidth on geocities oh sure Tripod has better bandwidth than that of course! :)
How do you know what kind of servers they use?

Back