• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Wow...censored?

Wow, that is *really* sick.

Looks like they are just suckering users into paying for their platinum account.

Hmm...you know, if I were an advertiser, I'm sure the companies I advertise for wouldn't mind that their ads are appearing on sites targetting places I don't even ship to.

he-he

Lucky if I live in Western Samoa !!!

Micronesia...I think USA still has some connections to it....

geeeeezzz..let Germany in but not Israel?

I think its just another game to make freebies misearable.

I've thought about that....

Yes..I have thought about that.

Advertise to an audience that is NEVER going to buy anything from you?

Otherwise it kinda seems a nail in the coffin (sp?) to the international nature of the ex-free internet.

If your in Iran or North Korea no worry anymore if the masses can't see anything on the web anymore.

geeeezzz...talk about them....soon USA people will only be able to see 'USA approved sites'...

Hmm...so, what would that be? 99% of the internet? More?

No one is stopping people from Israel, Iran or North Korea from paying for hosting on American servers. It's just that freebies don't have to be given to everyone, only when it is an advantage for the people giving them away.

ok talking about screwed up american patriotism here on board..

btw: you don't make 99% of the internet, thats the funniest I ever heard...

but let say you would make 99% of the internet don't you think It would be enough just to advertise only for american users? - think about it, while using the calculator..

I think 250free.com are just to lazy to make a good ad-management. Coz geocities, or tripod, or other freewebhosting companys who are working already for a long time, don't have such problemes.

Lucky me. Romania is banned :) Anyway i wouldn't ever sign up with them. As for the banned countries...you can always find an anonymous proxy ;)

:eek: I don't get why'd they block countries like Japan or Mexico. Jmiller is right, they most likely are doing this to sucker people into making their site accessable to the world.

As for the banned countries...you can always find an anonymous proxy

Can't they just block the anonymous proxy?

but let say you would make 99% of the internet don't you think It would be enough just to advertise only for american users? - think about it, while using the calculator.

I think he means that they've blocked 99% of the internet.

they can block so many anonymous proxys?

My guess is that they can if the proxy gives off a IP address of any sorts.

Originally posted by MaXAngel

My God, does no one look at the Location line? He lives in Canada!
And have you ever heard of sarcasm? He meant that the US serves a very large amount of internet traffic. I'd say at least 25%.

I tried looking up some demographic information, so far I found this : http://global-reach.biz/globstats/index.php3

I'm actually quite surprised. English speaking people are only 35%. So 25% of the online population being American is probably a good guess.

I think 250free.com are just to lazy to make a good ad-management.

Yes, or have trouble finding advertisers that are target a global audience. There are reasons for the banning of the country...it's like complaining they don't have a McPork sandwich at McDonald's in Pakistan. If they can't sell it to people, why would they want to market it.

EDIT:
This page too, by country : http://global-reach.biz/globstats/details.html

So, English speaking Americans make up about 26% of the online population.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Canuckkev
China now has more Internet users than the United States. An interesting tidbit that I'm sure a lot of you didn't know. Most Chinese people hang around on instant messenging services, though, so that's probably why they don't have much of a web presence.

In any case, that stupid list of "countries" was merely copied from the advertisers. It's not the first time I've seen that list, in fact. It's not very well updated either...as some of you have already noticed, there are some places up there that are definitely not countries (French Guiana [they spelled it wrong too], French Polynesia, Gibraltar, Guernsey, Macau, Turks and Caicos, etc.), and some others that are disputable (Palestine, Taiwan, Western Sahara). In addition, East Timor is listed out of alphabetical order for some odd reason, as they're already a internationally-recognized country.

No one is stopping people from Israel, Iran or North Korea from paying for hosting on American servers. It's just that freebies don't have to be given to everyone, only when it is an advantage for the people giving them away.
The point is that users from countries in that list cannot even view member sites.

Originally posted by jmiller
The point is that users from countries in that list cannot even view member sites.
Oh really? Then something really needs to be done. I think we should have a "Hall of Shame" for hosts who block traffic from certain countries, but there are only a handful of hosts who actually do this. HostUltra used to do this, but I guess he finally saw that what he was doing was morally wrong.

Yes, that makes much more sense that just not allowing people from those areas to sign up. The point still stands, if they aren't making money, why should their server resources be wasted on these visitors?

The point still stands, if they aren't making money, why should their server resources be wasted on these visitors?
As a moral obligation. But you're right in one sense...it is primarily the advertisers who should be held accountable.

Advertisers cannot always find companies that will want their ad to be shown to people from countries that have poor buying records when it comes to buying products online. Is it so wrong to be a capitalist?

From the page
Visitors to free accounts from these regions will not be permitted to view your site's content. Upgrading to Platinum will allow all visitors, including these regions, to view your site. In addition, if you are a visitor from these regions, you may join 250Free Platinum, assuming doing so would be in compliance with U.S. Federal and State laws, as well as your government's laws.

Back