• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

world's Fastest e-Mail service

<== WIN SUCKS

I have only used linux a few times and I honestly find it more stable than my win 98 se Os which crashes everytime I use my PC. Ok maybe linux is not designed for home users, but on the long run is still cheaper and better than WIN98

Re: <== WIN SUCKS

Originally posted by krooga.co.uk
I have only used linux a few times and I honestly find it more stable than my win 98 se Os which crashes everytime I use my PC. Ok maybe linux is not designed for home users, but on the long run is still cheaper and better than WIN98

Well jeez, its cheaper in the short run than Win98. But cheaper doesn't mean better.

Yes, Linux is stable. Yes linux is fast. Unfortunately, installing/uninstalling software is a bitch, finding software is a bitch, fixing problems is a bitch, and installing the OS itself is a bitch.

Windows 2000 is the OS to have. Not Windows 98. I've had 1 crash since I installed last september, and that was caused by Easy CD Creator (I hate that program). I don't reboot except for software installs or patches, and 2000 never falters.

I tried to give up Windows. I don't like Microsoft, because I don't like the power they have. But I failed. A week with only linux on my computer and I bailed out. No Flash, no Paint Shop Pro, no Unreal Tournament, no UltraEdit, no VB, no IE, no Outlook and no Dreamweaver. Basically, no advantages. The only program I really liked from Linux was Everybuddy, which let me connect to ICQ, Aim, MSN and Yahoo all at once. It was nice, since I hate ICQ and I use it and MSN all the time. But it was hardly a reason to use Linux.

I have copies of Solaris and FreeBSD burned to disc right now for when I get the anti-microsoft urge again. I'm even tempted to switch to a *nix flavour on my server, instead of Win2k, but if I do, I lose ASP, which I much prefer over PHP (I know, Chilisoft ASP, but I have no exp. with that).

Like it or not, Linux is not a viable alternative for 99% of users.

Re: Re: <== WIN SUCKS

Originally posted by puDDs

Well jeez, its cheaper in the short run than Win98. But cheaper doesn't mean better.

Yes, Linux is stable. Yes linux is fast. Unfortunately, installing/uninstalling software is a bitch, finding software is a bitch, fixing problems is a bitch, and installing the OS itself is a bitch.

Windows 2000 is the OS to have. Not Windows 98. I've had 1 crash since I installed last september, and that was caused by Easy CD Creator (I hate that program). I don't reboot except for software installs or patches, and 2000 never falters.

I tried to give up Windows. I don't like Microsoft, because I don't like the power they have. But I failed. A week with only linux on my computer and I bailed out. No Flash, no Paint Shop Pro, no Unreal Tournament, no UltraEdit, no VB, no IE, no Outlook and no Dreamweaver. Basically, no advantages. The only program I really liked from Linux was Everybuddy, which let me connect to ICQ, Aim, MSN and Yahoo all at once. It was nice, since I hate ICQ and I use it and MSN all the time. But it was hardly a reason to use Linux.

I have copies of Solaris and FreeBSD burned to disc right now for when I get the anti-microsoft urge again. I'm even tempted to switch to a *nix flavour on my server, instead of Win2k, but if I do, I lose ASP, which I much prefer over PHP (I know, Chilisoft ASP, but I have no exp. with that).

Like it or not, Linux is not a viable alternative for 99% of users.

I must agree with him. Win2k has been the best OS for me. Only one crash and it made my Pentium I with 64 MB of RAM feel like it was a PII with 32 MB RAM. Overall, I choose Win2k with puDD!

So far win2k has been the best for me. Im wondering if its safe to get xp... but right now there are just too many problems... Dont get linux... trust me...

Originally posted by Hayama-kun
puDD, can't you use Chillsoft ASP? :confused:

I probably could, and I probably will at some point, since I love tooling around with new stuff...learning Cold Fusion right now for that exact reason...

At the moment, tho, I question how well it would work my any components I use, and I'm almost sure it won't work with my Access DB, and since I have no interest whatsoever in databases, the prospect of learning a new one does not appeal to me...

Plus, paying $500 US for it kind of defeats the purpose of moving to a linux server...

I know a couple of good ones but they aren't in English so I guess they aren't of interest. You could give www.gmx.net a try. Good features, haven't had much problems with them. POP, SMTP, Webmail.

I'm still with everyone.net on a free top-level address. I couldn't get the big mail box thing to work for some odd reason.

Back