• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Why are some countries denied???

bobyx

Why do some ad companies (especially SI) reject webmasters from countries other than the so called developed countries??

(Albania, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Brazil, Bulgaria, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Czech Republic, Cuba, Estonia, Georgia, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Kaliningrad, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Korea (North and South), Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Malaysia, Moldova, Pakistan, Philippines, Poland, Romania, Russia, Saudia Arabia Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Syria, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Thailand, Trinidad, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Vietnam, and Yugoslavia)

Is it illegal to pay webmasters from these countries? Is there a problem to send a check there? Maybe they just don't want to earn money... :(

They have a higher chance at cheating their programs, so much higher that they find it un-competative and un-profitable to do it. I think. ;)

The other major reason is due to the fact that SI has to appeal to advertisers as much as to publishers.

You'll notice that all of the countries appearing on the banned list have a language other than English as their nation's official tongue. For this reason, advertisers (whose ads and/or sites are presented in English) realise that they would be wasting much of their budget if their ads appeared on non-English sites.

not to mention

the advertisers want to advertise their products to people that actually have money to buy their products. No offense, but most of those countries are pretty poor, with a fairly poor population as well.

Bulgaria, specifically, has a bad reputation due to the origination of many computer viruses there. At one point, at least, Bulgaria led the entire world (ahead of the U.S., Russia, the rest of Europe, Japan, etc.) as the breeding ground for new computer viruses. And, last I heard, Bulgaria had no laws restricting the creation or dissemination of viruses, and in any event, no resources to enforce such laws even if they were enacted.

An article in a computer security magazine a couple of years ago chronicled the difficulties this has created for legitimate and often highly skilled computer professionals of Bulgarian origin who attempt to find jobs elsewhere in the world.

Or, in general, imagine being a U.S. person or company who is the victim of a swindle perpetrated in one of those countries. For example, let's say your phone credit card number was used to make hundreds of calls to or from some less-developed, non-English speaking country. The investigation of the fraud would be difficult, expensive, and require the full cooperation of an often hostile and corrupt foreign police service. I don't think AT&T even bothers.

Arguably, it's unfair to refuse to deal with customers (or in this case webmasters) from such countries, but given the practical difficulties, I can sort of sympathize.

i think theres a list somewhere of all the banned countried businesses in the US are not supposed to do business with...anyone know of one? Most of these countries have some bone to pick with the US or the other way around...whether it be security risks, trade embargoes (sp?), etc.

None of the above

I wrote to SI why I is my country being denied? and he said it's because of the cost of posting cheques and other processing costs..they come out too high.

Originally posted by Czar
You'll notice that all of the countries appearing on the banned list have a language other than English as their nation's official tongue. For this reason, advertisers (whose ads and/or sites are presented in English) realise that they would be wasting much of their budget if their ads appeared on non-English sites.

If that were the real problem, then sponsors could just specify that they will only accept English-language sites. And perhaps also specify that the sites must appeal to a US audience and/or have significant US traffic.

Reasons for country-based restrictions:

1. High fraud rates in some countries inspire some advertisers to decide it isn't worth the hassle to aquire the honest publishers in those places while booting all the cheaters.

2. Certain countries (Cuba, Vietnam, Lybia, Iraq, and North Korea), are on a US government blacklist restricting American companies from doing business with companies or individuals in those places.

3. Sponsors may be aware of very high banking fees for deposting/converting US-dollar cheques in certain countries, which would consume a large portion of a publisher's payments.

4. In *some* cases, it is just a matter of ignorance. Some sponsors will actually say that, since their products/services are directed towards Americans, they will reject *all* non-US-based publishers, suggesting that they think that the publisher's location somehow automatically indicates/restricts the visitors' locations. I have received this type of rejection a few times, even with a site which is in English, has *very* US-centric content (including much which is useful *only* to Americans), and with other US-directed sponsors performing decently.

4. ... they will reject *all* non-US-based publishers, suggesting that they think that the publisher's location somehow automatically indicates/restricts the visitors' locations. ...
I can see why you're ticked off by this, and you've got a counter-example... But you must admit, it usually is this way...

If that were the real problem, then sponsors could just specify that they will only accept English-language sites. And perhaps also specify that the sites must appeal to a US audience and/or have significant US traffic.

And would you like some hefty overheads with that, SIr?

For SI, or affiliate managers such as they, who accept sites instantly, and who manage 1000s of individual accounts, checking each site manually and making a judgement (or seeking evidence) as to the proportion of its visitors who are US-based would result in additional expenses that are not consistent with the program's goals.

Keep in mind also that SI and others allow you to host their creatives on any site that you own, as long as it conforms to their terms and conditions, without informing them in advance.

3. Sponsors may be aware of very high banking fees for deposting/converting US-dollar cheques in certain countries, which would consume a large portion of a publisher's payments.

Why would they care about this? Isn't this even more incentive for foreign publishers to push their programs harder, in order to minimise the proprtion of their revenue that is eaten away by transaction fees?

Also, most programs (including SI's) allow you to specify your own minimum payment threshold. Thus, you can stick with their $25 default, or request that no checks are sent until $100 is reached.

the real & only reasons are the high rate of fraud coming from these countries and the inability of US businesses to prosecute criminals in other countries.
Bank fees don't matter, postage, etc.

most ad agnecies accept your site regardles of your location as long it's in english. SI is an exception

I don't think so...

b, although "most" is a very broad term, your assumption that SI is an exception in this is incorrect.

I would suggest that the majority of online ad networks restrict certain countries from participation in their programs, and that 25-50% restrict participation to just a handful of major English-speaking nations.

Some examples:
1. WebsiteSponsors
2. Websponsors.com
3. MailBits
4. AdFlight
5. ADictive
6. etc, etc, etc...

If you were from Korea, China or Iraq, I think you'd soon notice just how wide such restrictions extend.

because of my job i have lived in 3 different countries in the last 3 years and i have used adflight, websponsors and both have sent me the check overseas (japan, jordan, germany)
how many people live in iraq and own a website?
none
all sites are owned by the government.
SI is an exception!
tell me an ad company that refuse webmasters from at least 30 countries?
websitesponsors does not mention that on their website

Originally posted by b

tell me an ad company that refuse webmasters from at least 30 countries?
websitesponsors does not mention that on their website

from the top of my head, tripod, terrashare and aadzz.

OK, the first two are hosts but they do pay ad revenue to webmasters in the US and Canada.

Of the companies that I have looked at recently, about 40% have substantial restrictions.

Also, there is one other reason for advertisers imposing restrictions that nobody has spotted. That is tax. A US ad agency is in trouble if it pays a webmaster in the US who then fails to pay income tax. A small number of agencies pay only to US webmasters who can quote a US SS number. They prefer to do that because they have a higher paperwork overhead if they pay non-US webmasters and then have to demonstrate to their tax assessors that they are not paying US webmasters who are using an overseas address.

The claims that others have made about language just do not hold up. At least two of the countries in the list that started this thread have English as an official language and another (second most populous country in the world) has English as an "Associate" language. Furthermore, there are many many countries that do not have English as an official language which are allowed.

I am also rather bemused by the claim that Japan, and all Eastern European countries are not developed nations.

jpoc

Back