• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Which registrar should I use?

stu

boogie with stu
NLC
I've been reading alot of the old posts in this forum about domain registration. Certain registrars have caught my eye so far. Which of these have the best support and adminstration tools? As well, are there any quirks or catches with this registrars?

www.gkg.net
www.registerfly.com
www.powerpipe.com
www.weblaunching.net
www.dotster.com

I've also been reading stuff about OpenSRS resellers. What are they exactly and what are the benefits of using them as a registrar? Should I be looking for an OpenSRS registrar or it doesn't really matter?

Thanks...

Last edited:
Hello,

I have a problem with GKG (I think) 'caus when you wanna quit for another registrar, you have to pay $200 for each domain !:eek:

Originally posted by truedomain
Hello,

I have a problem with GKG (I think) 'caus when you wanna quit for another registrar, you have to pay $200 for each domain !:eek:

Sorry, I was in a bad mood when I posted a messge and realized that you aren't trying to be annoying or anything, and that you just simply are confused by the wording.

Please see my explanation of the $200 reference in the TOS here:
http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/showthread.php?&threadid=5471

Last edited:
1millionfreedomains.com was posted by happy2k a few days ago. If I read the site information right, you pay $7.95 once and after three months, after they're sure you are actually using the domain, they refund your $7.95. So I guess you get the domain for free. I don't have any experience with them though...

Originally posted by WorldWarGeneral
1millionfreedomains.com was posted by happy2k a few days ago. If I read the site information right, you pay $7.95 once and after three months, after they're sure you are actually using the domain, they refund your $7.95. So I guess you get the domain for free. I don't have any experience with them though...

nah, but thanks anyway.. I'm going to pay for this one. Price doesn't matter too much since I'm willing to pay for a good service. But under $20 ideally, since most registrars seem competitive around the $10-15 dollar range.

I did more research, leaning towards
www.000domains.com
www.stargateinc.com
www.powerpipe.com

I have domains with 000domains.com and dotster, and I think both are good. Dotster is slightly more expensive, but its domain manager interface is very nice.

With 000domains.com (or other OpenSRS reseller), things are easier because you can log in from any reseller and manage your domain. 000domains.com support is also very good. They reply to my email in 4 hours (considering that it's midnight in US). Plus, they are faster in updating their database. I changed my contact email this morning at both Dotster and 000domains, and the one at 000domains is already updated everywhere while the one at Dotster is not yet (ever at Dotster itself. Strange, isn't it? :confused: )

Well, I lean toward 000domains.com
HTH!

Last edited:
Joker.com

I've been using joker.com pretty much ever since it started. They used to be a part of CORE, but now they are their own registrar.

They have nice web forms, good price (about 11.50 or so), and if you want, they even will be your nameservers for free.

-mk

Yup, 000domains all the way!

Tho... I havnt actually tried any others... heh.

Powerpipe is cheaper... are they any good?

OpenSRS updates their WHOIS information instantly, which is one major advantage that other registrars do not provide.

If you update your phone number, for example, and then go check the WHOIS at http://whois.opensrs.net, it will already be updated.

Most registrars update WHOIS only once or twice per day.

This is why the change with 000domains.com (or any other OpenSRS RSP) was so fast.

Also, a previous post was correct - you can manage your OpenSRS registered domain at any other OpenSRS partner's site, or you can do it directly from http://manage.opensrs.net.

hmm.. well, WHOIS updates aren't too important to me... is there any reason to choose 000domains.com over other OpenSRS resellers? I still don't understand what makes them better than the others...

I'm leaning towards www.stargateinc.com . They've got a deal up where you can grab 2 domains for $8 each.. Pretty darn cheap, and I've read good things from them...

www.bargainname.com are quite good. They are resellers of gkg.net but the price you pay for a registration is cheaper : only $8.95.

They are fast and reliable, I think. No problem with them.

When you register online, you receive in less than five minutes two mails : the first one is the billing and the second one the confirmation of the registration.:cool:

weblaunching.net has something to do with tera-byte. theyhave the same login panel and offer redirections for $5.00 like redirection.net

weblaunching.net is an OpenSRS reseller. From what I've been told, all OpenSRS resellers have the same control panel, and you can manage your domain at any OpenSRS affiliate's control panel...

my question is still unanswered. if 000domains.com is an OpenSRS affiliate, what makes them better than any other? why are so many saying that 000domains.com is the best? they aren't the cheapest.. so what do they have to offer?

Back