• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Which is better Windows Or Linux

I want to know from you whether Linux in better than Windows or Vive versa

Also clarify me regarding about security in Windows and Linux and which is better?

In matters of security, Linux all the way.

It's hard to say if one of those is better than the other, as it depends on the user

linux can be just as vulnerable as windows if not more so. I think the general users linux home based computer is far more vulnerable than a general users windows machine.

with anything its all based on what is between the chair and the keyboard

I disagree strongly, the Viruses that sado's sit and make in their mums basements do not do any damage to *nix machines, Windows is heavily targeted.

Linux is a stable strong and robust environment, having the ability to run windows apps with emulators and still carry the linux kernel to do nearly anything else, when you install a VM on a windows box the performance of the host machine is degraded considerably.

The main difference for most users is the sheer amount of softwares available for Windows makes it an easy option, however, as mentioned, anything windows can do *nix can do 5x faster, and still be open source, free to get and update ( most distros ).

Some linux distros however, are not what I would call user friendly, it takes some time to get used to the way things work, sometimes new hardware can be a headache, more and more equipment is supported natively by the *nix kernel as standard, but if it's not, chances are the company who made it don't have a budget for *nix environments, and so you'l be pretty stuck.

I use windows most of the time, however, I use Linux aswell, and enjoy doing so.

If Linux was insecure then 60% of the internet wouldn't rely on it would they....

As for "Longhorn/Vista" or whatever they eventually call it, at this moment in time, it's total and utter crap, not to mention the fact, its been on it's way for nearly 4 years now. It'll be mostly eye candy when it does come out, and still smacking of XP SP6, if the misses was a little more competent on the pc I swear I'd throw windows straight in the bin, and never look back.

Overall I have to say windows is more secure for one main reason.... since windows is much more compatible with apps and devices and much more common, it is targeted more and with the basics, the more you are flexible and compatible, the more you are vurnable. However, windows realeses patches very quickly as soon as the security hole is found. with linux, it could take some time before it is released. :)

ITahmed said:
Overall I have to say windows is more secure for one main reason.... since windows is much more compatible with apps and devices and much more common, it is targeted more and with the basics, the more you are flexible and compatible, the more you are vurnable. However, windows realeses patches very quickly as soon as the security hole is found. with linux, it could take some time before it is released. :)

Not true, Windows is not more secure than *nix at all, 60% of the internet use *nix for their server, that's an incredile statistic considering how hard microsoft have a grip of the market.

Windows is and always will be Eye Candy, and that's it, it does nothing particularly wel, and the only reason ppl use it is because of a fear of the unknown, we'll see what happens when vista comes out and M$ are asking for $500 and upwards for it......

I prefer Windows for its ease of use and compatibility with most applications if not all. Obviously, Virus creators are going to target Windows as most of the people still use Windows and not Linux for most uses.

A well setup Windows box will be secure, however I'd guess most Windows boxes are not well setup though and therefore insecure :(

monaghan said:
A well setup Windows box will be secure, however I'd guess most Windows boxes are not well setup though and therefore insecure :(

Agree with you. By the way, for a normal (newbie) user, Windows is fine. For an experienced user, nothing can be better than a *nix os.

KRAK_JOE said:
Not true, Windows is not more secure than *nix at all, 60% of the internet use *nix for their server, that's an incredile statistic considering how hard microsoft have a grip of the market.

Windows is and always will be Eye Candy, and that's it, it does nothing particularly wel, and the only reason ppl use it is because of a fear of the unknown, we'll see what happens when vista comes out and M$ are asking for $500 and upwards for it......
It can go either way...... If you are talking about web servers, I would agree with you. If you are talking about file servers, MS is certainly a leader. if you are talking about enterprise networks and administration (Linux does not exist) if you are talking about managing workstations from a certralized location (Not sure about linux, but M$ rocks here) if you are talking about support and documentation MS is better. If you are talking about stand alone server security I would say linux is probably better. If you are talking about desktop security I would have to lean towards MS.
Now when it comes to the price obviously Linux is cheaper by far.
the real threat to a system whether it is a *nix or windows, it is really the user himself. There are certain measures a user should take to make the machine secure and safe to use. the question is similar to which is more reliable Toyota or Honda.... it really depends on the driver :) :beer:

Sure was. So we end this thread that Mac is the answer though it has nothing to do with it lol :D
PS(Windows for file server???? It would impossible cause people would upload virsuses and crash the server)

Daniel said:
Macs are based on BSD, not Linux.
No, Mac OS X is based on Mach, with a BSD userland (with a proprietary GUI running on top of the mainly open source core (Darwin)).

ITahmed said:
However, windows realeses patches very quickly as soon as the security hole is found. with linux, it could take some time before it is released. :)

That's a joke, right? Windows patches usually take several months to get released, while Linux patches are usually along the lines of several hours.

I prefer Windows for its user friendliness and customization features. But the problem with it is that all most all the Virus creators target it.

Virus creators only target Windows because most people use it, if most people used Linux then you'd see more script kiddys creating viruses/trojans etc for that.

I prefer Windows as my desktop computer but all my servers are always Linux.

Back