• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

When was the first time you hooked up to the "information superhighway"

Gayowulf

G-d
NLC
When was the first time you hooked "online" whether it be a BBS or telnet or just the www relate some experiences.

my very first time was before there were any fancy "browsers" the extent of the eye candy was ascii art, none of this flash stuff. it was a bbs in 1993 with a 2.4kbps modem. its come a long way since then.

i was on at the latest by 1993 with a text only browser. Now this was when i was 8

i was only 7.. my dad showed it to me..

i didn't use it alot until yahooligans came out :)

first web page was on my local hard disk.. just something to amuse myself..

Re:

I first came online in early 1996 to play yahoo games like hang man, hehe! I didn't really use the internet until Fall of 1997 when I made my first webpage, and played an online RPG game.

Been hooked since.

(I was 12 back in 1996, BTW)

I got on in October of 1997 as a bored 12 year old with lots of free time periodically, playing games at the Sony Station -- next was Sony Chat for a while -- then it was Yahoo Chat and Games -- then in February of 1998 I just had to know how to make my own website... it took me forever to learn how domains worked.. lol. Anyway -- here I am today with a few successful websites. I really wish I had gotten on the Internet sooner but oh well.

[Edited by XRSmith on 11-24-2000 at 03:58 AM]

I'm addicted since early 1996 when 28k8 was standard, ISPs were still robbing you for every hour you went online and and after the ISP robbery, the phone company came to take whatever money you had left.

Thank god for cable.

I first starting calling BBS's (with a 14.4 modem) in 1993 and then ran my own BBS (also titled "The Alexia Cafe") from 1994 to 1997... I had networked message bases that appeared on many other boards around the country... Some were even international. I also knew about 50-60% of the other BBS owners around Phoenix. Thanks to the networked bases, everyone got to know each other and we used to get together and have parties about once a month. It was a blast! :)

The internet's proliferation actually helped kill all that. Everyone was spending so much time on the 'net that they just gave up their boards. I've been on the 'net from about 1996 on... I was one of the last here to shut down their boards.

Well I got addicted to the internet in the mid 90's (either 95 or 96). I mostly played telnet multi-player games over a free internet connection from the local university. It used to take over 30 minutes to connect to the internet becuase the modem pool was so small at the time. I was using a 486SX 33mhz computer, with 16mb of ram, Windows 3.1, and a 28.8k modem. I started making a personal page in 1997 and I bought my first domain in early 1999.

[Edited by Koolguy on 11-24-2000 at 03:03 PM]

started BBSing at 1986.

first connected to internet 1992.. text based..

1996 - BBS's die out, and been fully on the net since then.

My parents got Prodigy for the family when i was 10 ... so that would be 1991 or so. I started BBSing in 1993 or 1994 and learned about the wonders of shell accounts shortly thereafter. Made my first web page in 1995, I think. It was Mosiac-compliant. :)

And do you know what I miss most? Legend of the Red Dragon. Gah. Fit of nostalgia. I should beat up the people who promised to port that to Linux until they finish so I can run a LORD server at school... that would make me blissfully happy.

Got a computer in 1995 (still have the peice of crap, it dont work), went on the net with AOL in 1996... and I was the typical "AOLer", running around in chats, asking retarded questions, the whole nine yards. I had to learn somehow..no?

Made my first webpage in late 1997 (http://kirk3_16.tripod.com its still there) and since then have gotten into web programming, graphic design, and stuff. Going to college in the spring to study computer science, fine arts, and computer programming (or so I want everyone to believe).

Wow, I'd say probably somewhere in the range of 1992-1993. I loved FTP and Gopher. When Mosiac NetScape came out I wondered why anyone would ever want to use that, and so I happily used gopher for a while after that.

mjk@atlascgi.com

Originally posted by robin
And do you know what I miss most? Legend of the Red Dragon. Gah. Fit of nostalgia. I should beat up the people who promised to port that to Linux until they finish so I can run a LORD server at school... that would make me blissfully happy.

LORD, ah the memories... those were the days...
RETURNING TO THE MUNDANE WORLD

Originally posted by robin
My parents got Prodigy for the family when i was 10 ... so that would be 1991 or so. I started BBSing in 1993 or 1994 and learned about the wonders of shell accounts shortly thereafter. Made my first web page in 1995, I think. It was Mosiac-compliant. :)

Ah, I forgot about Prodigy... That was my first online experience, but they weren't hooked to the internet at that time... Just their own self-contained system.

Ah, I forgot about LORD... I had it on my board... It was fun trying out the different add-ons for it... Some were cool, others were unstable and would lock-up the system. Did you ever play "Usurper"? That was like LORD on steroids. :)

LORD...my goodness LOL!... I remember that door...it was fun, 'cause it was in real time and I could yell at people in the game or on the BBS..anyway...my experience? I remember BBSing since 1991, just a site with a million files to download. Then BBSing again from 1991-1993 (on a 2400 baud modem) and then got SLIP and what was the name of that program we useD? Spider something..it was slow...and then got the net in 1996, bought a 28k modem and that's what I've been doing ever since. ...They should make LORD for the internet..a java client or something LOL ;)

Don't remember EXACTLY when, but I think it was 1996, or late 1995. Around that time. Two main intentions to get hooked, at that time: 1) some friends got it and it seemed fun and cool. 2) wanted to play Warcraft2 on Kali... (hehe)

Later on I read some HTML-teaching section on a newspaper and I then started to play with HTML... then eventually started a personal homepage, and later on eventually it turned to agum.com.. =)

Originally posted by Hobbes
LORD...my goodness LOL!... I remember that door...it was fun, 'cause it was in real time and I could yell at people in the game or on the BBS..anyway...my experience? I remember BBSing since 1991, just a site with a million files to download. Then BBSing again from 1991-1993 (on a 2400 baud modem) and then got SLIP and what was the name of that program we useD? Spider something..it was slow...and then got the net in 1996, bought a 28k modem and that's what I've been doing ever since. ...They should make LORD for the internet..a java client or something LOL ;)

That's right... I actually did use a 2400 modem, briefly, when I first started... All I really did at that point was call a couple of chat boards. I think I used it for a month before I got the 14.4.

Originally posted by Agum
Don't remember EXACTLY when, but I think it was 1996, or late 1995. Around that time. Two main intentions to get hooked, at that time: 1) some friends got it and it seemed fun and cool. 2) wanted to play Warcraft2 on Kali... (hehe)

Later on I read some HTML-teaching section on a newspaper and I then started to play with HTML... then eventually started a personal homepage, and later on eventually it turned to agum.com.. =)

Yup. Remember how FAST everything would download on a 2400baud modem? LOL...once we got the internet we ditched that cause surfing places with it was slower than the death march...after that I started learning HTML, then CGI & Perl, and then I had my own dozen websites (lol...) but no domain yet ;)-- however, I doubt that will happen 'cause I'm content without it.

Back