• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What is your opinion on HostGator ? Please Help me decide !

thedarkknight

Hi everyone,
Has anyone here used HostGator ? What is your opinion on them ? I am planning on hosting a very busy forum with them. Does anyone here know about their server speeds & reliability ?
When i noticed their plans it looked like they are overselling.... but still how is their service ? Does anyone here have any good/bad experiences with them ?

My forum is a really busy place{smf based forum without attachments, just plain forum} with atleast 400 people logging in everyday & 1000+ unique hits & 15000 page loads per day, do you think their shared hosting plans {at 9.95$} can take the forum load and till serve up the pages fast ?

Please speak up & express your views. i need to decide soon :)

Thanks guys...

Your site will be terminated within a week for "Excessive CPU usage". Don't go by price and specification alone, they do not give you the time or resources to use hardly any of it up.

With a forum that busy, you should pick up a dedicated server or VPS.

Mmmm... I don't plan on taking a VPS just yet, may be in a month or so. So meanwhile what can you recommend ?

Nothing. Your site has pretty much out-grown shared hosting, anyone offering you hosting would soon suspend your account for using up too much of their server.

Something with at least 256MB RAM and a basic control panel.

If you are interested in a VPS, please PM me your budget (We have VPS's starting from $11.95/month, going up to $49.99/month) and I can give you a 48 hours test account for you to check everything is up to your standard.

Your site will be terminated within a week for "Excessive CPU usage". Don't go by price and specification alone, they do not give you the time or resources to use hardly any of it up.

With a forum that busy, you should pick up a dedicated server or VPS.

Your joking right? Host Gator should be fine for you, I don't see why you should pay more money. Its not going to use that much resources.

Your joking right? Host Gator should be fine for you, I don't see why you should pay more money. Its not going to use that much resources.

Now i am confused :confused4

I'll give a clear view on my forums stats - In the past two days i had 724 new members and page views of 36024. At any given time 60-80 members will be online, sometimes it's 100-125.

Considering the above facts, Do you still think hostgator will suit my needs {without them suspending me for Over usage of CPU ?}

All opinions/comments are welcome, thank you.

Do you even know of thier limits:

http://forums.hostgator.com/showthread.php?t=14764

I will quote one:

To limit load, HostGator applies a 30 mySQL connection limit.

Load limits are specified in the TOS http://hostgator.com/tos.shtml

Generally speaking, if you have less than 7,000 - 15,000 visitors a day and don't run scripts that tax the CPU, you will be just fine.

The OP cleary states:

My forum is a really busy place{smf based forum without attachments, just plain forum} with atleast 400 people logging in everyday & 1000+ unique hits & 15000 page loads per day

A forum is a very CPU intensive script, and with 1,000 uniques and 15,000 visits per day, the account would be suspended from hostgator within a week. Also, you should not forget the mySQL limit, which is also a bitch, if you have over 30 people logged into the forum at one time, kiss them goodbye due to the "Too many mySQL connections, please try again later" error message.

100+ now...
Anyway i have decided to go with a vps with Galaxy Solutions {Richard}

@Jan
Brent actually replied to the mail ;) {i am surprised, explains a lot about his commitment towards hostgator - really respect that}

Anyway he explained that even a VPS would not be enough in a month & i should start looking for a dedicated soon if this growth continues.

Anyway he explained that even a VPS would not be enough in a month & i should start looking for a dedicated soon if this growth continues.

And he is absolutely correct.
If your forums are growing that fast you will need a place to accomodate the growth and even a large VPS will hardly help you.
Investing in a dedicated box, where you have full control is always a good choice for an established website, forum, business etc.

Best of luck with it.

100+ now...
Anyway i have decided to go with a vps with Galaxy Solutions {Richard}

@Jan
Brent actually replied to the mail ;) {i am surprised, explains a lot about his commitment towards hostgator - really respect that}

Tell us how the VPS works out for you.

And Brent is correct. At the rate your forums are growing, you will be needing a dedicated solution soon.

I am quite Happy with the VPS from Galaxy Solutions. Excellent support, Richard was there with me & helped me out with every step when i was moving the site from the old server to the new one. I was able to move my site with almost no downtime because of this. I would highly recommend Galaxy Solutions to everyone reading this thread.

The growth rate of my site has slowed down a bit (from 300-500 new users per day to 200-300). But still activity has increased and so has the load on the server. I did encounter few glicthes with the VPS {pages taking time to load , nonresponsive etc} but those where due to the overload my site gave sometimes. Two days ago Users online peaked and the VPS couldn't handle it, had to reboot to get the site up again. My support ticket for this was answered promptly and they even increased my burstable ram by 128 MB for me to handle that traffic temporarily. I am planning to upgrade to more powerful VPS in June. Hope the current VPS is able to handle it till then.

Thumbs up to Richard :)

thedarkknight,

Thank you very much for the review, it really does mean allot to us. :). I'm glad we were able to provide a service that you quite literally, wrote home about. Once again, thank you very much.

Regards,
Richard Anderson
Galaxy Solutions, LLC

Back