• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What is an easy way of updating web stuffs?

Lt.Steele

Ok...here is the situation

I currently have 40 web pages with huge links in every page which are suppose to be the same. If i want to add a new html page, i then must update EVERY single links in each page as well. What can i do so it would be very easy to update? For example, i update a file and then it automatically updates everything for me :) I do NOT want a framed web page, it then makes my web looks crap :(

the best way would be to use ssi.. not sure about the exact way of doing it but if i remember correctly make a page and modify all your pages to call that one page. then just update that one page when you need to change the links.

The best way is to get an html editor that supports templates like dreamweaver... this allows you to update one page without having to do all the others.

Originally posted by chicos
the best way would be to use ssi.. not sure about the exact way of doing it but if i remember correctly make a page and modify all your pages to call that one page. then just update that one page when you need to change the links.
Actually a better way would be to include the file with php, much faster.

Get your code here...

This is the code for SSI and PHP.
SSI:
Code:
<!--#include file="links.html" -->
This is if your file that you want to include is named links.html. Your page that you use this on must end in .shtml

PHP:
Code:
<? include "links.html" ?>
This is if the file that has the links in it is named links.html. your page must end in .php or .php3 what every your host wants you to use.

php as it does not use as many system resources and its also an easy language to learn. I just bought a php4 book "teach yourself php4 in 24 hours ". Part of the sams teach yourself range and id say i have a very good understanding of it now.

The best way isn't using PHP. It's quite annoying to have all your html docs to php docs. A more efficient way is to make a generalized template and have a perl script build all of your pages from that template.

Less server load, as well as being "cleaner"

mjk@atlascgi.com

Back