• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

what happens to kg domain's after one year?

LastActionHero

WBBMods.com
NLC
Can they be renewed? or they follow the namerzero way?
I looked at the whois of some kg domains and all expire 1 year after they were registered. (actually 15 days before one year :confused: )

Some of my domains expire at the end of the year, although registered in February (and listed with whois), some expire exactly after 1 year.

I would suggest that free domains expire at the end of the year, so it is easier to renew them. How does the renewal work with free *.*.ru-domains?

Originally posted by Mandrake
No one knows... Nobody's had one for a year yet.

Which is why I would urge caution if you're thinking of going all out to use your domain for any serious purpose.

(After all, if you have to eventually pay for something, you might as well just pay for a .com, .net or .org domain from the start. Unless of course you live in that country.)

Originally posted by fatman

Which is why I would urge caution if you're thinking of going all out to use your domain for any serious purpose.

(After all, if you have to eventually pay for something, you might as well just pay for a .com, .net or .org domain from the start. Unless of course you live in that country.)

i completely concur

I have an idea, If everybody posts the date his domain exipires, the person who's exipires the fastest can tell us then how it went. My date:
Record expires on Thu Apr 4 23:41:08 2002

I believe that there is no expiration date earlier than the end of the year. Does anyone's whois show an earlier date?

And again my question. How does the renewal work with *.*.ru domains? I think there is a good chance, that they make it similar.

Come on, old ru'ers!

Someone must have had a *.*ru for more than a year. Just to reregister or what?

I'm thinking woofcat might have an answer, but I haven't seen him (her?) around lately...

i had a faster idea and emailed them......

here is the question...
what happens after 1 year with my .com.kg domain?

can i renew for free?

thanks

here is the reply...
Hello,

nothing will happens with your 3-rd level domains.

hm@asiainfo.kg

He - and what does that mean? That they won't even expire? These oracle answers... :confused:

They probably mean that nothing will change. They won't take them away from us and they will stay free. Would be nice with a more explicit answer though.

Actually, even if they give an explicit answer, it does not guarantee anything. Since it is free, they can later say that due to some reason or other, they have to terminate this arrangement when the domain name expires but you can keep that name for a small fee. Having said that, I suppose that since they have stated that it'll remain free, there is a chance that it will be free in the near future (until such time they find that it's more lucrative to get people to pay).

(But I personally still prefer to register .com, .org, .net domains for serious sites. But then of course, I'm not situated in K... [ whatever that country is - forgot how to spell it ].)

AFAIK Bulgarian domains were free at the start, but then they changed their mind and you had to pay for it. But those domains which were signed-up for free are still free.

I agree, for a site which earns money, you should choose a com/net/org, but why shouldn't one use a *.*.kg as an entry page for a com-domain? IMO there is no big difference to co.uk-domains which cost money. (ok, uk is better known than kg)

It's just one letter shorter! :)

I've always wondered why some countries use .co.xx and others are .com.xx ... Except the jokers at .mu which seem to use both, and then forget about it.

In the case of com.ru, com.kg and so on I guess they just want to mimic the well known extensions for their giveaways. Is it only US that doesn't have a country name domain btw?

In Sweden only companies that fill certain criteria can buy second level domains. The rest of us have to use third level: *.pp.se. And they are expensive too. Here .nu is popular since "nu" in Swedish means "now".

Back