• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What do you want in a 'Gameserver'

Decker

Officially Old!
NLC
Okay question as is :)

What games would you like to see offered, what features, how many player and at what price.

Once a few suggestions are made I'll do a poll, and yes I have a reason for asking :wink2:

Counter Strike: Source is the game i play mostly.
To be frank, there aren't ANY decent servers out there.
They either have too many slots and not enough RAM to support it.
Depends entirely on the amount of slots / server.
i would say, 20 slots min, 16 if thats the best, i'd settle for £1/slot, the max i would say is £2/slot. about 4GB RAM for 20 slots, with a decent connection.
Dual core min too. no teamspeak/ventrilo, that's the worst thing when getting a game server, it takes more priority over the server itself i've seen.

I don't game, so I asked my 16 yr old, the gamer about this one. His requests:
1. A server that is not overloaded.
2. A server with good registration. He says that it's hard to find one where the shots register well.
3. Good network latency and ping times.
4. Geographical location for network. This is a real problem for us here on our huge Canadian ISP as for some reason they like to route everything through Chicago. He tends to do well on Midwest US servers like Chicago. A lot of Canadian servers are a lot further away routing wise.
5. While price is somewhat important, it is not the entire game. He has paid more for what he has seen as a quality server with less load and better network times. $2-$3 per slot is not unreasonable but he has paid $4/slot.
6. Ventrilo can be on the same server, but only if it is not overloaded. He does like Vent.
7 Games: CS and CS Source

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses so far :)

I've seen so many people looking for a quality gameserver and have friends constantly asking me to do one so they can play 'properly' as they put it :D

So here's the reason, I'm planning to do one to start as a trial to see how it goes.

1. Low latency, centrally placed to serve the geographic area targeted for each one. Looking into interconnecting these through managed routing to ensure shortest distance/best carrier for long haul inter team/clan gaming.

2. Optimised for the task, that's a bit more complex but worth it till I get an OS template done to deploy from then on.

3. Weekly booking in sets of slots (1-10 for individual and team play, max 20 slots per), yep just book for the weekends frag session with your clan or LAN party gaming partytime, so no more having to buy 6 months worth to keep a good set of slots for a challenge or competition match.

4. Maps/addons/whatever all on a seperate machine based with the booking and monitoring systems with multi-homed 1G NIC cards for fastest downloads of all those big files.

5. Vent running on a seperate server so it won't interfere with gaming, interlaced with each gaming slot set.

Lots more ideas too should make for god-killer gaming.

Not trying to out do battle.net and the like but about time the realism of gaming was recognised (HUGE) and catered for (again realistically).

So many shoddy commercial companies want blood (and not the virtual type) as well as your cash.

Some of the guys on here do a fine job of providing, so any chip ins welcomed :) as a network of providers may well be the future, not just one greedy one :devious2: (insert demonic laughter)

There would be one thing it would need above all - the House Clan!

So we can kick your asses and keep you booking for more :D

battle.net don't need the money ;D about time someone else did something, as you said, huge.
these servers you buy at the well known hosts, they do suck. it's just typical, charge it cheap, give them cheap.
good luck with it though.

Back