• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

want to register my first domain but want privacy

Xoomie

I never registered a domain name and i am planning on it so i went to godaddy today (which i would prefer to use because of price and icann cert) and i see that i must put alot of personal information into a public database... is there anyway that i could avoid that? possibly with another registrar??

Xoom

Nope all must follow the same rules. You must put the same information.

This is why you have to make your own rules. :D
EVERYONE--puts fake information when prompted to put address and name.

Originally posted by lotsofissues
EVERYONE--puts fake information when prompted to put address and name.
Oh no they don't :angry2: There are still a lot of honest people in this world :confused2

Originally posted by Jan

Oh no they don't :angry2: There are still a lot of honest people in this world :confused2
Well... all of my personal info is readily avaiable in the whois database (if anyone wants to gimme a call, go right ahead. :p), and I'll also give correct information to paid serivces like web hosts and such, but if I sign up for any free service, whether it be free email or hosting or whatever, there's no way in hell they're getting accurate information outta me.

There are registrars who will collect your information, verify it, and then use "placeholder" information in your whois records. The only ones I've seen however charge $150 a year for registration. It's not cheap due to the liability of the registrar in these situations.

When you sign up with anyone to register a domain, you agree to provide accurate contact information in your whois records. It's in every ICANN registrars Terms of Service by order of ICANN.

The registrar is responsible to see that you enter correct information. The requirement is clearly spelled out on the icann.org website.

If your information is suspect, and someone complains to your registrar, he has 15 days to contact you and for you to respond with accurate information or he is required under ICANN regulations to DELETE your domain.

Like it or not, you are required to register your domain with accurate contact information. If you choose not to do so, you run the risk of losing your domain without warning - assuming the your registrar cannot get ahold of you because you supplied inaccurate contact information!

-t

even if you provide fake names, your name is still on the credit card you used! and you can't register with a fake credit card. even if you provide fake info, your name can be found out using the credit card number.

That isn't entirely true Semjon. Some people have their parent's, friend's, spouse's CC details on the the details they enter.

I have a friend who has CC payment deducted every month from his girlfriend's CC account for his internet access. He just pays her cash each month. I know others that have wanted to buy stuff online who use someone else's CC details (with their permission of course), so Credit card info would not be used for identity in a domain name.

The best bet as far as domain info goes is to use your correct info (just to be on the safe side) :p

Fact is you can theoretically lose your domain if you provide false information. My guess is that would happen only if you can't be reached at all and some one gets PO'ed.

Anyway, http://gkg.net protects your eamail address and publish a forwarding address in the whois. Very nice of them. I've transferred my domains there for that reason. I use my name, a friends box address and a no longer working phone number. I think it's safe. I can be reached both through email and postal mail, just not by phone. I've used them for over 2 years and can recommend them. Cheap, fast, simple.

So do I have to put my street address in there, or would any mailing address I can be reached at be allowed?

Try providing the information of your webhost, thats what i have done, ask them first, see if they will let you :)

Originally posted by Canuckkev
So do I have to put my street address in there, or would any mailing address I can be reached at be allowed?
Any mailing address is fine... I use my P.O. Box only to find spam from Register.com there every week...

Originally posted by thewitt
When you sign up with anyone to register a domain, you agree to provide accurate contact information in your whois records. It's in every ICANN registrars Terms of Service by order of ICANN.
All services, free or paid, requires you to agree to provide complete and accurate and up-to-date information. But like anyone cares. (Okay, I know some of you do care...)

My whois info is partially fake. :p There is no way I'm going to provide real info to something that's viewable by anybody. Only for those pay sites that claims to keep your personal info private will I give real info.

I don't know if you've been following this LeX, but ICANN is starting to care about valid contact information. They have set up a new reporting mechanism and haved actually threatened Verisign with taking away their ability to register .com domains if they don't clean up their act immediately.

There will be a crackdown soon - you can count on it.

-t

May I ask what exactly the reason is? Is it a liability issue? If the domain is being used for illegal purposes? Or what? I see no reason for having to supply the world my home address and telephone number, if I am just running a personal site (which I am not, I am not running a site).

Back