• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

want to register my first domain but want privacy

I didn't make the rules. I could not tell you what the initial motivation was.

ICANN requires valid contact informatoin when you sign up for a domain name. It's required of the registrars by contract, and required of you by extension.

The site where you registered your domains should have bound you to this contract, however if they did not it doesn't really matter. The registrar would be in violation of their ICANN agreement - because they also agreed to bind you to these rules and regulations. The penalty for not complying with this one is the loss of your domain name.

If a formal complaint is filed at the registrar - you have 15 days to supply valid information or they are bound under ICANN contract to drop your domain name...

Earlier this year ICANN published a memo to all registrars warning that they would be taking this clause in the domain registration contract seriously. Now they have actually sent Verisign notice that they will pull Verisign's ability to sell .COM domains if they don't get their act together. Verisign is complying and has actually dropped a couple of names that contained false data already...

-t

Originally posted by thewitt
I don't know if you've been following this LeX, but ICANN is starting to care about valid contact information. They have set up a new reporting mechanism and haved actually threatened Verisign with taking away their ability to register .com domains if they don't clean up their act immediately.

There will be a crackdown soon - you can count on it.

-t
The info I provided looks as real as real can be. :p How are they going to verify your info anyway? Call you? Mail you? Fax you? Visit you? What do they gain from this?

Originally posted by LeX
The info I provided looks as real as real can be. :p How are they going to verify your info anyway? Call you? Mail you? Fax you? Visit you? What do they gain from this?
ICANN doesn't gain anything, but the way it works is like this.

Someone questions your contact info and files a formal complaint with ICANN or your Registrar.

Your registrar has 15 days to contact you using whatever information they have for your and get your data corrected.

If after 15 days pass, you cannot be contacted and your data is still incorrect, your domain is DELETED from the registry.

Tough rules, no doubt... It will be interesting to see how well they are enforced now that ICANN has put registrars on notice.

-t

I don't really have a problem with providing the information, but what I do have a problem with is some of the registrars...

If Register.com sending me snail mail trying to get me to transfer my domain to them wasn't enough, now they're even calling my house! How low will some registrars go??

Anyone else experience these things? Snail mail is one thing, but calling my house? What are they gonna do next, stop by and discuss it over a cup of coffee? :rolleyes:

I guess that's my only real complaint about providing the information...

I haven't had any problems like that Bruce. No snail mail from anyone in all that time I have had my domains. They probably wouldn't want to ring me long distance either ;)

And Toefur, yes :)

Interesting read thewitt,
I think ICANN should marten up their act, there are amazingly slow at doing anything. Personally I always give my personal info out to a paying sevice, always. I used to be a little suspicious making up crazy names like 13 Jupiter Ave, Neptune for example but that was when I was like 10. Not I don't care, I have never recieved any spam from anyone, but I guess there have gotta be some advantages to living in australia..

rant rant....

Back