• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

waking dreams - please review

Comments:
-Nice range of websets, but are a little hard to find. I recommend you to change the default plain layout into one of the websets. Maybe you could set an enter page that lets us choose which webset do we want first.
-Not much graphics, apart from the websets, I'm talking about the default layout.

Speed: 910/1000
Organised: 920/1000
Design: 750/1000
Graphics: 560/1000

Overall(Including Speed): 785/1000, 79/100, 8/10
Overall(Excluding Speed): 743/1000, 74/100, 7/10

Criticisims

Its very basic yet the colour scheme works quite well. I would change those hyperlinks into buttons using some sort of complicated graphics program. Your form on the front page doesn't check if everything is filled in. I don't really like any of the designs on your site. What did you use to make them? I think you should get rid of them links at the bottom as they take up too much space. Where it says copyright link it to a copyright page with more info. The site also needs to be more lively which means that pictures should be included in the design. Your guestbook is ok but that bravenet forum sucks. You could do with a better host depending on your needs. In this case you want a forum so you would possibly want a host that supports php and mysql. I also don't like the way you have some of them ugly grey borders on the tables. Change them to something different or take away the border. I don't like table borders which are bigger than 1 and they should be used only when neccessary. Your site content is not gramatically correct because sentences are starting with lower case letters. You have an e-mail link in your navigation. Someone who doesn't use an e-mail program won't be able to e-mail you. A lot of people still use browser e-mail.

Now with the criticism over with lets get onto the review section. I appolgise for my amount of criticisms but I am trying to help you so I picked out everything I could think of.

Score
Content - 50%
Your content needs to be expanded.
Technical - 40%
You've realised the key forms of technology in a site but you don't use them to their maximum capability. I don't like the bravenet forums but the guestbook is ok. Your e-mail form is not very good either. Getting a new host will help with this and I can assist you with this if needed.
Graphics - 40%
I don't like most of the designs on your site. Your site in general has a good colour scheme but the lack of graphics takes the score down.
Overall (not an average) - 35%
Your site needs a lot of improving. I think I've told you too much at once so if you need questions answering then just ask me.

Comments:
Your site is very basic, and has a below par color scheme. The ads are very annoying, and I suggest you get a logo. You should think about decided to go with a service, and trying to get your own forum. It takes a little practice but it is actually quite simple getting a forum up. But you do need a host that supports it. The websets are decent however. Also the table sizes as said don't look good when past one. You should also consider fixing up some spotty spelling errors, and captializing each start of every sentence. You should really consider changing the colors to something more optimum, and also putting in a mouse rollover for the text.

Overall: 40% (Also not an average)
Content: 40%
Overall Grammar/Spelling: 55% (Spelling is not that bad, but the grammar needs a lot of work)
Graphics: 15% (Low because your site lacks good graphics)
Design: 35%

Since your site just makes it at 40%, your design is not useless, but not good. You should consider revamping it completely adding more graphics, a link hover, and most of all get your own forum. You should also consider getting a new service that doesn't place annoying banner ads on each page.

http://glomar.net/gc/forum - That is an example of a PHP Forum that I have started a little while ago. Take a look at it, there are no ads.

I would give this site about 45%.

I think it looks ok but it is too plain and boring. The colors are nice but it just needs something too make it come alive. Some graphics would definitely help.

With some good graphics this site could easily hit 65%

thank you all for your comments... and by the way...
don't apologize if you criticize my site...that's why i posted it. so thanks especially for the criticisms, that is how i can decide how to make the site better. :cool2:
i'd like to respond to a couple comments -

i agree completely about the forum. i hate it. it's pathetic, and i want to learn how to set one up myself. so if you can help, i'd love it.

about the simplicity - i chose a very basic design because i don't like pages that take a year to load because of all their images. any comments on where on the page you think i should have a graphic/logo would help.

as for writing the page - all i know is html and a little javascript. i'm trying to work my way up with the scripting.
i have thought about using a mouseover on the nav links. what i want to do is have an underline below and above the link on mouseover. how should i do that? kind of like...
< head >
< style >
< !--
a.hover{text-decoration:underline overline}
-- >
< /style >
< /head > :confused:

about grammar: not capitalizing is on purpose because i enjoy how it looks on the page, and because it can allow me to emphasize certain words (ie - i wouldn't capitalize "i," but i would capitalize "God").
if you see any spelling or sentence structure mistakes, PLEASE point them out. they're a peeve of mine (in most cases), so i certainly don't want any on my website.

you've said the site needs something to make it come alive; do you simply mean graphics or was there something else you had in mind?

i could probably comment more, but this post is long enough already. :rolleyes:

thanks again for your comments, i'd appreciate any more.

Last edited:
Originally posted by byrdgirl13
thank you all for your comments... and by the way...
don't apologize if you criticize my site...that's why i posted it. so thanks especially for the criticisms, that is how i can decide how to make the site better. :cool2:
i'd like to respond to a couple comments -

i agree completely about the forum. i hate it. it's pathetic, and i want to learn how to set one up myself. so if you can help, i'd love it.

about the simplicity - i chose a very basic design because i don't like pages that take a year to load because of all their images. any comments on where on the page you think i should have a graphic/logo would help.

as for writing the page - all i know is html and a little javascript. i'm trying to work my way up with the scripting.
i have thought about using a mouseover on the nav links. what i want to do is have an underline below and above the link on mouseover. how should i do that? kind of like...
< head >
< style >
< !--
a.hover{text-decoration:_____}
-- >
< /style >
< /head > :confused:
i wouldn't know what to put beside text-decoration.

about grammar: not capitalizing is on purpose because i enjoy how it looks on the page, and because it can allow me to emphasize certain words (ie - i wouldn't capitalize "i," but i would capitalize "God").
if you see any spelling or sentence structure mistakes, PLEASE point them out. they're a peeve of mine (in most cases), so i certainly don't want any on my website.

you've said the site needs something to make it come alive; do you simply mean graphics or was there something else you had in mind?

i could probably comment more, but this post is long enough already. :rolleyes:

thanks again for your comments, i'd appreciate any more.

OK, I'll help you out a bit...

The forum - I suggest using a forum such as http://www.openbb.net. Of course, you will need a host with MySQL and PHP support to set it up but it is the only way. If you can't install a forum, the next best thing would be something like http://www.ezboard.com

I personally like simple designs, but I think the there should be some sort of graphic logo at the top of the page and some graphics instead of headers/titles. Get my drift?

For the underline, just make it like so:
< head >
< style >
< !--
a.hover{text-decoration: underline}
-- >
< /style >
< /head >
Simple as that ;)

I can't say anything about grammar errors, I'm not the best at that sort of thing :D

And when I said "come alive" I meant more graphics, and maybe some extra colors are something. Not too flashy, but something that spices it up.

Hope that helped :)

thank you, as for the underline on mouseover, my concern is how to set it so it has both an underline and an "overline" ...i looked at proboards.com and edited my last post for how their links are set to do this.
i will probably use a remotely hosted forum...i don't want to get in a mess trying to find a host. ezboard looks pretty customizable; i just saw two of their members' forums, and they were very different designs...i may try them. better than bravenet in any case! :D

any ideas on where i should use different colors? i just don't know where i would want to change the colors; i am trying to stick with a 'soft' look for now, though.

I disagree with all of you. What's so basic and what's bad about basic?

The purpose is to give out those graphics right? The page is fast, looks nice and the navigation is clear. So what does it need? Visible table borders, a blue top bar, heavy graphics on he information pages, 15 affiliation links and a pop-up with Gator trying to download? Or maybe phpNuke? And WTF is wrong with the form? :confused:

I have 1 thing to comment on. The visited link color makes the links hard to read. ;)

<*** Insert meaningless rating points here *** >

Originally posted by meow
I disagree with all of you. What's so basic and what's bad about basic?

The purpose is to give out those graphics right? The page is fast, looks nice and the navigation is clear. So what does it need? Visible table borders, a blue top bar, heavy graphics on he information pages, 15 affiliation links and a pop-up with Gator trying to download? Or maybe phpNuke?

That is not what I said... you are screwing what I said as usual.

Since when does "all of you" mean Giancarlo? You are right, you didn't say that. I did.

what does the visited link color show up as then? i have it set to be the same as the unvisited links...is that what you mean?

about the forum...i simply don't like the layout of it, and i can't customize it very much - that also bothers me. but maybe i'm just biased against bravenet. :biggrin2:

EDIT: and i do agree that the point/percentage "ratings" are meaningless...i posted my site for specifics on how i can improve it, not what grade you give me on my site. i get enough of percentages in school. ;)

Last edited:
Especially when the points are grounded on - nothing.

Sorry, byrdgirl13. It isn't your link color, it's mine. I had a style sheet set in my browser to make the visited links on this forum grey and forgot to unload it. Your links are fine. :eek:

It's a nice site. I can see from your websets that you can make graphics. Why not put some on your main page? Also, I see no point of having the menu on each page twice. Other than that, it looks good.

Oops, I spoke too soon. I just saw the forum... if you have to use Bravenet, at least make the font and color scheme match your site. ;)

Last edited:
Originally posted by byrdgirl13
i don't know the difference. what is openbb?
Just don't use openbb. Answering your question however is simple. Openbb is a forum which uses php as its programming base just like bravenet forums and phpbb. Phpbb is better because its got more features and if they are not included then you can install a hack. phpbb is easier to install and in general its quite good. You can customize the templates if you know html to make it look like the rest of your site. On the other hand openbb has good support if you go to their forums.

Back