• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Very disappointed in my host.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Vegeta
Ok i see, do they have a PHP version of Ikonboard though or if I use the php version of yabb will i be able to use those hacks on it (yabb).

Yabb is a shocker. We have now banned it from our service. With one user active on a forum it was using 20% of the servers resources. As for the hacks I guess it would be fine, but as someone suggested is:

Burning Board - http://www.woltlab.de/
OpenBB: http://www.iansoft.com (exactly like vbulletin)

Regards
Rob

Originally posted by Myacen Network
OpenBB: http://www.iansoft.com (exactly like vbulletin)
Rob, just a question. Have you run a vBulletin forum? I'd like to know how the guts and backend function compared to vBulletin. People talk a lot about this or that board, but I can't figure out who has actually used ones they compare/recommend.

Originally posted by Chicken

Rob, just a question. Have you run a vBulletin forum? I'd like to know how the guts and backend function compared to vBulletin. People talk a lot about this or that board, but I can't figure out who has actually used ones they compare/recommend.

We are actually using vbulletin.

http://www.myacen.com/forums/

Iansoft was getting sued by vbulletin because they copied all the code from vbulletin. But apparently it was rewritten. Look at the gui looks practically the same.

As I have said before though, the appearance can be compared to vBulletin, but the admin panels of all the free forums are lacking many, many things. The users of the forums probably wouldn't notice much of a difference, but the people who administrate and moderate the forms can surely see a difference between vBulletin's admin options and those of the free forums.

Gotta say that there's very little competition to vbulletin. It's quite fast and kind on the server. Pages seem to double load, but it happens so fast you hardly notice it.

Those flat-file boards are just bad news unless you a dedicated server for that kind of thing. Still get plenty of requests to host UBB, YaBB, iK so I'm thinking about setting up a crazy fast box just for these guys.

Originally posted by vorapoap
I am quite sure that you are so happy with PHPBB2 now :) Phrozen.
It works for now. I'm planning on getting vBulletin sometime in the future though.

So vbulletin normally comes in PHP. Anyways IF PHP is better why dont all these BB companies release their code in php first and then cgi if they want.

I still dont understand how paid hosts can blab and brag about server resources and minimal stuff like that ( I mean my forum has about 10 members and the max ill get is probably 30). Im pretty sure this wont slow down their servers even down to 10%.

Netfirms is a free host correct . Now their resources should be a lot more clogged then a paid host. Now the question is how can netfirms never bother me or anyone about this forum cgi-based flat forums. The logic is that the more CASH that a host gets in their hand the more speedy servers and stable servers they should offer.

Can anyone answer this ?

Probably you never saw how those Flat database Forum affect a server's performance.

So vbulletin normally comes in PHP. Anyways IF PHP is better why dont all these BB companies release their code in php first and then cgi if they want.

It's been a while since I last visited infopops UBB forums, but I believe that they have already released a PHP version of UBB.

Does anyone know how much effect a UBB (CGI) with an average of 3 active users on the forums can have on server resources? Just a rough estimate...

Last edited:
Ok i want to set up vbulletin board up when i sign up for myacen but i want to know if the pakage ($50 a year one) comes with mysql and everything i need for the board to work properly.

You can definately run vbulletin at Myacen. Your better off browsing their hosting page to see if there's a plan that covers enough bandwidth limits for the price you want to pay.

Ok for the $50 a year since i want my site and the forum on it i will be given 10gb of bandwith <--this is per month right--> I dont think this 10gb will be for that year right. Also there is no setup fee on this right.

psycho what do u mean exactly by they will jack up my prices. The hosting i signed up with at myacen.com Business Package of 250 mbs and 15gb. I DONT EVER THINK i ever surpassed 500 mbs of bandwith in my old site. What do u mean by "they will jack up my prices"<- i could understand they could do that only if i go over my bandwith which is 15gb/month.

If i use myacen will they allow me to have links to emulators and roms [dbz] as part of my site. *Note these files will not be stored on their server. Can they be stored on their server.

If i use myacen will they allow me to have links to emulators and roms [dbz] as part of my site. *Note these files will not be stored on their server. Can they be stored on their server.

We won't increase prices. We do not allow roms on our servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back