• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Very disappointed in my host.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegeta

Im new to Paid Hosting and Ill be glad to admit that my first Choice was A MISTAKE. The host I used is Techexcell which could be found at www.techexcell.com

Once i logged into the account I was automatically told that I could have no cgi-based flat file forums -->which meant to me Ultimate Bulletin Board. Fine i decided to go with a PHP based forum. Somehow the board was not able to properly set itself up with MYSQL which i properly activated. They also supposedly have a sendmail box which sends the email which Cgi programs send. These emails were never sent. ON top of that I uploaded a couple of images that were to them copyrighted (dbz pictures, anime pictures) the next day i got an email from them telling me i was banned. All these things deeply got me disappointed. I mean when i finally beleive that Paid HOsting (i know $20 a year isnt much but its still paid hosting isnt it) is going to be better somehow the free hosting tends to be better. Just look at netfirms: I have my Ubb forum with them and has been with them for a very long time and never have they banned me for this. Also i have anime pictures with them and they were never deleted and I can rest assured that they will be there tommorrow.

Is there a host that will meet my requirements. I need at least 200 mbs of space, will allow me to have my CGI forum UP and my ANIME pictures up. Has a cgi-bin (of course) and at least 1gb transfer, and correctly works and is stable. FOR A CHEAP PRICE..

Is that right i was going to host my yabb board at Aletiahosting but if they dont allow cgi then my yabb wont work is this true ??????

Found the answer myself look here all

Forum Software: Only one instance of an online forum should be run from a single hosting account (even those with multi-hosted domains enabled). Forum software supported and recommended include vBulletin and phpBB (mySQL version). Forum software using flat-file databases (e.g. UltimateBB, YaBB, IkonBoard flat-file version) are strongly discouraged and may result in the suspension of the affected account.

Need a site that is well fast and good that lets me put up a yabb board

any help please

Ikonboard and Yabb

Both ikonboard and yabb offer hosting that I believe will allow cgi-based forums to be put into them. Im not exactly sure if this is correct. The reason i haven gotten them as a host is because i really need cheap hosting and at the same time i want the features i previously asked.

I still dont understand how paid hosts can blab and brag about server resources and minimal stuff like that ( I mean my forum has about 10 members and the max ill get is probably 30). Im pretty sure this wont slow down their servers even down to 10%.

Netfirms is a free host correct . Now their resources should be a lot more clogged then a paid host. Now the question is how can netfirms never bother me or anyone about this forum cgi-based flat forums. The logic is that the more CASH that a host gets in their hand the more speedy servers and stable servers they should offer.

Can anyone answer this ?

So these hosts you listed:

Youre saying I will be satisfied with them, I mean i really dont ask much just a place for my site, my pics, and my cgi-forum..thats all I ask for.

I think myacen.com is the best for you, it's from 24.95 to 399.95 a year, and it is worth it for the 400 a year..I personally would like the 79.95 plan. They give you a lot of transfer, and plenty of space, I have 980 DBZ pics in my folder, and it's only 79 megs..

CGI is old, and outdated, try a PHP forum, I'll be happy to set it up for you, it's quite simple, www.woltlab.de it is far better than any other free forum. But, I don't recommend running CGI too much, but hosts do allow it, I just don't like CGI as much as I do PHP, it's stable, and quite fast, I know it is a one sided opinion, besides, more and more hosts are offering a MySQL DB, and PHP scripting, to think about it, all are :), CGI does have its great spots, like the Ikonboard, which is the best board I have ever seen (at 100% potential)

the only reason why i want a cgi forum is because to me all the ones that i want exist mainly in cgi and if they do have a php version its not the latest version of it as compared to CGI. just look at yabb board. I really need either yabb board or ikonboard.

YABB is banned by a few hosts, since it sucks up resources easily, and bandwith, and PHP boards don't need the latest version, since PHP is not as buggy as CGI/PERL..

No, it's because the PHP boards are less buggy than the Perl ones, not that Perl itself is buggy.

Ok i see, do they have a PHP version of Ikonboard though or if I use the php version of yabb will i be able to use those hacks on it (yabb).

you should check yabb.info for the hacks for yabb se.

It seems aletiahoting allows iB if you choose to use mysql db.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back