• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Tips on improving the speed of a computer

GeorgeB

Chairman/CEO TMCG
NLC
Well the title says it all. I am looking for any tips on how to improve my computers speed. It loads really slow and some programs take forever to open up when I click on them.

I use ccleaner.com most times, I have Windows Defender installed, and Symantec Anti Virus as well.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Throw it out of the window, urinate on it and run over it 15 times.

Then you buy a new one, problem solved :)

How long have you had your computer? Is it old?

To start, defragment, then scan your C: drive. Scan for viruses and adware/spyware (I use adaware)

Uninstall any programs you don't use, and stop unnecessary programs from starting up automatically when windows boots. The combination of all these things should help.

Stan, it was funny the first time. If you have nothing to contribute, don't post

I am using Windows XP and I eliminated some of the effects it used. It helped a little, but also making sure a lot of things are not running hidden in the background can help.

Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and look at how many processes are running. Is there anything in there you don't need?

George, the best way is simply to back up everything you need and do a reformat. Your computer will be as good as new! Make sure to run spyware/virus checks on your backups before bringing them across!

I might have a solution, but in case that don't work, I will most likely do as you mentioned JohnN. When you say "back up everything" you mean put the programs and files onto black cds right? That is what I take it as.

I might have a solution, but in case that don't work, I will most likely do as you mentioned JohnN. When you say "back up everything" you mean put the programs and files onto black cds right? That is what I take it as.

To backup I'd only put the documents, photos, videos etc onto blank CDs (or even better, a spare hard drive if you have one). Programs have to be installed properly; simply copying the /program files/ dirctory won't work for most programs. So you gotta re-download those installation files.

Yeah just backup the stuff you need, as Colin pointed out. Then do the duty.
At that you may as well just Reformat the PC and have it like new.

yeh pretty much. I'd suggest getting a dvd if your drive supports them, you can get a few gigs worth of stuff on it.

if you have an ipod (Excluding the touch) you can put it into disk mode, which will let you use it as a standard USB stick and put your stuff on there.

Hello GeorgeB,

I actually disagree with the last couple of posts saying to format, formating too much is a bad way. Everyone says after having a problem format you will lose nothing, well when you start formating. The hard disk will start to get ruined.

Well I have these suggestions:
Clean up your desktop icons, remove everything, do not leave the my documents my computer folders too. They affect on the speed.
The programs that you can see open on the right bottom side where it has MSN on it and stuff, exit all things you do not use from them. It will also improve the performance.

Other things have been said before.

I hope I was helpful.

Best Regards,

Everything that was stated before is a good start, i'd also see if you can invest in more memory2-3gb is good for alota of processes

Do what everyone else suggested and then I would also upgrade your RAM. How much do you currently have?

One of the most inexpensive ways to revitalize an older machine is drop more RAM in it.

I would uninstall Symantec's anti-virus software. Though it is decent at what it does, it slows down a computer terribly.

Back