• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Thinking About Starting= Personal Server

robert i am unfillmiar with a dual installl of redhat + windows.

also i do have "sattile(sp?)" but i can;t get DSL or cable and that stuff because they say "Sorry service is not avabile in areA" i say they are stupid

Originally posted by Alex
robert i am unfillmiar with a dual installl of redhat + windows.

also i do have "sattile(sp?)" but i can;t get DSL or cable and that stuff because they say "Sorry service is not avabile in areA" i say they are stupid

A dual bootup is when you start your computer, it will ask you what OS (Operating System) you would like to boot up. Then you would select either Redhat 7 or Windows and it will load it.

I guess Satellite connection could do. But I would recommend to get cable as soon as possible.

Originally posted by robert
But I would recommend to get cable as soon as possible.

DSL would prolly be better because cable tends to be shared i.e.- more than one person per line. DSL has a dedicated line as far as I know. Oh well, neither are suitable for a host anyway. T3's are the way to go.

Originally posted by Nick
Originally posted by robert
But I would recommend to get cable as soon as possible.

DSL would prolly be better because cable tends to be shared i.e.- more than one person per line. DSL has a dedicated line as far as I know. Oh well, neither are suitable for a host anyway. T3's are the way to go.

If you want speed, then you want cable. Cable is wayyy faster then DSL. But yes, DSL has it's own dedicated line, unlike cable where you share it with everyone in your neighborhood. and yes T3's are the way the to go, but why waste the money if you want to host 1 small site?

If I was going to host my own web site, I would go with cable (faster upload/download speeds). but if I was just oging to use it for surfing the net, I would go with DSL.

A satellite connection only uploads at modem speeds. The max upload modem speed is 33.6kpbs, which is definately not enough speed for you to host your site on. Therefore, you cannot host your site on such a slow connection. Also, Windows Me is easily exploitable, I can crash your server and Windows in about... 10 seconds.

Well, server0026 does NOT run windows me. The site server0026.freedom2surf.net runs Apache/1.3.14 (Unix) on Linux.

Lies, Lies, Lies.

DSL sux!!! It has bad upload rates. I would use cable...
or you could get a $199/month connection frm tera-byte.com
that's what I did.

Back