• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Thinking About Starting= Personal Server

Alex

Hey guys,
i was wondering if these specs would be enough to host one web site, my ZoNe.
Specs:
Dual AMD ThunderBird 1.2GIG MHz
546RAM
7.2gig hard drive
WindowsME -- main thing i am worried about
Sattilte Connectin -- 2nd thing worried about..

If the answer isn't obvious to you, then you shouldn't be hosting in the first place.

[Edited by Chicken on 12-28-2000 at 02:09 PM]

man, stick with a free host, or have ur daddy buy u a dedicated server cuz ur just get hacked and shietz

I have never heard of a WinMe server

(something tells me ur just trying to be coo)

server 26 on f2s.com runs WindowsME its a beta server running a Windows Version of php/mysql/

Originally posted by Alex
server 26 on f2s.com runs WindowsME its a beta server running a Windows Version of php/mysql/

Just wondering, but where do you see that?

lol.. dont you see the note when you sign up?
it says "Our Webservers Are Exprermintal(sp?), So If you dont mind lots of downtime and slowness sign up"

you also said ex-fthosting ppl get a account on your server, i had a fthosting account till they disappered.

Oh boy when will you give up - As i told you via yahoo you didnt.

People who did have domains or sub accounts who have contacted me have had accounts made. If they wanna step forward thats up to them but you didnt have an account with FTHosting.

Originally posted by Alex
Hey guys,
i was wondering if these specs would be enough to host one web site, my ZoNe.
Specs:
Dual AMD ThunderBird 1.2GIG MHz

AMD has not released their 760MP motherboard chipset yet, which supports multiple CPUs That means you cannot have a Dual Athlon setup at the moment.

AMD recently released there 760MP PR1 motherboard chipset about 2 days ago. its only a pre release so yes it is possbile..

Alex...

Here is what I would do if I was you..

1) Create a dual boot up with Windows Me and Redhat 7. (you dont really need Windows Me, but I would keep it just incase you decide not to continue hosting your own site)

2) Get rid of the Satellite connection. (If that is what you meant.. you typed Sattilte). If you can afford Satellite, you can afford Cable/DSL. I would get a cable connection from roadrunner or something of that sort. (Make sure the company you go with allows you to run a server).

3) Install Perl, MySQL, PHP and whatever else I need on the system and install a firewall with a port scanner.

And boom I have a good 1 site server.

That's what I would do.. you're not me and I'm not you.. but I hope I gave you some ideas.

[Edited by robert on 12-28-2000 at 07:05 PM]

Back