• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

There is NO such thing as Unlimmited/Unmettered

[UW]Glenn;1055251 said:
If there is no possibility for Unmetered or Unlimited Space or Transfer, then there is NO such thing as unlimited features such as FTP, MySQL and so on.

I'm not sticking up for these companies that offer Unlimited Space and Transfer, but If there is no such thing as unmetered transfer, there is no such thing as unlimited FTP accounts, or MySQL Databases. These take up a tiny amount of hard drive space, but never the less, they still do take up some hard drive space.

These are virtual items and are in actuality capable of being unlimited. FTP is nothing but a speciality of file permissions, with a software already loaded on the system to track the credentials. While it's true they are unlimited, even with a 50MB account you would long run into software limitations of incrementing accounts before you filled it with blocks. So in terms people can understand, yes they are completely unlimited as you are allowed to create even 100,000 accounts if you wanted to on your server. (going by that their TOS has no rule against them that is, which would then fall under the same TOS discrimination as claiming free space and transfer.)

These are virtual items and are in actuality capable of being unlimited. FTP is nothing but a speciality of file permissions, with a software already loaded on the system to track the credentials. While it's true they are unlimited, even with a 50MB account you would long run into software limitations of incrementing accounts before you filled it with blocks. So in terms people can understand, yes they are completely unlimited as you are allowed to create even 100,000 accounts if you wanted to on your server. (going by that their TOS has no rule against them that is, which would then fall under the same TOS discrimination as claiming free space and transfer.)

Ah but an FTP account entry is roughly 1.5 - 2KB of space. So there is NO such thing as unlimited features either.

[UW]Glenn;1055258 said:
Ah but an FTP account entry is roughly 1.5 - 2KB of space. So there is NO such thing as unlimited features either.

Ok so a 50MB account could say that you can have up to 25,600 FTP accounts, of course MySQL and other "accounts" would take up this space.

I think it's pretty clear that it means you can create unlimited accounts within your space constraints. You're making everything too technical. Space and transfer are your boundaries, you are free to do whatever you want in the constraints of your boundaries is what unlimited features means.

Ok so a 50MB account could say that you can have up to 25,600 FTP accounts, of course MySQL and other "accounts" would take up this space.
I suppose that should be named and spotlighted on the offers page if you are talking about shared host

I think it's pretty clear that it means you can create unlimited accounts within your space constraints. You're making everything too technical. Space and transfer are your boundaries, you are free to do whatever you want in the constraints of your boundaries is what unlimited features means.

That is the exact same for Unmetered Transfer. Your only restraint is your hardware.

I suppose that should be named and spotlighted on the offers page if you are talking about shared host

Truly pointed out. Thank You.

The purpose of this topic was to state that unlimited and unmetered do not exist.

Unlimited does not exist and is Impossible to obtain unless there was a hard drive and bandwidth as large as the universe (forgive the hidden pun, the universe has no size as it constantly grows hence, infinity or unlimited space)

However Unmetered refers to no restrictions but limitations based on hardware or allocation. For instance, being allocated 1Mbps bandwidth on shared hosting using mod_bandwidth would give you a physical limit of XXX but no restrictions on how much of the 1Mbps you use, and for how long, hence the term Unmetered (It makes no difference if you flaw a 1Mbps connection 100% of the time [which is impossible ;)] in the grand scheme of your hardware limitations.
Unmetered disk space is not obtainable as hard disk drives are measured by how much they can store.

I understand I am making this technical, because I have proven a point that unmetered transfer is obtainable and feasible whereas unlimited space is not. Your argument is that you can have unlimited features, no you cant. You can have as many as the server can handle. So if you want to call no allocatable limit on features unlimited, then you must accept that unmetered transfer is obtainable.

[UW]Glenn;1055304 said:
That is the exact same for Unmetered Transfer. Your only restraint is your hardware.

Truly pointed out. Thank You.

The purpose of this topic was to state that unlimited and unmetered do not exist.

Unlimited does not exist and is Impossible to obtain unless there was a hard drive and bandwidth as large as the universe (forgive the hidden pun, the universe has no size as it constantly grows hence, infinity or unlimited space)

However Unmetered refers to no restrictions but limitations based on hardware or allocation. For instance, being allocated 1Mbps bandwidth on shared hosting using mod_bandwidth would give you a physical limit of XXX but no restrictions on how much of the 1Mbps you use, and for how long, hence the term Unmetered (It makes no difference if you flaw a 1Mbps connection 100% of the time [which is impossible ;)] in the grand scheme of your hardware limitations.
Unmetered disk space is not obtainable as hard disk drives are measured by how much they can store.

I understand I am making this technical, because I have proven a point that unmetered transfer is obtainable and feasible whereas unlimited space is not. Your argument is that you can have unlimited features, no you cant. You can have as many as the server can handle. So if you want to call no allocatable limit on features unlimited, then you must accept that unmetered transfer is obtainable.

I've always said that unmetered transfer was possible, just not unlimited. I guess a correct term (though hard to get used to) would be unmetered features on the accounts, meaning you can create as many as your physical constraints allow.

I still say you're being too technical. You're dumbing things down when people should be smart enough to know what this stuff means if their even THINKING of creating a website. I've long advocated that everyone should have to take a basic computer course that teaches more than turning it on and off, but teaches antivirus/antimalware, cleaning, damage smoking does around computers, getting cd's out of stuck cd drives with bobby pins, and all these other nit pick things that people with a computer should know before you're even allowed to own one. The same should go for websites. You need a course that teaches you the ins and outs, the DMCA, overselling loopholes, ect ect ect.

I still say you're being too technical. You're dumbing things down when people should be smart enough to know what this stuff means if their even THINKING of creating a website. I've long advocated that everyone should have to take a basic computer course that teaches more than turning it on and off, but teaches antivirus/antimalware, cleaning, damage smoking does around computers, getting cd's out of stuck cd drives with bobby pins, and all these other nit pick things that people with a computer should know before you're even allowed to own one. The same should go for websites. You need a course that teaches you the ins and outs, the DMCA, overselling loopholes, ect ect ect.

I agree, but then why is 99% of the Web hosting Industry listing Bandwidth as a unit of quota as apposed to a measurement of speed? Anyone who has taken a basic computer course knows the difference between the speed at which data can be transferred, and the data transfer quota. This is the reason why I am, as you so accurately described, "Dumbing it down" or taking it back to it's fundamental basics, because my point is, Transfer is the Data Transfer Quota, and Bandwidth is how much data can be transferred per second. My other point was to prove that Unmetered is an obtainable term where as Unlimited is not. (Which you agree with) And the only way to prove that is to take it back to it's most basic form and explain it, bit by bit, like a computer course leader does, so that anyone can understand it.

Well said my friend!

Look at it this way: when is the last time you went into Best Buy to pick up a hard drive with unlimited disk space?

Never! So how can you believe a host can offer unlimited disk space? Eventually they are going to run out, especially if they are cramming 200 clients on a server.

Just a small question i totally agree that Unlimited is not real, but how come all those companies have it and they are still alive or in business. My friend is with hostgator, and he have used around 120 GB worth of space so far, and they didn't suspend him.

There are some hosts that are big and can provide unlimited/unmetered hosting. I know of two in particular of which I use one of them.

Yahoo hosting and Hostgator.com

There are some hosts that are big and can provide unlimited/unmetered hosting. I know of two in particular of which I use one of them.

Yahoo hosting and Hostgator.com

They might have a good reputation, but still I wouldn't touch them. Can you tell me how they can offer unlimited web hosting, seeing as there's no unlimited hard drive nor a network port that will never run out of bandwidth?

[FONT=&quot]"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"[/FONT]
(Albert Einstein)

They might have a good reputation, but still I wouldn't touch them. Can you tell me how they can offer unlimited web hosting, seeing as there's no unlimited hard drive nor a network port that will never run out of bandwidth?

The same concept as to how Yahoo can offer unlimited email storage. You just keep buying more and more servers.

There was a guy on here who pretty much explained it very good, but not sure who he was.

Nothing is ever impossible once you put your mind to it.

You could deploy clusters and SAN for the data but all in all, the companies that provide unlimited data rely on the fact that some use a lot and some use little. If everyone starts using a lot, you will hit limits and even if you deploy more servers, more clusters, more SANs, there are some limits, mainly networking, that cannot be overcome with today's technology

Unlimited is not part of this world (unfortunately) you can make it look like it's unlimited but reality is that it isn't and I cannot be.

Back