• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

There is NO such thing as Unlimmited/Unmettered

.Andy

NLC
NLC
** I thought this article would be of general use to people who are requesting hosting for the first time **
If you prefer audio or to see the pretty images included in the origional article Please Click here
HastyHost said:
Over the years, the web hosting industry has taken several changes. One of these changes includes the introduction of unlimited space and/or bandwidth. These changes are a way for hosting companies to deceive it's customers, as a way to bring in more income. The sad truth is, you do not always get what you pay for, but these companies hope that you are unaware of this type of trickery.

So what exactly are the dangers of overselling Unlimited Space & Bandwidth?

"Overselling is a term used in the web hosting industry to describe a situation in which a company provides hosting plans that are unsustainable if every one of its customers uses the full extent of services advertised. The term is usually referred to the web space and bandwidth transfer allowance (source)."

That basically means, a web hosting company will sell you a service that it really cannot offer. This can be called false advertising, however, not one person has been able to prove a web hosting wrong because of three main factors:

The first reason why no one has successfully revealed a web host wrong that offers unlimited disk space is because the web host will suspend that individuals account as soon as it appears to be using more than the allocated space (usually 1GB) that web host may have set that you as a customer do not know about.

Secondly, all web host that provide unlimited space and bandwidth will have in their terms of service many restrictions that most customers simply bypass without paying any attention to. These restrictions usually include all types of websites that use up a large amount of space such as the following:

Backup websites
Warez or Illegal Content websites
Streaming videos or music
Downloading software, movies, music etc websites
Sites that offer free resources to the public
and the elongated list goes on...

Lastly, when it comes unlimited bandwidth you have to be careful about that as well. "Bandwidth refers to the amount of data that website visitors can download from a website (source)." Most unlimited bandwidth provides will claim they have unmetered bandwidth which can be true, but, the tricky part is, if your website consumes too many CPU resources your account will be suspended. Most host give your individual web hosting account a 10% CPU resource limit, but if you go over that limit your account will be suspended. Most customers have no idea how to prevent this from happening, and lack the knowledge of rather or not their type of website is suitable for such an shared environment.

As you know, you are sharing the server you are placed on with other individuals just like you. If one person uses too many CPU resources or creates a high server load at any given time, that effects your website as well, which causes downtime or slow response time to your website. Many web host that provide unlimited bandwidth will eventually face this horrible factor.
Andy Anderson, an individual currently involved in the web hosting market had this to say about overselling disk space and bandwidth:

"How much room do you actually need for a site? Looking through my server logs most people use 500MB (megabytes) of disk space and about 5GB (gigabytes) of bandwidth. That is plenty of room for the average person with only 1GB of disk space. But most people will not ever look at how much space they are using. They only look at storage space when they are looking for a host. The hosting market these days are very competitive. Web Hosts bank on your lack of knowledge and promise you TB (terabytes) of space and bandwidth. If you look at burst.net they have a terabyte hard drive for $400.00 a month per host. So think for a minute, how can a host offer you a $1.95 month web hosting plan for a terabyte of space? Mathematically they cannot possibly do it, and yet, they know about it and lie to your face that they can. They also hide behind their TOS (terms of service) saying you must have active sites ect. Do you think Google.com would pay for 1,000’s of servers if they could host at DreamHost, who oversells web space, for $7.95?"

The bottom line is, if you are serious about the future of your website, it is best to do your own research and actually pay for what you receive. If the offer looks too good to be true, more than likely it is.

Copyright : Robert Smith (CEO of HastyHost)
<mod note> I have permission to reproduce this article as I myself has contributed to this article.Copyright Robert Smith (CEO of HastyHost)

This is a decent article and I think it makes a great point. However people will still goto those places because they do not know any better.

Oh well maybe someday they will all learn.

Thanks I'm glad you enjoy mods feel free to sticky on the webhosting offers/requests forum. I feel the current post needs more explanation personally.

Thank you for posting. You are right - this is something so many people can benefit from. You have done a great service to the community here. +rep to you. :)

One hand - there are lots of people which do aware of that, but newbies come everyday and do not start theyr search with reading

Dreamhost begs to differ... they are offering unlimited + 50GB. I agree you can't offer unlimited disk space, but you can offer unlimited bandwidth.

but you can offer unlimited bandwidth.

Shouldn't it be cannot? ;) I mean, every single company who offers "Unlimited Bandwidth!", has limits, like 100Mbps line's are 33,000gb etc etc etc

So unfortunitely it's not unlimited, always a cap on them.

I guess now is the time I stick out my neck and get it chopped off for my response.

In a technical term, unlimited is impossible however unmetered is possible to the limitation on the server connection, for example, 1MBPS dedicated line would give you 324GB of monthly transfer with the connection flawed 100% of the time.

So technically, there is no transfer limit set, but the limit lies with the hardware, thus Unmetered is allocatable. Listing Unmetered for shared hosting is impossible due to the fact that shared hosting cannot have dedicated hardware and thus cannot have a dedicated up/down link connection. VPS and Dedicated Servers can

Unmetered is obtainable as there is as the name suggests, a lack of limits to the allocation of the transfer. Unlimited or Unmetered Bandwidth is IMPOSSIBLE as bandwidth is not a measurement of allocation but a measurement of speed that data travels through a theoritical "band" in relation to Broad Band and Narrow Band, a given name to the speed of which data at a top connection can travel at.
56k or 56 Kilobits per second is a Narrow Band connection and uses a grand total of 56 Kilobits per second of a 56 Kilobit per second band on a narrow band connection.

Which begs the question, is unmetered narrow band obtainable, the answer is simply YES, I'm sure most of us here have a broad band connection of over 20GB per month downloads, dial up or 56k's unmetered downloads is only 18GB per month top theoretical.

None of these calculations take into account of priority usage, traffic in use by other services or the "band".

Hope you all enjoyed my long message, for those of you still reading, you've done a wonderful job at paying attention, for those of you who skimmed and want me to get to the point, no worries.

The point of this post is to prove that Unlimited transfer does not exist, but unmetered is 100% legit and is obtainable.
The second point of this post is to PROVE to those of you still using bandwidth as a measurement of how much data transfer per month should reword what you use bandwidth for before you rub shoulders with someone who actually knows just what bandwidth IS.

For reference purposes, don't hate me for responding, I have just written an essay with exact figures and calculations on how much transfer someone can actually use on a monthly basis with a dedicated connection.

Please also note that in technicality terms, bandwidth limits can be set using mod_bandwidth where you can make Unmetered 1Mbps shared hosting plans.

Hope you enjoyed my post, I'm sure that someone here will not like it and complain, and others will call me a complete nuff nuff who doesn't know what I am talking about, I would be more then happy to share my calculations with you guys here.

8Bits to a Byte
1024 Bytes to a KiloByte
1024 Kilobytes to a MegaByte
1024 Kilobits to a Megabit (0.12MB per second)
All calculations here are based on 365.25 days in a year 30.4375 days in a month and 86400 seconds in a day.
References; My own knowledge, wikipedia and http://web.forret.com/tools/bandwidth.asp

~Peace

This days most of the hosts are really turning to the word "unmetered" rather than using the words " unlimited" since it has logical meaning, they dont ask you for overage charges but technically you cannot exceed a limit, for a 10 Mbps you can use upto 3 TB per month.

[UW]Glenn;1053394 said:
I guess now is the time I stick out my neck and get it chopped off for my response.

In a technical term, unlimited is impossible however unmetered is possible to the limitation on the server connection, for example, 1MBPS dedicated line would give you 324GB of monthly transfer with the connection flawed 100% of the time.

So technically, there is no transfer limit set, but the limit lies with the hardware, thus Unmetered is allocatable. Listing Unmetered for shared hosting is impossible due to the fact that shared hosting cannot have dedicated hardware and thus cannot have a dedicated up/down link connection. VPS and Dedicated Servers can

Unmetered is obtainable as there is as the name suggests, a lack of limits to the allocation of the transfer. Unlimited or Unmetered Bandwidth is IMPOSSIBLE as bandwidth is not a measurement of allocation but a measurement of speed that data travels through a theoritical "band" in relation to Broad Band and Narrow Band, a given name to the speed of which data at a top connection can travel at.
56k or 56 Kilobits per second is a Narrow Band connection and uses a grand total of 56 Kilobits per second of a 56 Kilobit per second band on a narrow band connection.

Which begs the question, is unmetered narrow band obtainable, the answer is simply YES, I'm sure most of us here have a broad band connection of over 20GB per month downloads, dial up or 56k's unmetered downloads is only 18GB per month top theoretical.

None of these calculations take into account of priority usage, traffic in use by other services or the "band".

Hope you all enjoyed my long message, for those of you still reading, you've done a wonderful job at paying attention, for those of you who skimmed and want me to get to the point, no worries.

The point of this post is to prove that Unlimited transfer does not exist, but unmetered is 100% legit and is obtainable.
The second point of this post is to PROVE to those of you still using bandwidth as a measurement of how much data transfer per month should reword what you use bandwidth for before you rub shoulders with someone who actually knows just what bandwidth IS.

For reference purposes, don't hate me for responding, I have just written an essay with exact figures and calculations on how much transfer someone can actually use on a monthly basis with a dedicated connection.

Please also note that in technicality terms, bandwidth limits can be set using mod_bandwidth where you can make Unmetered 1Mbps shared hosting plans.

Hope you enjoyed my post, I'm sure that someone here will not like it and complain, and others will call me a complete nuff nuff who doesn't know what I am talking about, I would be more then happy to share my calculations with you guys here.

8Bits to a Byte
1024 Bytes to a KiloByte
1024 Kilobytes to a MegaByte
1024 Kilobits to a Megabit (0.12MB per second)
All calculations here are based on 365.25 days in a year 30.4375 days in a month and 86400 seconds in a day.
References; My own knowledge, wikipedia and http://web.forret.com/tools/bandwidth.asp

~Peace

Finally some one who get's it :) and is willingly to explain it in a language people not that into hosting can understand it.

Nice article, its just a shame so many people just wont use their common sense these days and will go for the biggest ammount of space for the lowest price they can possibly find without actually thinking about what they are really getting.

One of my friends had an account with hostgator or some similar host once and there was over 600 sites on the one server, so say they have a 1TB drive, 1TB to go between 600 sites....you do the math, they are working on the assumption that not everyone will use all their space and bandwidth but clearly it is impossible for any customer to get what they paid for.

One of my friends had an account with hostgator or some similar host once and there was over 600 sites on the one server, so say they have a 1TB drive, 1TB to go between 600 sites....you do the math, they are working on the assumption that not everyone will use all their space and bandwidth but clearly it is impossible for any customer to get what they paid for.

I assume those are slow SATA drives? ;)

I get tired of "overselling" hard drives on dedicated servers. Why pay monthly for a drive upgraded one? Heck I'll go to newegg and ship them a new 1TB to put in it, AND pay a tech 100$ to install it, and I'll still be less than one month upgrade price, let alone the other 12. That's crazy.

There's none but people look for it - the competition nowadays has caused companies to raise their budgets and their allocations on their servers.

Comparing a company with unmetered space (overselling) with a company that offers 2GB space for the same price, 99% of people who see the ads would go with the overselling company.

Larger companies such as HostGator and LunarPages have fortunately been able to keep most of their servers up easily, but there are hundreds of other companies who offer unlimited features that are struggling at this point..

If there is no possibility for Unmetered or Unlimited Space or Transfer, then there is NO such thing as unlimited features such as FTP, MySQL and so on.

I'm not sticking up for these companies that offer Unlimited Space and Transfer, but If there is no such thing as unmetered transfer, there is no such thing as unlimited FTP accounts, or MySQL Databases. These take up a tiny amount of hard drive space, but never the less, they still do take up some hard drive space.

Back