• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

ThE LongesT ThreaD EveR

HI I THOUGHT I MUST CONTRIBUTE ALSO THE ARTICLE WILL TAKE HALF PAGE
For the first time, the WWE hits the PC in last year's game released for thr XBox and PC, accompanying the release of Wrestlemania X8 for the Gamecube and Smackdown: Shut Your Mouth for the Playstation 2. Is this PC incarnation any good, or is it a mere shadow of a game compared to its rivals...?

In WWE Raw, you take on the role of a WWE Superstar in a series of single matches and mini-tournaments in adrenaline pumping grappling action. There are a wide range of game modes on offer to please most wrestling fans including tag matches, battle royals and more, all with the option of playing by the standard rules or harcore.

However, most of the game modes you'd come to expect from a wrestling game - Royal Rumble (a definite fan favourite), table match, cage match, etc. - were all missing. It left me feeling that either the developers weren't bothered about recreating the feel of the WWE, or just didn't seem to think that the fans would want those sort of matches. Either way, it's unforgivable.

To win various titles in the game (and as such, unlock hidden goodies), you have to play the title mode. There is no story mode as seen in Smackdown. Instead, you take on a number of opponents in the relevant classification (Heavyweight, Hardcore, Women's, Intercontinental etc.) and after you've defeated so many opponents you win. It's pretty basic, but at least if offers something a little more than just a series of one-off matches.

There is a reasonable selecton of superstars on offer - 43 and 4 hidden - but many of these are out of date or are no longer with the WWE. Billy Gunn is there but has his old entrance music and is referred to as "The One" Billy Gunn, then we have other wrestlers who have left the WWE a long time ago including Haku, Justin Credible, K-Kwik, Perry Saturn, X-Pac and Steve Blackman. While some of these would be welcome in the game, the number of regular and popular stars who are missing is astonishing. It's a pretty safe bet that most fans will find at least one of their favourite wrestlers missing from Raw.

It doesn't stop there though. For the wrestlers who ARE in the game, many of these have their old entrance music and videos on the Titantron that haven't been in use for sometime. While some of these are welcome (the Undertaker coming down to the ring with Limp Bizkit's "Rollin'" playing being a perfect example), the majority are just annoying. It's not a good way to encourage people to buy a game when most of the characters are out of date. Can you imagine a football fan buying the latest FIFA game only to find that the squad line-ups are 3 or 4 seasons old?

That's not the only area where the game is dated. Throughout, the game keeps referring to the WWF, in terms of on screen text and graphics, and the whole Raw look is from the old style from a while back - it uses the old style Titantron (as you can see from the pictures), the military-style lettering and old theme music, despite the packaging giving the impression that the game is based on the current Raw presentation style and roster.

As with most other WWE games over the last few years, the Titantron is used for all of the wrestlers entrances and despite many being out of date, this was one aspect that has been done properly. While some of the video footage was a little grainy and blocky, all of the proper videos were there as was ALL of the theme music - something which doesn't happen too often because of licencing issues.

One thing I did like with the entrances is that, at the press of a button, you can switch between the wrestler approaching and entering the ring and a full screen version of the Titantron video. It's a nice touch and gives you a feeling of control as if you were directing the show.

Sadly, that seemed to be the only part of the game I did like. The controls were frustrating and not as intuitive as any of the other WWE games I have played, and despite the fact that you could customise them, it didn't seem to be able to detect what hardware you were using properly. I tried configuring the controls for my Sidewinder joypad and it kept offering me options for all seven buttons... even though there are only six - and it wouldn't let me edit the controls until I had selected all seven options and it didn't allow a mix of keyboard and joypad.

There were also some glaring problems in the title mode. To test things out, I decided to go for the Light Heavyweight title (now known as the Cruiserweight title). So far so good. Then I got to the wrestler selection screen and it allowed me to choose the Undertaker for the title challenge when he was in a totally different weight classification and is simply not eligible for the Light Heavyweight. It's only a minor irritant, but that lack of attention to detail is just unacceptable.

To be frank, I found myself getting bored of this game very quickly. There were too many flaws present to make the game enjoyable, and the controls were so frustrating that it made it difficult to win matches sometimes, or to get the wrestlers to do what you wanted. That and the limited game modes just left me wanting more that simply wasn't there...

It can't be difficult to make a playable game based on the WWE, so it's hard to understand why everything here has gone so wrong. There is very little to commend about this game, and it really is just a waste of potential.

Visually the game isn't too bad with some well-defined wrestlers (although they're not animated too well), and good background and ring graphics. The entrances generally look good, and there is a nice mixture of flame and explosion effects thrown in for good measure.

Sound is lacking though. Apart from the in-match sound effects and grunts, there is very little apart from the entrance music. There is no commentary at all, and the only speech that is in the game is the initial female ring announcer - and she isn't a WWE announcer that I recognise.

There are a couple of extras in the game. There is a Museum mode where you can get information on the wrestlers, their personalities, view their Titantron movies and more. Also, you can view all of the unlocked items and costume pieces that you might have available. Nothing specially really, but it's nice to have.

The obvious main extra that people want is the Create A Wrestler Mode. Well to be blunt here, it's not worth bothering with. It offers a very limited choice in terms of body types, facial features, hair types, costumes, and pretty much everything else. They're tried to approach the costume differently, allowing you to build tops and pants using a number of parts, but it just makes the system more cumbersome rather than flexible. After spending a while struggling to create any decent wrestlers, you'll soon give up. It's a pity really, as it does offer some innovation over other wrestling games allowing you to customise the entrance with pyro effects, smoke and much more - somthing the other wrestling games don't offer.

One feeling I kept getting as I played this game is that I was convinced that this game was written a couple of years ago and - for whatever reason - was never released. Now, to tie-in with the other games, it felt as if it was brought out of mothballs, had a slight facelift and was released. That's the only way I can explain why the game looks so dated.

I have to be honest and say that I was disappointed by this game in almost every respect. It's not just that it's lacking compared to the other WWE games released at the same time - it just doesn't stand up when compared with other WWE games released over the last few years. Whether it was down to the programming team, or just bad game design I don't know, but if this is the standard I can expect from PC wrestling games, then I'll stick to my PS2 and Gamecube.

Overall Rating - 43% - Reviewer:Simon Plumbe

Back