• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

ThE LongesT ThreaD EveR

Some of us.

Regarding what we were discussing in the previous pages, I must say that string theory and the other modish physical theory, loop quantum gravity, both stem from one basic idea: that there's a mathematical problem with general relativity.
The idea is that when you try to examine physical phenomena on ever smaller scales, gravity acts worse and worse. Eventually, you get infinities. And almost all research to find a quantum theory of gravity is trying to understand these infinities. What string theory and what loop quantum gravity do is go around this by not going smaller than a certain distance scale, because if you do, things will behave differently. Both these theories are based on the idea that you can't go down to zero in a point particle, and that's one way to get rid of mathematical infinities. The main difference, I think, between the two theories is that string is intellectually and mathematically far richer.
String theory hasn't accomplished a lot in terms of solving physical problems, but it's produced a lot of interesting mathematical discoveries. That's why it fascinates. Loop quantum gravity hasn't even done that, at least in my mind.
What are your thoughts on this matter?

I think you are missing a big piece of the equation my friend. You cannot talk about the above mentioned string theory without mentioning quantum physics. Quantum physics and the string theory are indeed inseparable, causing the user to be able to execute mathematical algorithms not conventionally allowed by the mathematical system. The example you mentioned above, the zero by zero division in a point system, for example, is allowed in a string theory, only and only if, the theorem is applied using quantum physics. Much work still needs to be done about this issue to truly understand it, however it is my opinion that truly understanding quantum physics will help us understand the mathematical dimension of this world. Quantum physics also alter the behavior of gravity under the loop quantum gravity theory. If applied properly, this could result in completely neutralizing the gravitational pull, and rendering a complete floating state. I find that this is quite a spectacular achieved and urge you to experiment with it. Let me you how it worked out.

Last edited:
That's exactly right Wojtek. Neither string theory nor loop quantum gravity has told us much about the key unsolved physical problems--most important, why does the universe have dark energy? That's the biggest question right now. One thing that has come out of string theory is the idea of plural universes or extra dimensions, and that's because string theory is based on extra dimensions. The only consistent string theory originally had 26 dimensions, and then it got lowered to 10. But the universe we live in is four-dimensional [three spatial plus time]. A lot of talk went into explaining how all these extra dimensions were invisible. Recently some people have been trying to turn that defect into a virtue by suggesting that the extra dimensions might actually be detectable.

Back