• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

The dark business of some webhosts here

I started out with a small reseller, and I filled that up with free, ad supported clients. It was paying for itself, and I had the chance to learn how to manage it. Now I've got another reseller, though a lot larger. Again just free clients. I've learned how to manage it. Now, come next month (And the end of school) I'm going to upgrade to a dedicated server. Only then will I offer paid hosting. I believe free is the way to go for people starting out. If you do it right you can make plenty of money to slowly work your way up until you have full control over your server and aren't worried about some guy with a single dedicated or VPS shutting down your account. You'll learn what you need to know, and when you offer paid, you'll be in a much better position to handle it. Start small, and work your way up. As an added bonus, with free you aren't under such a heavy obligation to provide support.
Anyway, that's my two cents worth, and if it seems completely rambling and senseless it's because I've been up for 28 hours straight now. Good night.

/Kyle

hottweelz said:
So let's name names.... why help them out...? Let's see some names... I'll back you up 100%.

A) I know it's not me
B) Search "Guilt Issues" on this forum and you'll find me saying "I have guilt issues just trying to compete against my own resellers"
C) I agree with you, so I officially have your back...

Let's name them... see if they come to your thread.

It's not you, don't worry. I'm kind of sleepy, so I'll make a list tomorrow (if you can call it a list, because it's too short).

I'll leave you in suspense :p

Being the HUGE Provider "behind"resellers as we would like to think we are, has its disadvantages too.

Due to business being brisk, we tend to ignore accounts which are small and leave them to our resellers, who fills the gap perfectly.

However, we DO NOT badmouth our resellers nor try to undercut them and will always refrain from competing directly against them whenever a client asked for quotes unless we know that their quote wont make it.

We have a healthy relationship with our resellers and they compliment our services perfectly while allowing both our businesses to grow.

We love that synergy and would not have been "LARGE" today without them.

expected a thread like this to come(it came a bit too late.)

Well i think you ahve to start somewhere especially if you haven't got any experience with hosting.

I do agree with those who say, trying to offer paid hosting off your reseller is just wrong, but if the reseller is big and oversellign is not enabled, you have good support, then why not?

just my 2 cents.

BTW where's the list?

Having a reseller isnt a problem, I have about 4 of them plus my own servers *which are mine* & 16 rented servers. Having a reseller account isnt anything to be ashamed about, when you think about it, its wise.... just my 2 cents!.

Craig said:
Having a reseller isnt a problem, I have about 4 of them plus my own servers *which are mine* & 16 rented servers. Having a reseller account isnt anything to be ashamed about, when you think about it, its wise.... just my 2 cents!.

16 servers? Nice!

fek all a matter with having a reseller account, just takes you to be with a good host so problems dont arise, so far i have be running around a year and havent had any problems nor have my customers. if you do have a reseller account you just needa find a good host with good support. after a while i plan to upgrade to a dedicated server but dont see why at the minuite as i dont have any problems and havent yet. *touch wood* so what is the big deal about having a reseller account?

yea everyones gotta start somewhere! come on give us resellers a chance we may be on ur turf but cut us some slack... if u big boys are really that powerful our clients will be running to u later on.. in the end u guys win? if u were a client on a reseller i dont think u wud notice the difference if ur host still offers nice support... n i dont really think they wud care if ur a reseller as long as they get what they need

Marki said:
if u were a client on a reseller i dont think u wud notice the difference if ur host still offers nice support... n i dont really think they wud care if ur a reseller as long as they get what they need

nicely said!! thats all that matters!!

Yes, but if you have a dedicated, you can be trusted. I'm on a dedicated.
For people who want to just host their friends, a reseller is what they should get.

ezshare said:

What kind of logic is this? That isn't even logic. You are trusted because you have a dedicated server? You realize that you can still be a scammer even if you "have a dedicated" and you realize that there are a lot of "reseller hosts" who can be trusted and are serious about what they do.

ezshare said:
For people who want to just host their friends, a reseller is what they should get.

how is most customers going to know you have a dedicated server (unless you have it plastered over your website)

alot of customers dont really understand the difference between this, all they really care is that there site is hosted and safe and have help at hand if needed which we resellers can offer just as good as yourself

ezshare said:

I actually trust resellers more. People who use resellers have a good chance of having overselling forced off (I know all my resellers are that way). A guy with a dedicated can force as many accounts on there as he wants to..as I have seen a few clients do to some dedicated servers I have sold them...their names will not be mentioned. :angel:

as a free host (when I had one:p) I plastered the fact I had a dedicated everywhere. why? makes your customers think that most free hosts arn't, and in all fairness most hosts under a month are.
Starting on a dedicated is crazy, theres no need, especially with paid hosting where it can take a while to get the ball rolling. You need space but you can't have a dedicated for a month if you only have 2 clients paying $5 each.
Resellers are a fact of life, their a great place to learn the ropes, I did and now I want to get back in but have no cash I'm using one.
Is this bad? No, becuase I'll manage it correctly, as will 90% of reseller hosts here. The problem comes when resellers buy a cheap reseller and get dumped on some p1 64mb ram crap hole with 90 other people.
Resellers need to be priced carefully, I brought down an entire server once using my $20 reseller. This is where the issues start, if the reseller gets a bad reseller package (through no fault of there own) their: response times are slow, frequent crashes, server problems, high pings.
This is why people like a host to have their own dedicateds, there is no middle man to ---- up. Having said that, if the owners some dip---- who decideds to try and save a buck and get a server from LT, unmanaged then its worse than the reseller.
My reseller has daily backups 99% uptime and great features, this means I offer people good features.
If you get a good reseller package you'll be fine, and its a great place to start.
But that package if the keystone to your company. pick badly and your stuffed.

Back