• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

The dark business of some webhosts here

Dini

Blitzkrieg Bopin'
NLC
Something YOU (yes, you!) should read:

Some webhosts on this forums (I won't say names) have a very dark business going on with Reseller Accounts. They sell you a "cheap" reseller account, with fantastico, cpanel, everything you need. Awesome support, overselling allowed.

Great! now you can create your own company! Yay! Let's go shopping to FWS to see if we can get some customers. But, oh my god! My Reseller provider is saying that you should not trust hosts that don't have their own servers :confused4

Yes, this is true. You know who you guys are. You sell something but encourage people not to use it. Not all resellers are non-trustable. And if they are, why do you offer resellers?

- no offence to all of you, just a comment :)

Last edited:
Haven't really thought about it this way, but when you stop and think about it is quite true. Thanks for bring this up.

I have no real comments but this is true.

computerhelpworld said:
Haven't really thought about it this way, but when you stop and think about it is quite true. Thanks for bring this up.

I have no real comments but this is true.

thanks for your support :classic2:

I think a lot of people may agree on this, thats why I posted it

While it is true that the best hosts do own their own server(s), you have to start somewhere. Reseller is a great place to learn the ropes for a relatively low price.

I don't think you are going to get much comments from hosts on this as most hosts offer reseller accounts and have at one point or another speaked ill of them on this forum.

The question is why do "none reseller" hosts provide reseller accounts so others can "start their own web host" when the "none reseller" hosts complains about such "reseller hosts"? The answer is quite simple: money. Reseller hosting has quite a large market and can be quite profitable as well. Sometimes business isn't about what you feel is right or wrong but rather what makes money.

computerhelpworld said:
I don't think you are going to get much comments from hosts on this as most hosts offer reseller accounts and have at one point or another speaked ill of them on this forum.

The question is why do "none reseller" hosts provide reseller accounts so others can "start their own web host" when the "none reseller" hosts complains about such "reseller hosts"? The answer is quite simple: money. Reseller hosting has quite a large market and can be quite profitable as well. Sometimes business isn't about what you feel is right or wrong but rather what makes money.

Totally agree. Is a thing of ethics and moral.

Tree: What you say is true, and it goes directly to my point

EDIT: On my reputation: "You'd be DEAD WRONG". If your reading this, don't be shy, fight back. I guess you're one of the hosts I'm fighting

Last edited:
Owning your own equipment and datacenter or not has nothing to do with quality, reliability, ethics, business practices of a web host. It's more a question of which server in which datacenter with which connections?

A lot of industry leading web hosts do not own their servers. Are you talking about ownership of hardware? If one is to discredit this, one should also discredit those using their own servers in a leased DC space. Now we're talking more than 99.999 percent of hosts, seriously.

Some desperate hosts might try to use "We own our own equipments!" as a selling point. But fact is, many of whom use this - you rather they didn't own/operate their own hardware..

Which host would you prefer for your shared hosting plan?

1: A host running from leased servers from a top brand provider such as ThePlanet and EV1Servers.

2: A host who sent in his junky celeron into his local datacenter for colocation.

I know what I would rather have.

I prefer when companies lease their equipment normally. That way i know their staff is completely on their work rather than managing a whole datacenter.

I don't have any issues with resellers (I wouldn't get hosting from one though), but resellers who offer reseller plans bother me.

I prefer when companies lease their equipment normally. That way i know their staff is completely on their work rather than managing a whole datacenter.
That's good sometimes. Although that also creates a lot of middlemen, which aren't good in any business.

Meaning you go through someone who goes through someone who goes through someone to get bandwidth.

And you go through someone who goes through someone to get your servers.

And you go through someone who goes through someone to fix a problem. Also, if a problem does arise, sometimes the person who you bought from doesn't have the right permissions or access or whatever to fix what needs to be fixed.

Leasing vs. managing is really more of a personal preference when it gets down to it. Some people prefer managing their business instead of their servers while others prefer total control over their servers.
but resellers who offer reseller plans bother me.

Yes. Then there are more middlemen being created.

So let's name names.... why help them out...? Let's see some names... I'll back you up 100%.

A) I know it's not me
B) Search "Guilt Issues" on this forum and you'll find me saying "I have guilt issues just trying to compete against my own resellers"
C) I agree with you, so I officially have your back...

Let's name them... see if they come to your thread.

hottweelz said:
So let's name names.... why help them out...? Let's see some names... I'll back you up 100%.

A) I know it's not me
B) Search "Guilt Issues" on this forum and you'll find me saying "I have guilt issues just trying to compete against my own resellers"
C) I agree with you, so I officially have your back...

Let's name them... see if they come to your thread.

I crash parties without an invite ;). Someone call?

hottweelz said:
Yea, tell them how good you have it in life!

Hehe, I don't what all this thread really is about lol. I am a reseller. The deal I got worked out i got enough time to run a decent hosting business, make some good profit, and still be in school and live a normal life. yeah some days its rough, but being a reseller is pretty smooth sailing here.

• heymrdj reporting to list, Sir!

Let me know if I can assist you any other way :p.

NOTE: WOOT 600th post :).

You can count me out too. If you want to sell a product at the lowest price just so you can add another customer to your list then good for you. Any provider can do this but most of the respectable providers will understand that the customer you just had sign up to your product is not going to be with you very long. Why because he or she will coast along from one provider to another to get more and more.

I would rather pick a respected provider that provides a product that you can really use. Selling items in a three and four GB figure number that you well and truly know you are going to allow them use is totally wrong. Those numbers are just numbers.

I have seen such ridiculous comments on this website, detailing you will not find anyone offering something at that price you will be looking at x price for that amount but the person with that comment is actually offering it.

I agree with James. And I dont diss on resellers. I have several resellers that I think are excellent hosts and would recommend them to my friends if they wanted to host with someone besides me. I think that a reseller account is a great way for someone to learn the hosting business. I also think that anyone who offers a reseller account and then says they make resellers less of a host because they are a reseller is really telling on the quality of his servicers and services and not the resellers.

Back