• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

That will teach me not to push that button again...

Peo

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Sorry about the downtime today. I may have caused it. It didn't come back after reboot and advanced tech support at The Planet struggled to bring it back. Looks like it's back now though. It's been some nervous hours for me.

Some of you have noticed that you haven't received email notifications etc during the last couple of days. That should be sorted now. I have just received a lot of email notifications. While trying to fix this notifications problem, I may have caused the downtime today.

If you haven't received a reply to a message sent to me through the feedback form during the last week, this is why. Emails were not sent out for some reason. But it is working now again. I will try to reply to all of those today.

Let me know if you notice any problems. Follow us on Twitter if you wish to stay updated when we have downtime in the future.

Well the good news is you fixed it and I can finally post :D I was waiting 6 days for that activation email... thx.

That was really horrible!

Sometimes I reboot my server and it won't! So my tech support comes and fixes it. But it's normal ;)

The bad thing is, I got two emails I do not own :p
One for Reported post and other one for username and password for new account created at FWS :) Anyway I deleted it! So don't worry :p
But I suggest Peo to look on the issue since it is high security risk.

Huh? You recieved someones username and password? I don't think so. That's not possible. If you suspect something like that, you should forward it to my email address. If it is still in your spam box forward it to peo @ this domain.

Notifications etc has been sent today from the last week or so since it didn't work up until today.

Thanks, I'll look into it. It's not a username and pw for the forum as we don't send out that info.

Thanks, I'll look into it. It's not a username and pw for the forum as we don't send out that info.
It's my responsibility to protect privacy of members as if they goes to a bad hand it would be a big problem. And if I get emails like these, maybe some of other members too having them in their inbox. So it need to be fixed.
I was also thinking the same since even I myself didn't got a email with the password :p

But the "Report post" email looks natural.

Last edited:
Oh Peo... How many times do we need to tell you hun. The Red button Always does something unwanted or unexpected.

Had wondered what was up when I saw the downtime. Good to know it's been fixed.

It's nice to be able to get a KVM attached with a 20 minute lead time for at worst a $50 fee. I've saved myself at least once now that way, had misconfigured iptables and accidentally cut off all network access on one of my servers.

Had wondered what was up when I saw the downtime. Good to know it's been fixed.

It's nice to be able to get a KVM attached with a 20 minute lead time for at worst a $50 fee. I've saved myself at least once now that way, had misconfigured iptables and accidentally cut off all network access on one of my servers.

How big is this KVM? Is it attached to all servers?

How big is this KVM? Is it attached to all servers?

They call them spiders when dealing with the support people at the datacenter. Never actually seen one, but I'd imagine it's not much bigger than a typical 2 port KVM you might find at an office supply store.

Its essentially a KVM-over-IP device. They plug it into the offending dedicated box and turn it on, allowing you to login to it with a username and password they provide to control said box using a web browser as though you had local console through the spider's interface. The one I used required Java, but I already had that anyway for other things.

They're quite decent, in fact it's also possible to do hotseat style control on some of them where you have more than one person controlling it at a time. That can get a little confusing even with a skypecall coordinating things, but it did work. I think the limit for the one I used was three people at a time, more than that and the spider would crash because it couldn't handle that much IO.

It only interfaces to one server at a time though, they keep a couple of them on hand and move them from server to server as needed. At the datacenter I use, it's $20 during business hours or $50 after hours for a 24 hour rental of one, with a lead time of between 20 minutes and 1 hour depending on how busy things are.

Back