• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

support service

It's hard to say because I have never heard of them before.
To be honest, if you need someone to manage your server you are better off purchasing management from your NOC or DC. At least that way you know you can trust them to do the job.

I haven't heard of PSM until a Duport support member suggested them when I had to leave them after I upgraded to my first server. I signed up after I realized I can't play hero and go unmanaged and seriously, I have not regretted it. It's nice knowing that for $29 a month, you can pester someone on the other side of the world with unlimited tickets. Just be polite about it, of course!

Few notable examples:

1. I signed up because httpd was failing every 5 minutes and the server goes down during peak hours. They tweaked something in the httpd config and the httpd was normal after that. The server going down was an overload problem though and stopped after I transferred an account temporarily to Duport (yeah, I'm a fan) and then permanently to another server.

2. The second server also went down every day. The reboot technician says the server just "locks up." I thought it must be a hardware problem so I pestered LT about it for days. They swapped RAM but the server still goes down. Here's a really bad day:

Me: Please check console before reboot. This is really weird. I was just making a backup using ssh and it fell. This happened at least 3-4 times before. (Within 2 hours) Why does it do this?

LT Tech: All right, I will boot into a different kernel, and tell you when it’s back up. Additionally, these were the errors on the screen:

common_interrupt+0x1a10x20default_idle+0x0/0x55
default_idle+0x2c/0x55cpu_idle+0x91/0xaa

These are the types of errors I have seen every time before rebooting this server. The server is always completely locked up, requiring a hard boot each time.

Me: Yes, you mentioned the server locking up for 2-3 times now. RAM has been changed 2 days ago but with the server still falling, what would you recommend?

LT tech: I just attempted to reboot the server again, and every single kernel I try boots into a kernel panic. I will escalate the issue to our lvl 2 support. I apologize for the inconvenience.

A BIT LATER: Unfortunately, we are unable to boot the system to a stable state. At this point we have booted to a FC4 Rescue disk and am attempting to repair the file system via e2fsck. We will keep you updated to the progress, please be aware this process may take several hours.

That was scary! The server was resurrected after 8 hours or so and I got a chassis swap (PSM recommended it) for that----and got upgraded :) The server fell again after 2 days.

Anyway, I decided to pester PSM this time:

ME: Hello! A chassis swap has been performed as advised but the server has fallen 3 times since the swap. The last one being a kernel panic.

LT: When I hooked up the console, it appears to be a kernel panic. I'd recommend checking your system log before that point.

Can you check for me? This is for the last crash.

PSM (Frank): I investigated the logs of your server but didnt found anything significant. I have problems in customised kernel 2.6.17. I suggest you to switch to the kernel that your operating system provides and supports. Let me if you want to switch the kernel and I will do it for you.

I couldn't type PLEASE fast enough. Hurrah! I got 70+ days of uptime after that. :)

3. One of the users was maximizing its mysql connections. Yes, PSM edited something and the account owner couldn't worship me enough. Errors do that to you :)

I hoped my little review helped!

Last edited:
PSM is great. I couldn't recommend them enough for out of home or office hosts that can't sit in front of their pc's all day watching for a server becoming shakey.

Back