• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Starting an open source development community

Epgs

NLC Honorary Member
NLC
I have been developing and managing open source projects for around 4 years. I am now looking to start a new community. It is one in which we get donations, server space, recruit, etc.. all for open source projects. If anyone is interested in starting this/donating please contact me at johnstille@postmark.net

I have more ideas and I have a very open mind. So let me know. I am in this for the betterment of open source as I have been around it for so long. Thanks.

Just a question, do you think you will get many donations? I don't know, I'm just not too keen on working my --- off on something and giving it away for free, when I could sell it is a commerical project?

Well I am not looking to make any money. All donations go to buy extra servers, etc... So whatever people put into is what they will get out of it. I have gaurenteed hosting from two providers for free. Now I just need a designer to donate some time to put together a template for the site and we are ready to start.

Originally posted by Coolin
Umm... Isn't what you're doing the exact same as what SourceForge is doing?
Yeah.

And no offense, but I don't see why someone would stray from SourceForge and use your new service instead.

Imho, SF is a very reliable service.

Yeah it is, just doesn't allow flexibility. Once you are in the system you have to conform very strictly to the systems they have and what those limitations are. We are gonna be a lot more flexible, which means a lot more personal. We will work one on one with an open source application to see them succeed.

Ah, I was unaware of such restrictions, having never used their service for my own software development.
In which case I wish you the best of luck with your venture. :classic2:

Yeah, I don't wanna compete I just wanna help people like I was when I started.

HTML, Graphics, recruiting, and people to oversee everyday operations.

Yeah count me in with anything to do with Forums. I have had years of experience with PHPBB, Invision Board, OBB, WBB (ugh) and vB, anything you need done (apart from templates me=sucky at templates :p) then just contact me.

I also dabble a bit at linux and can manage a server fairly well, do upgrades for software on it, etc, etc.

So yeah just contact me :).

Back