• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

So who here is from Australia?

Well, I can't off-hand think of a uni with a particularly "bad" rep.

Haha, that's good to know. In the US the University I went to for my Bachelor's degree gets almost no respect from anyone. Someone I know once went to a job fair and the people in the booth for a consulting company were interested in them until they saw that they went to my school. Then they actually said "well maybe our company isn't for you, you should try one of those other companies *pointing to booths for smaller companies*".

That's why I think a school's reputation is somewhat important. I won't expect most US businesses to know anything about a foreign school, but I want to at least be able to talk about it fondly.

Never buy American beer, you will be deported.

Yeah, I am not much of a fan of beer or alcohol to begin with. We also have Corona here which mostly Americans drink (most Mexican hard core drinkers say its crap, despite coming from over there). I am originally from Poland so I am aware European beers tend to be strong and respected among drinkers.

I thought Ourimbah and Newcastle where like 100+ miles away from Sydney? I guess that's a pretty wide metro area if they still consider it "Sydney".

Last thing, what kind of market is there for people who fix computers? I was looking to maybe get part time work there and I was wondering what kind of wages or jobs are out there for someone in that field.

One thing I am really worried about is that I won't know anyone there. Anyone who is in the Sydney area want to make an American friend if I get accepted to school by the end of the Summer? :)

I will definitely need help figuring out the local things, like things not to fall for or areas to avoid, places to shop cheaply (I will probably have to take out a massive loan to live there, so I don't want to spend more than absolutely have to) and things of that like.

Last edited:
Also, it's illegal to drive without an open bottle of alcohol, pubs and clubs don't close 'till 4AM, the most popular beer in Australia is VB, and if you ask for a "12 pack" you'll be laughed at - beer is sold by the case (24 bottles) in Australia. The watery non-alcoholic substance you know as beer in America is called "light beer" in Australia, and its alcohol content is anywhere up to about 3.6%, but again if you purchase this without having a good reason (such as being pregnant) you'll be laughed at.

Finally, I feel it is important to note that while VB is the most popular "cheap" beer, Cooper's Sparkling Ale is the best Australian beer, and the Cooper's brand is family owned (not owned by Foster's or Lion Nathan). If you don't know these things, you will be ridiculed, and likely deported.

You can also buy imported beers, mainly from Belgium, Germany, Mexico and other reputable countries. Don't buy unless the brand has been recommended to you - however you are usually safe with Belgium, German or other European brands; and the Mexican brand Corona. Never buy American beer, you will be deported. I've never seen full-strength American beer, so I'm not sure it exists.
If I tried to count the amount of Victoria Bitter ads I saw in Melbourne my brain would spontaneously combust.

I liek teh Cascade.

Oh, and I must dispute the American beer potency issue. There are plenty of beer breweries here producing beer with >4% ABV. Although, I don't dispute the fact that many of them also taste horrible.

There are plenty of beer breweries here producing beer with >4% ABV.
That may be, but they don't export it. You can, however, buy Guinness, which I believe is brewed in America - however it is an Irish beer, and company that owns the brand is British. But that, I think, is the closest you'll find to a "full strength American beer" in Australia.
I thought Ourimbah and Newcastle where like 100+ miles away from Sydney?
Yes, but we consider that "Very very close". If Jan really lives in the NT she can back me up on this - in many NT towns people will literally drive 5 or 6 hrs to the nearest McDonalds - or reputed Coffee shop (cafe) as a "treat".
Last thing, what kind of market is there for people who fix computers? I was looking to maybe get part time work there and I was wondering what kind of wages or jobs are out there for someone in that field.
The national minimum wage is $13.74/hr - however, I'd expect you'd earn at least $16-18/hr in that field - but that's just a guess.
Anyone who is in the Sydney area want to make an American friend if I get accepted to school by the end of the Summer? :)
Okay, point of advice - don't tell anyone you're a yank, pretend to be canadian instead.
areas to avoid
Well there aren't many of those here in Canberra (we just say "stay away from Queanbeyan" but that doesn't count since it isn't canberra) - in some costal towns you have some aboriginal neighbourhoods - and some of those you would want to stay away from... but most are peaceful.
places to shop cheaply
The cheapest supermarket in Australia is Aldi. However, most people shop at Coles or Woolies - and I believe you'll find Wollies slightly cheaper than Coles.

Last edited:
If Jan really lives in the NT she can back me up on this - in many NT towns people will literally drive 5 or 6 hrs to the nearest McDonalds - or reputed Coffee shop (cafe) as a "treat".
I can't say I know anyone from small towns. But I personally wouldn't drive to one if it was in the next block. :sick:

Back