• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

So who here is from Australia?

Conscript

NLC
NLC
What's up guys. I am considering moving to Australia, at least for my master's degree, and I was wondering if anyone who lives there could tell me a few things I'd need to know about living there.

I am thinking of applying to the University of Newcastle in Newcastle or Ourimbah for a Master of Business degree.

Some things I'd like to know are:

1. How much would it cost to rent a place there? Like something small and cramped but in a good neighborhood where I can walk outside at night.

2. What kind of internet is available over there and how pricey is it? I am used to my 16 mbps connection here and I'd hate to let it go.

3. How much does food in general cost over there? I am okay with eating nothing fancy but I'd like to know ballpark of how much groceries could cost so I can prepare better.

4. Would you recommend Australian universities or am I better off staying here?

5. What kind of healthcare system is available and what are the fees for insurance or other health related expenses if needed? I know the USA has one of the crappiest (to navigate) and most expensive systems so I can't do much worse, but I would like to know what to expect in case the worst happens.

6. What kind of weather should I expect in that part of the area? If I were to pack would I need winter clothes or will t-shirts and a few sweaters do?

I am pretty much just looking for adventure and trying to get out there and exploring something new. I figure Australia is pretty close to the USA language wise and standard of living wise (I figure they're about the same) so why not give it a shot.

Thanks a lot for your responses!

Last edited:
2. If speed and price is what you can't live without, you'd better stay there :p
3. You can live on a simple diet for little.
5. Free for most but if you want insurance, it aint cheap.
6. t-shirts and sweaters
7. It's more fun here :cool:

1. How much would it cost to rent a place there? Like something small and cramped but in a good neighborhood where I can walk outside at night.

2. What kind of internet is available over there and how pricey is it? I am used to my 16 mbps connection here and I'd hate to let it go.

3. How much does food in general cost over there? I am okay with eating nothing fancy but I'd like to know ballpark of how much groceries could cost so I can prepare better.

4. Would you recommend Australian universities or am I better off staying here?

5. What kind of healthcare system is available and what are the fees for insurance or other health related expenses if needed? I know the USA has one of the crappiest (to navigate) and most expensive systems so I can't do much worse, but I would like to know what to expect in case the worst happens.

6. What kind of weather should I expect in that part of the area? If I were to pack would I need winter clothes or will t-shirts and a few sweaters do?

Well All of these questions are pretty much City specific - so I'll answer them for 2 cities that I've either lived at or living at now - Hobart and Sydney

Hobart
1: Between 100-150$/w
2: iiNet provide ADSL2 which can reach up to 22 mbps. The availablity might be limited down in hobart.
3: In Hobart, food is slightly more expensive due to the shipping costs - but is still totally affordable.
4: Hobart has one Uni, Uni of Tas. I guess its pretty good.. :s
5: Healthcare is national, Medicare. I haven't ever been really sick, but they're OK i think..
6: Hobart is freeeking freezing. Winter has max temp's of 10-15 degrees, however in summer it can get to 40 degrees (celcius)

Sydney
1: Between $150] to about 200. That property is in a fine location - about 10 mins to the CBD by bus.
2: See above
3: Me and my Fionce live off food for less than $100/w, granted mostly from ALDI
4: Sydney has a few unis: UTS, Sydney Uni, New South Uni, Uni of Western Sydney... etc. Again, I'm no Uni Nut
6: Sydney has a great climate - Winter has lows of 18-25c and highs of 35-40 on extreme days. It's also been raining aLot lately!

Any more questions - ask. Everyone one that I know thats came here loves it! Good luck.

1. In my neighborhood, you would be looking at $200 a week onwards for a 2 bedroom unit.

2. ADSL 2+ with TPG. 24mbit down/1mbit up. 150 GB Monthly limit (40GB Peak, 110GB offpeak) for $70 a month.

3. If you don't mind getting non-generic food, you would be looking at $200 a month for family of 4. Pretty much double that for proper farm grown groceries and meat.

4. In Victoria there are a few reputable universities such as Melbourne uni and Monash.

5. If you become an Australian citizen, then you can get it for free. So doctor visits and stuff like that, you don't have to pay for. However you will need to live in Australia for at least 2 years to be eligible for citizenship.

6. It is mainly warm where I live from August to February (max of 45 degrees cel). After that you can expect anything between mildly cold weather to thunderstorms.

Few pointers:
I personally pay $60 a week for petrol.
A daily bus/train/tram ticket costs $10.
Noise cutoff time at night is 11 PM.
If you have low income, you can get a HealthCare card, which allows you to get some stuff for cheaper.
It is cheaper to have a mobile phone compared to a landline.
If you don't vote, you may get fined.

I saw an episode of The Simpsons where they went to Australia, does that count? My advice

-Buy a spoon and pretend it's a knife
-Don't make crank calls to Australia pretending to be from the International Drainage Commission in Springfield
-When you ask for coffee in Australia, they will bring you beer
-And of course, the toilets flush the wrong way unless you have special water manipulating devices.

Enjoy! I hope my advice will help you in fulfilling your goals of going to Australia. I hope to travel to the land down under in the next few years, should be fun!

Oh, and building on what utcrazy mentioned: I think we learned in the same Simpsons episode to leave your wildlife at home.

Thanks for the responses so far guys!

I would be applying to go on a student visa, so I wonder how that would impact the potential healthcare thing? Do they give free healthcare to tourists as well? I am in no need of health stuff (perfectly healthy as far as I know) I just want to know I won't be screwed if something does happen.

I am glad to know that ALDI is out there as well. I shop there all the time here in Chicago.

I am glad I won't be needing my winter clothes. The last few weeks when we had some major snow storms in Chicago really helped me lean towards moving to Australia at least for my master's degree.

Also, for anyone living in Sydney, what neighborhoods should I watch out for if I am looking into renting a place? I don't want to end up in some shady/high crime area cause I have no idea what I am doing.

Thanks for your help guys. Maybe once I'm there (could be before this year is out if all my applications go through) we could meet up for a drink or something. :)

Best bet would be to get travel insurance.

Aldi's rule.

No snow in australia - in the cities.

Regarding dodgey suburbs in Sydney: Penrith, Richmond, Liverpool, Campbelltown, Blacktown, Granville, Cabramatta and Villawood are the worst (map).

But Living in Sydney is pretty god damn safe - even if we are inindated with "people of middle eastern appearance". I've never seen any violence - and i've been here since 2005 (mind you I have never even been past Villawood...)

SO yeah Good Luck with it all!

Last edited:
Pointer: If you are coming with a student visa, you would be looking at $22k/year for doing commerce at a decent university.

Ben said:
Oh, and building on what utcrazy mentioned: I think we learned in the same Simpsons episode
not to prank phone call some boys house and ask him what direction the toilet flushes. They start to panic and rack up a $900 phone bill, and we have to go apologize and get kicked by a big boot.

You once prank called me. It was like three years ago. I have a different number now. :D

What's up guys. I am considering moving to Australia, at least for my master's degree, and I was wondering if anyone who lives there could tell me a few things I'd need to know about living there.
*Yawn* I'm too tired, but ok. I haven't read the other replies...
1. How much would it cost to rent a place there?
Australia has one of the highest housing markets in the world at the moment. So probably a bit more then you're used to. However we have the 2nd highest minimum wage in the world, so you'll probably be earning a bit more then you're used to! :) Assuming you get yourself a part-time job.
It's crap, and expensive. See http://bigpond.com.au/
How much does food in general cost over there?
The cost of living is higher then the US. But like I said our minimum wage is much higher too.
Would you recommend Australian universities or am I better off staying here?
Well I would recommend them above US uni's anyway
What kind of healthcare system is available and what are the fees for insurance or other health related expenses if needed?
You won't need health insurance, we have universal healthcare. You won't however qualify for medicare (I don't think anyway) - but I don't think that should worry you. It'll mean you can see a doctor for around (A$) $48 - $68 (depending on the practise you choose), but all the medications will still be government subsidised.
What kind of weather should I expect in that part of the area?
Sydney? ... well I wouldn't live there, I love Canberra :lol: but I think you'll find it fine.
If I were to pack would I need winter clothes or will t-shirts and a few sweaters do?
considering that right now it is summer, I do not believe you will need your winter clothes - until sometime in Autumn.

:beer:

Thanks for the awesome advice and information. When my gf visited Australia last year on a 2-week trip with the College of Business of a local university here she said you were a friendly bunch. :)

Has anyone here heard of Newcastle or Ourimbah? Are they good places to live in? Does the University of Newcastle have a good reputation? That's one of the places I sent my application to and I want to know what I am getting into.

Thanks again guys!

Here are the other places I've applied:

UTS (University of Technology Sydney)
University of Western Sydney
Macquarie University
International College of Management
Charles Sturt University

Last edited:
Ourimbah sounds nice :)
The Ourimbah Campus

The other main campus is at Ourimbah on the Central Coast, about half way between Newcastle and Sydney. It is part of an innovative educational precinct involving the University, the Hunter Institute and the Central Coast Community College. Like Callaghan it is a bushland campus too, offering a wonderful environment for our students. Set on just over 80 hectares, its buildings are all state of the art (the building program began in the 1990s) but they have been designed to blend with the magnificent natural setting. The campus is pedestrian friendly - cars are not permitted on its inner roads - so students and staff are privileged to be able to learn and study in peaceful surroundings where the background sound is not the drone of traffic but rather the call of resident bellbirds.

Most of our students take either a bus or drive to the campus but there is a train station at Ourimbah, about a 10-minute walk away.
http://www.newcastle.edu.au/internationalstudents/01university/ourimbah-campus.html

Has anyone here heard of Newcastle or Ourimbah?
Yes, and we generally call it Sydney :lol:

Well I believe you will find Newcastle very similar to Sydney anyway, Ourimbah on the other hand you'll probably find quite similar to other south-east costal towns, and from the costal towns I have seen they are quite nice; personally I'd prefer them over Sydney/Newcastle - but that's just me.
Are they good places to live in? Does the University of Newcastle have a good reputation? That's one of the places I sent my application to and I want to know what I am getting into.
Well, I can't off-hand think of a uni with a particularly "bad" rep. :lol:

We do have universities in Canberra, you know, there's the ANU; where the national video & sound archive can also be found, and there's the UC.

Also, it's illegal to drive without an open bottle of alcohol, pubs and clubs don't close 'till 4AM, the most popular beer in Australia is VB, and if you ask for a "12 pack" you'll be laughed at - beer is sold by the case (24 bottles) in Australia. The watery non-alcoholic substance you know as beer in America is called "light beer" in Australia, and its alcohol content is anywhere up to about 3.6%, but again if you purchase this without having a good reason (such as being pregnant) you'll be laughed at.

Finally, I feel it is important to note that while VB is the most popular "cheap" beer, Cooper's Sparkling Ale is the best Australian beer, and the Cooper's brand is family owned (not owned by Foster's or Lion Nathan). If you don't know these things, you will be ridiculed, and likely deported.

You can also buy imported beers, mainly from Belgium, Germany, Mexico and other reputable countries. Don't buy unless the brand has been recommended to you - however you are usually safe with Belgium, German or other European brands; and the Mexican brand Corona. Never buy American beer, you will be deported. I've never seen full-strength American beer, so I'm not sure it exists.

You could probably live in Newcastle and commute to sydney (or vice-versa) .. if you REALLY need to. (2+hrs on a train each way)

True, people do do that for Uni. By the way that "breaking telstra payphone" thing on your website works holding down any key - because it makes the phone think the keypad is jammed ... however it isn't permanent, as soon as you pick up the phone again all is normal.

Last edited:
Back