• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Servebyte

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hurley4540

I paid for Serverbyte about 2 months ago and have not even used half my resources and they shut down my account because "I am using too much of the server" or something along those lines.

Please look at my new thread requesting a new host.

Hm... what domain did you have with Servebyte? What did the termination notice actuley say fully?

We do not oversell. You're using a $2.50 plan. A server with 8GB of memory costs $250. Below is the ticket we opened for you that you aknowledged was opened but failed to respond to.
14/08/2008 10:48, Opened by myself
Hi,
Over the past to days your hosting account has been bursting between 200-1.5GB memory usage. When it uses 1.5GB it is causing services to crash and therefore causing overall downtime. I have been forced to suspend your account until we can resolve this issue.

You may be under abuse.
You may need to optimize your websites for memory usage.
You may need to purchase a VPS, for your own private resources that are not shared.

I apologize for the inconvenience but to maintain our great reputation of Servebyte, we must come to a solution of this matter.

Kind Regards,
Josh Jameson
Servebyte CEO
Furthermore, you were causing the downtime you complained about. You need to take my advice and optimize or get a VPS.

Wow! Now, if it is true, and you were using that amount of memory, Gamer4u has all the reason to suspend your account... And to give you the VPS Advice :eek:

Yes, it is true. I've been running a honest company for all these years - and experienced that proof is all you need with such users that complain like this.

I unsuspended his account for a day for him to be able to backup - and it happened again after a few hours so i just suspended it again.

Memory usage of the server he is on for the past 2 days below. You cant see the spikes reaching 7.5GB, but its there nether-the-less.

http://www.servebyte.com/images/external/TylerLower.jpg

What new thread are you talking about? This one --> http://freewebspace.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2211671

If you were paying $2.5 at Servebyte for that kind of resources then there is reason to believe that your plan was/is oversold UNLESS of course it was a special that the company was running, in which case your claim isn't valid in any way.

However, if you were using 1.5 GB of ram consistently then your account termination is probably warranted.

And like many have said in your request thread...if you want a host that can support what you need then you need to pay for it.

My 2 cents

This is a pretty serious claim. If you are using all of the RAM servebyte has quoted, you should read a little more about how hosting works before calling hosts 'oversellers'

Everyones right, you shouldnt be using that much server resources on a shared plan, however I want to know what you were running to eat up 1.5gb of RAM??

to??? 2* & 200-1.5GB?
Sorry but the English you used in that ticket was annoying me.
On to the OP.
Proxy hosting is not able to be put on normal shared plans.
Stop being a tool, read what people are telling...
The fact that you ignored everyone that told you the truth in your thread just showed how silly you are being.

YOU CANT USE 75GB OF BANDWIDTH FOR 2.5$/MONTH FOR A PROXY WEBSITE.

Last edited:
Yes, it is true. I've been running a honest company for all these years - and experienced that proof is all you need with such users that complain like this.

I unsuspended his account for a day for him to be able to backup - and it happened again after a few hours so i just suspended it again.

Memory usage of the server he is on for the past 2 days below. You cant see the spikes reaching 7.5GB, but its there nether-the-less.

http://www.servebyte.com/images/external/TylerLower.jpg

Sorry but that is a pathetic piece of evidence, it does not show any specifics regarding his domain. If you are going to accuse, provide proper evidence.

OP, for 2.50 USD you probably arn't going to find a provider who allows you anything more than a few clicks on your website. You clearly have not even reached your bandwidth limit and you have been suspended - yes I call that overselling.

But then again read their terms:

FAIR USAGE POLICY
To ensure that all hosted customers remain content on our servers, the following guidelines must be followed:

You may not consume more than 3-10% of the CPU on average every day. Depending on the level of your hosting account, this is increased in proportion with disk space and bandwidth. Resellers have much greater usage allowance (5-45%)

Memory usage must be kept to minimum, and freed regularly when possible.

I'm not sure who in their right mind would signup for a service which threatens you not to use more than 3 percent CPU and "minimum" memory.

And also their terms do not say that proxies are forbidden.

Last edited:
Gamer4u, you should grab a SS from the CPU/Mem Usage part of WHM showing how much CPU and RAM he's using.

Sorry but that is a pathetic piece of evidence, it does not show any specifics regarding his domain. If you are going to accuse, provide proper evidence.
You can not be serous! The fact is I'm not accusing - I've proven and taken action.

I'm not sure who in their right mind would signup for a service which threatens you not to use more than 3 percent CPU and "minimum" memory.

And also their terms do not say that proxies are forbidden.
That's for the minimum plan, and on average some sites use 20% CPU a day - but as long as the server stays stable and they don't slow the server down, I have no problems. It's simply there to scare away the big resource eaters.

James, go read how a computer works. :wink2:

This is from WHM average daily usage.
http://www.servebyte.com/images/external/TylerLowerWHM.jpg

1: Your terms does not forbid proxy hosting on shared environments.

2: Your terms on memory usage is dubious and does not specify any figures.

3: The client's CPU usage is under your 10% level limit.

Your screenshot shows account leethaxi reached nearly 30 percent at peak. You don't really see the problem - problem is your terms of service doesn't really cover your actions very well. You can't just suspend as you wish, they paid you for service.

Did you even try to contact the client and see if they will upgrade to a higher plan? Or did you just suspend the account without notice? Maybe you would act differently if he was paying 250 dollars a month, instead of 2.50?

I understand that is how cheap providers survive, by suspending resource eating accounts. You say:

We do not oversell. You're using a $2.50 plan. A server with 8GB of memory costs $250.

Then why can't the OP use the resources he bought? Your terms doesn't disallow proxy scripts or whatever he was using. Read about computers? You need to read about servers. If you are running services selling mass 2.50 USD type of plans you need more redundancies and headroom than a single 250 USD dedicated server, ever heard of clusters or load balancing?

Your ideal world is thousands of customers on 1 server with a few html pages each. Nowdays it just ain't going to happen.

Don't you see I'm telling you all this for your own sake? Regardless of whether it is peak or average, 30 percent or 90 percent, the focus is on the fact that you are not protected properly in your policy. You clearly do not specify about memory usage:

How about:

1: Add proxies to your forbidden list.
2: Specify how much memory exactly they are allowed to consume.
3: Offer the OP a refund of the 2.5 bucks for current month.

Just got on and read the posts.

What I say to them is that you did never ask me to upgrade and or gave me a warning to time to back up my files (which I got him to give me a few hours so I could and I thank you for that) but never got warned it would happen.

I would like a refund for the past month.

LOL @ publicly bagging a host just to try and get a refund then;
Got a custom plan with OttoHost:

30 gig space
100 gig b/w
unlimited addon domains
$3/mo

Will see how it goes.
Going with another "overseller"

LOL x2 at james trying to get a bite.
Your whole picking failed, TOS covers this websites removal.

I just think you need to spend more money, a VPS or dedi ;)

Seriously, a note which nearly everyone uses, NEVER go with an over-selling web hosting company! You'll regret it within a month or 2 ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back