• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

SCAAM!Please help me.

Hello,
Im owner of SinxHosting.com
I come here to ask for help.
The problem is that about 25 days ago a customer ordered a Master Reseller Plan with anually payment.He paid via paypal with a creditcard. It was a big quantity of money.Then today i receive an email of paypal, saying that the customer requested a refund cause he didnt bought nothing from me.He asked their credit card bank to refund the money.The problem is that I already spent that money, and now everytime i log to paypal, it says that i owe to paypal.
Its a high quantity.So maybe this could be the end of my webhosting company.Cause i have to pay to paypal,and also pay the monthly fee of the vps the 1st of this month.
So im very dissapointed,when all was going great,this thing happens and all goes hell.
My question is...Is there a chance to proof that the buyer approve that buy?Cause paypal says,that i have 10 days to try to the money back from the buyer.And also,i would like to know how many time do paypal gives me to pay?
Im really really sad for this,i dont know how will i pay all.Maybe i can try to talk with the vps provider,and he can give me a little more time to pay,but paypal?How would i pay....Im doing all i can,hope that I can solve this...

Any suggestions and any kind of help are welcome...:cry2:
Thanks for your time for read this...

PD:Sorry if this isnt the right place to post..

Last edited by a moderator:
Hang on, you took the cash, spent it and hadn't yet paid for the system they would be hosted on!
Your in trouble then, if the card holder says they didn't authorise it your stuffed.

Are you able to determine if the card holder was the person who ordered?
Did the customer ask for a refund?
How was the order processed?
If you have billing software did it log a ip address?

You'll need to contact PayPal and explain to them that they purchased reseller hosting from you and if possible, show them the receipt and provide the clients IP address etc if they request it.

It sounds like the client you had was using someone elses PayPal account without permission. IE Fraud.

Yes, i use WHMCS,
So i have hte IP Adress of the buyer,Also all the info of the buyer.
And cfhdev,what do you mean in How was the order processed?

For Decker:I had more than $80 for the vps,but the quantity that the customer paid is over that and they quit me my money and i still owe more.Dont think that i waste all the money.

You should employ better fraud detection measures in these cases. If you get an annual sale, make sure you call the number provided by the client to check they exist, and check that the details they entered are the same as on there paypal account.

If its a bank level charge, I would assume someone was using a stolen creditcard and in that case, there is not really much you can do, paypal will normally always side with the banks, as to not upset them ;)

I just hope you have the funds to cover this paypal debt, and to cover the VPS on the 1st - If not, why not?

My point exactly Richard, they've left themselves open to all clients suffering.

I'm not saying you wasted the money Irving, but you've not left running capital available.

I myself have had to in the past, and recently, dig deep personally to cover the costs when something goes wrong. Your just going to have to pay up as PP may not get it resolved in time for your VPS to get paid.

Are you able to determine if the card holder was the person who ordered?
Did the customer ask for a refund?
How was the order processed?
If you have billing software did it log a ip address?
I checked the details and they dont coincide,the card holder is from USA.And the "buyer" is from Indonesia,i have the name and all that.But in every case if the buyer have all the credit card info and the email info also,its TOTAL responsability of the card holder....its not my fault...
And sorry Decker i misunderstanded the post,thanks for all your suggestions.
And Richard i will have that in mind next time...if there is next time sure...
Thanks also for Dan, he gave me a lot of suggestions that i hope that work.
Thanks to all.

I checked the details and they dont coincide,the card holder is from USA.And the "buyer" is from Indonesia,i have the name and all that.But in every case if the buyer have all the credit card info and the email info also,its TOTAL responsability of the card holder....its not my fault...

Actually there are lists available within criminal circles of CC details, and identity theft is now only too commonplace.
The card holder now has less chance of protecting the details of it than avoiding raindrops.
You do have some of the responsibility to verify details before confirming sales. Always a good thing to do to protect yourself from situations just like this. WHM has some built in capabilities to integrate with fraud checking, look into those, they do work reasonable well. At least enough to alert you to possible cases.

I checked the details and they dont coincide,the card holder is from USA.And the "buyer" is from Indonesia

Then this situation is 100% your fault.

Why on earth did you even accept the order knowing that information? You should have refunded the money right away and IP banned that fraudster.

As EClouds said, Paypal disputes of THIS nature, are impossible to win. Say bye bye to that money.

Richard is correct.
As I told you on MSN, you need to check with the buyer by telephone to verify the purchase.
Learn from this and move on :)

Then this situation is 100% your fault.

Why on earth did you even accept the order knowing that information? You should have refunded the money right away and IP banned that fraudster.

As EClouds said, Paypal disputes of THIS nature, are impossible to win. Say bye bye to that money.
Richard,dont think that i knew this info from the beginning,i checked today, and i saw that the info doesnt coincide.That doesnt fix nothing,but just be in my place....
I rarely get a buyer like that,and when i saw the purchase,i was only happy.I didnt thought that this could happen.It was my error,but hope that i learn of this and i can keep with the host.

You should always check that the name/country of the creditcard/PayPal account has something in common with the person who is ordering. If they are different, call them and find out why it's different. If nobody answers or they don't give a satisfactory answer then you know that it's a scam and you refund the money straight away and cancel the account. You will not win the PayPal chargeback especially if it's at bank level.

Well, it was BIG money and you should've been careful ;)

Best of luck in surviving this ordeal. Once bitten, twice shy. Don't make the same mistake again.

I learned from all the topics on here, If someone is trying to buy a product at a hefty price ie a server or a years hosting, Dont be scared to check it out whats the worse that could happen by checking ?

Your suspicions could be right, and you could save yourself some cash in the run in.

Also use maxmind fruad protection, where it verifies the callers details ie number and calls them which asks them to input a verification code over the phone.

Unfortunately like has been said in this thread it is your fault, And it may not sound nice but its just careless.

Regardless of such, Best of luck my friend

Richard,dont think that i knew this info from the beginning,i checked today, and i saw that the info doesnt coincide.That doesnt fix nothing,but just be in my place....
I rarely get a buyer like that,and when i saw the purchase,i was only happy.I didnt thought that this could happen.It was my error,but hope that i learn of this and i can keep with the host.

Then again. Its 100% your fault. You should check ALL orders BEFORE activating them, regardless on if they are for $1 or $1000.

I often paid annually for a dedicated server via PayPal.
There's nothing wrong with it. It's just that when identification do not match is when you need to be asking questions.

I personally do not list anything but monthly payments on our order form, but if someone were to contact us, provide proper identification, and pass our various Fraud checks, then I have no problem with annual payments.

Back