• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Running my own server?

Pimpin Monkey

I've seen this question asked before on this forum but I don't remember the answers! Next week I'll be getting a better connection and I was wondering what it would take to host my site off my own computer! Anyone know? Just curious...

Nate

It's illegal, I mean, I had a Cable connection(damn my parents) and I have a Dual AMD 1800+ with almost a 1024 DDR Ram(currently, I had 512) and I didn't set up a server, it's because you cannot do anything with it, I mean, can't play games online, can't surf as good ( you can still surf ) it's your decision.

Its not illegal. But if your ISP does not allowe it then you are screwed. Sometimes ISPs will have a home type of account where your not allowed and some might have a bussness type account that they will allow you to.

But first off, you may want to have 2 computers. One for the hosting and the other for your personal stuff. As for the hosting one you will need a server software. Search download.com for a HTTP server they have a few good ones listed. Download some and see what one you like. Also you will need mabey MySQL and php cause alot of people like them also it would not hurt to have perl. search php.net and mysql.com for there software. Don't know for sure where you can get perl tho...

Now, I don't plan to host any other site but my own. I know I'll have to install PHP, MySQL, etc.. I want to know how I do that! I'm going to be contacting my ISP to see if they will allow it! I'm also considering getting a cheap 2nd computer to use as the server.

thanks guys...
Nate

Back