• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Reseller

Hey guys. I am maybe thinking about purchasing a server, and I would like to sell maybe four or five big reseller accounts on it. You'd pay a monthly fee, and you'd get your space and reseller access to the control panel. I'm thinking maybe like $25.00 a month for like 30 - 50gb of space, and all of the databases and everything, and no support (you'd be expected to do everything your else for the most part with a few exceptions). So, I'd like to know before I buy, would anyone be interested possibly? Please also ask any questions here. I just want to make sure that this is not a total flop of an idea so I don't end up wasting alot of my money. Thanks!

I think yes - someone would. But first I think that you have to understand that there are a lot of competitors in the niche you are going to join. And first time you might get any customer.
I think that you first step must be: find your niche. I think that it is most important thing while starting ;)

What he is saying is, there are thousands of hosting providers doing exactly what you described and you should try to offer something uniquely different that will have site visitors going "Jayzus, look at that! Must buy that!"

See? :)

Ah yes. I see what you mean now :). Well my idea is really to just buy a server, and let two or three people use it. Maybe provide SSH access, all theirs and I won't have anything to do with them. Is that unique enough :p? And is it possible to do something like this, or would I need to start selling VPSs on servers at that point? And can you buy a dedicated server and sell VPSs on it? If so, where and now? Thanks.

Ah yes. I see what you mean now :). Well my idea is really to just buy a server, and let two or three people use it. Maybe provide SSH access, all theirs and I won't have anything to do with them. Is that unique enough :p? And is it possible to do something like this, or would I need to start selling VPSs on servers at that point? And can you buy a dedicated server and sell VPSs on it? If so, where and now? Thanks.

I don't understand the "won't have anything to do with them" part.
Plus, if you are going to give shared users SSH on a box, be sure it is Jailed.

You can provide VPS services from a Dedicated server. That's what we all do.
Once you have your server, you will need to install something like HyperVM - http://www.lxlabs.com

It sounds like he wants to basically sell the server off in chunks as resellers and not provide support.

Best bet would be to sell it off in chunks as VPS servers, rather than just as resellers. If you don't provide support, you might not find buyers.

Ah okay. So then by niche, you mean what do I do that nobody else does?
I'd add: you have to make your web site visitors to understand why it is better go with your package and not with competitor's one.

It sounds like he wants to basically sell the server off in chunks as resellers and not provide support.

Best bet would be to sell it off in chunks as VPS servers, rather than just as resellers. If you don't provide support, you might not find buyers.

I see. But I would sell it pretty dirt cheap. And I mean I would reply to emails. I do check my emails about 5 to 10 times a day, so you would get some support. And how exactly do I sell VPS's? Would I be able to with what I am provided from a dedicated server company? Because I thought it was a whole new operating system too.

I dunno man, sounds to me like you have not much idea what your doing.
You said you will provide support, checking your emails 5 - 10 times a day, but from what i can tell, you dont have the knowlege to provide support.
Support doesnt just mean answering emails, it means dealing with every littel problem your customers think is your fault, even if its not.

Not trying to be rude, but i advise you to think hard before you jump into this.

Sorry to sound harsh, but with the mindset and knowledge level that you seem to have I would say you would fail very quickly.

You can't offer reseller hosting accounts and not provide support because resellers have no root access to the server and cannot fix things themselves.

5-10 times per day to check your email is not going to get you by in this industry. I actually purchased hosted exchange so that my emails are delivered instantly to my phone, HP handheld, and all my computers.

I can basically run my entire business from my mobile phone if I really wanted to.

And no offense, but do not offer VPSs until you know exactly what they are and how they function. If you plan on doing VPSs you can plan on spending a pretty penny on the hardware.

So the best would be to start with a reselling plan and learn the ropes and only then move to reselling VPSs.

Back