• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Reseller hosting using SSD drives

masterbo

Hello,

Does anyone provide 'standard' WHM/Cpanel reseller hosting on servers utilizing SSD (solid state drives)?

If yes, how much could cost the following amount of resources:

20Gb of disk space
200 Gb of monthly traffic

Content: 'usual' blogs/low load sites.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Usually not going to find shared/reseller hosting on SSD drives yet, as they are too small (storage space) to be cost effective...particularly considering you have to have them in at least a RAID1 configuration. There are a few out there, but you can expect to pay top dollar for non-oversold hosting on SSD.

Last edited:
To answer your question on cost, I'd say a minimum of $40-50/mo. for something like that.

Usually not going to find shared/reseller hosting on SSD drives yet, as they are too small (storage space) to be cost effective...particularly considering you have to have them in at least a RAID1 configuration. There are a few out there, but you can expect to pay top dollar for non-oversold hosting on SSD.

Just to get to examples, I found webolocity.com (not yet tried their services) and vpsdeploy.com (quite cost-efficient and fast). The cost is within 20-30$. But I'd like to see more choice, even though I understand this type of market is quite young.

Since I am quite happy with my personal SSD usage, moving whatever possible to either fast cloud or SSD-driven servers is a reasonable step.

Just to get to examples, I found webolocity.com (not yet tried their services) and vpsdeploy.com (quite cost-efficient and fast). The cost is within 20-30$.

The problem is that at those prices, they are quite clearly overselling their servers. You can't have SSD drives in RAID-10 at those prices and still make money. I'd be happy to do the math if you like. VPS Deploy uses OVH in France, and operates their servers on desktop-grade hardware, instead of server-grade hardware. You can't realistically have 50GB of SSD space and 5TB of bandwidth for $25 without massive overselling.

In fact, you can see the servers they are using for shared/reseller hosting here: http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers It's the 2nd one on the list, that costs 99.99 pounds per month...then you have another 25 for cPanel, 19 for hardware RAID. Their cost (at a minimum) is around 145 pounds per month. That's $230 USD.

After the OS install and cPanel install, you're left with about 100GB of disk space on the server. So 2 of their $25/mo. plans, and the disk is completely full, assuming no overselling. But that leaves them at a $180/mo. deficit on the server. Well you know they aren't running a charity, and they aren't losing almost $200/mo. on the server, so something has to give. In this case, it's extreme overselling of the disk space and bandwidth.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not saying you shouldn't try them out. For less than $1/day, you can certainly give them a try for a month or two and see how things work out. Just know what you're getting yourself into ahead of time.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not saying you shouldn't try them out. For less than $1/day, you can certainly give them a try for a month or two and see how things work out. Just know what you're getting yourself into ahead of time.

Thanks, but I always make the final decision myself, even though I value pieces of advice.
I will try both. After all, there are few SSD-based hosting offers these days, and perhaps the pioneers can be quite a choice.

Update. Webolocity declined my order. Pity I was not fitting their demanding criteria of a good customer. May other be more lucky. So, if there are any other suggestions, please name them.

Last edited:
You would be incorrect sir! It is ssd for these vps's

Great!! Another oversold SSD provider.

$51.80 for 160GB of SSD space (and I'm assuming you're making some money on the reseller plans). ROFL!

Sure did. There is no way a VPS provider can give 160GB of SSD space on a server for that price.

We have $51.80 (and I'm sure you aren't running a charity, so there is profit in there), plus the cPanel license fee. We'll call that $10.

Even if you were making no profit and there was no cPanel license cost for anybody (somebody is paying for it), the numbers just don't add up. More oversold SSD drive space.

Are there no honest SSD providers out there? I seriously haven't found a single one. Have an extra palette of E3-1230's laying around. I'm seriously considering jumping in to the SSD shared/reseller market, because this is just ridiculous.

well look at it this way, your not making profit the moment the server is put out there. if you have large ssd raid arrays and not just internal harddrive space it is most definetly possible, if you are willing for return on investment down the road and not upfront.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167077

So these 100gb intel ssd's are around $400. raise a large storage array. You most definetly can provide enough space if your not expecting profit upfront.

So an extra $1600 to run 4 of those in RAID-10, and even that would only provide around 175 usable gigabytes of space. So this company would be selling the entire RAID10 array's space (your 160GB) for $50/mo. (I know you're not paying $50 for the VPS, but that's just to make things easy). It would take them 3 years just to pay for the drives, and not any other aspect of the server, bandwidth, power, support services, staff, etc.

Do you really want me to believe that? You are going to tell me that these guys aren't making any money on these drives alone for 3-4 years? And that's using the $50 figure, which I know you aren't paying, and doesn't include the cost of the cPanel license, cost for the rest of the server, etc.

Ummmmm...no.

But at what point do you really call it overselling. Hard drive space is easy to oversell cause most people never reach the full amount they are given. The only people who normally use
all there space, are either storing video or large iso's. So on the average a provider does not have to worry about overselling space. If your running out, you add more.

Maybe there using the ever cheaper ssd+hdd combo drives? That would make it alot cheaper.

Back