• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Reseller hosting using SSD drives

You call it overselling at ANY point. Sorry, but providers who oversell disk space, RAM, etc., are garbage, IMO. Clients should have the ability to use the entire product they are sold at any time, without having to wait for server upgrades, etc. Clients aren't paying for oversold crap.

When I buy a 16GB dedicated server with a 1TB hard drive and 5TB of bandwidth, I don't expect to get a 4GB server with a 250GB hard drive and 1TB of bandwidth in return, and be told by the dedicated company that they'll just upgrade my box if I ever come close to using their limits.

Companies who oversell are no better than the "unlimited" providers. It's all one and the same. If you're going to oversell your hard drive, why even bother calling it 160GB of space? Why not just call it 10TB of space, or unlimited space?

Could be. Those just aren't good for the hosting environment...particularly when you have a lot of data. They can only cache so much.

they are probably using the momentus xt from seagate which is a decent hard drive from what i have read.

I've heard good things about them, but only on home computers, where you are regularly accessing the same data. They really aren't that good for servers, and you aren't supposed to use them in RAID setups (that's according to Seagate themselves) anyway, which would absolutely eliminate my using them. You've got to be using at least RAID1 in a production environment. I would never, ever run a server without some form of RAID.

I have a vps that we split out into 4 dedicated reseller accounts that we are selling for 12.95 a month ...

Does it use SSD?
I have found no references to SSD on the site.

Masterbo, what criteria did you not meet, just out of curiosity?

It's a secret. They use 3-rd party anti-fraud service and followed its advice.
Looks like the only problem is my location.

Last edited:
It's a secret. They use 3-rd party anti-fraud service and followed its advice.
Looks like the only problem is my location.

Most hosts do, to prevent fraud and potential chargebacks.

I put together some figures for something like this and could potentially put a server together pretty reasonably. Could offer 20GB of disk space, 1TB of bandwidth, and a dedicated IP in the $20-30/mo. range. That would be with absolutely 0 overselling. Really not too bad, all things considered. Of course, you could probably make more profit offering that as a VPS instead of reseller hosting, but whatever.

Most hosts do, to prevent fraud and potential chargebacks.

It was the first case over many years when I was banned by anti-fraud system. Either it's too strict... or I have somehow offended it.

I put together some figures for something like this and could potentially put a server together pretty reasonably. Could offer 20GB of disk space, 1TB of bandwidth, and a dedicated IP in the $20-30/mo. range. That would be with absolutely 0 overselling. Really not too bad, all things considered. Of course, you could probably make more profit offering that as a VPS instead of reseller hosting, but whatever.

I think that's not completely mad idea, price including. Especially if noticeable change in speed followed.

It was the first case over many years when I was banned by anti-fraud system. Either it's too strict... or I have somehow offended it.

Maxmind doesn't ban anyone permanently. I believe you said that's what was being used. Perhaps whatever host it was just had their settings way too high.

On another interesting note, we're going to be provisioning another shared hosting server in the next couple days. Going to be SSD for the OS, MySQL, etc., and /home will be on a 12 disk SAS array. Should be pretty dog gone quick. Can't wait to see. :D

The SSDs are still quite expensive to be used for Shared Hosting. The SSD performance should be great but most people who use Shared accounts just do not need it.

Honestly wswd is doing it the best way. The biggest improvement that's going to be noticed by an ssd is if mysql is put on its own ssd. Good SAS drives are fine for user files, especially if the mysql bogdown has been removed from them.

Maxmind doesn't ban anyone permanently. I believe you said that's what was being used. Perhaps whatever host it was just had their settings way too high.

The problem is not in MaxMind. They just provide numbers. The problem is how these numbers are interpreted.

It was amusing to see a company that declares it's not taking aboard anyone, that they do investigate thoroughly every candidate first. I still wonder what was wrong with me, but looks like the decisions are fully automated.

OK, that's history for me anyway. You have mentioned you're about to launch a new SSD-driven shared hosting server. I'd be glad to test its efficiency.

The problem is not in MaxMind. They just provide numbers. The problem is how these numbers are interpreted.

It was amusing to see a company that declares it's not taking aboard anyone, that they do investigate thoroughly every candidate first. I still wonder what was wrong with me, but looks like the decisions are fully automated.

Right. There are a lot of companies out there that just take the numbers, and have WHMCS or whatever billing system they are using automatically deny the order, when they are marked as fraud.

I actually come across a similar problem every now and then when I place an order from my 4G braodband connection instead of my home Internet connection. The IP address is often over 100 miles from my billing address, or whatever it is MaxMind uses, so my order gets marked as fraud.

You have mentioned you're about to launch a new SSD-driven shared hosting server. I'd be glad to test its efficiency.

Sure! We're just waiting for the datacenter to get everything provisioned for us. It's a SSD/SAS hybrid setup, but it "should" be reasonably fast, we're thinking. Not sure, as it's the first hybrid setup we have done so far. Also looking forward to testing an all SSD setup in the near future.

... Not sure, as it's the first hybrid setup we have done so far. Also looking forward to testing an all SSD setup in the near future.

May I ask you to notify me, so I could order a hosting at that hybrid server?
Thanks in advance.

Back