• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Registering an Expired Domain

trickolas

A .com domain I had wanted to register a few years back finally expires in two days. From what I can tell whoever registered the domain never used it as the domain never was connected to a website. What is the best way going about registering the expired domain so that if whoever owns it now decides not to renew it would be available? I want to make sure I can snap it up quickly in the case someone else out there also wants the same domain as I. Isn't there some sort of grace period after the domain expires for the original owner to decide whether to renew?

Thanks for any input.

you mean to tell me, i can use snapnames.com to register a domain the second it expires.
even though they put it on hold?
they charge 49$ which is a bit expensive to register the domain but do they really do it? have u tried them?
can i transfer the domain to a cheaper registration service after that?

they arent a registration service--they "Buy" the domain the second it expires and holds it for you

Thanks so much for the helpful replies.

Would anyone know approximately how long after the domain expires that it will be available for registration?

Thanks again!

Originally posted by trickolas
Thanks so much for the helpful replies.

Would anyone know approximately how long after the domain expires that it will be available for registration?

Thanks again!

I was wondering the same thing. There's one I want that expired two months ago.

Depending on where the domain is registered, it could be from about 45 days to never. There is a grace period, plus once that is over it takes a bit to actually drop. I don't know if it could happen before 45 days after expiration.

Back