• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Registered Company?

Is your Hosting Co. Registered?

• Yes, We are an LLC or Inc or LTD.

Votes: 15 62.5%
  • No, I dislike the IRS and will not register.

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • You mean I have to be registered?

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
In Australia, well at least Victoria, you can trade under your name in the format of: John Citizen - Internet Services without having to pay to be registered, you just have to apply for an ABN (Australian Business Number) from the tax office. You do not have to pay any GST to the government unless you make over $50,000/year... You can register a business name for around 70 bucks...

Originally posted by bozley05
In Australia, well at least Victoria, you can trade under your name in the format of: John Citizen - Internet Services without having to pay to be registered, you just have to apply for an ABN (Australian Business Number) from the tax office. You do not have to pay any GST to the government unless you make over $50,000/year... You can register a business name for around 70 bucks...

Interesting.. that's sort of a DBA (Doing Business As) in The U.S.A., but you also have to obtain a EIN (Employer Identification Number). Very similiar.

Would anyone be able to give me a page where I can get legal standings for running an online business in the UK?
Im in the North of Ireland which would go under the UK for business laws.
Thanks,
John

We are registered as LLC. As a company, being legitament is crucial in survival and also gives our customers the added benefit knowing we are serious about the work we do and service we offer.

So why do you need a EIN if your not an employer (not employing anyone). Robert I think you are taking this way too far. Many small businesses (not just hosting) in my area are self proprietorships which means that they can operate just by having a fictitious business name statement.

Originally posted by bozley05

You don't actually have to register for an ABN...

If your trading under the name 'John Citizen', your limited to AU$4,000/pa profit before you need to start registering for things. You can pick up a form from most Newsagents which you can fill out and show anyone that asks you...

If you register an Australian Business Name, then you have to make more than roughly AU$50K/pa before you have to start implementing GST (Goods and Services Tax - similar to VAT in the UK). However you need an ABN to trade with another business.

You'll find many business' actually register ABN's purely so people don't know they're making under $X/pa... I believe you can even register for an ABN in one session on the Internet...

Registering a business name is AU$129 or so in NSW from the Department of Fair Trading, which is about US$85 :) They last for 3 years...

For more info, check out:
www.ato.gov.au
www.business.gov.au
www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au

I thought I had actually posted in here ages ago, but most reply doesn't seem to be in the thread :confused:

Anyway, due to the growth at www.riverworld.net - I'll have to get an ABN and business name soon, and I plan to in about a month's time :)

However I'm going to get taxed like h*** from the government because I've already claimed my Tax Free Threshold on another job... so with no tax free threashold you pay something like this on what you make per week:

Earnings per Week (Gross) | Tax you pay | Earnings (net)

$10 | $2 | $8
$100 | $19 | $81
$500 | $145 $355
$850 | $275 | $575
$1000 | $346 | $654

And so on and so forth (above are just a few to demonstrate...)

it just seams to me robert is trying to stir crap.

he is trying to say he is better then all of you and his company is better because he pays the U.S. government.

he is trying to shed a bad light on the rest of you and in turn making himself look desparate for clients, as a consumer after seeing his petty attempt to make himself look superior I would host with him if he were a totally free host offering all the bells and whistles.

one thing robert in the future you might want to consider "pointing out other companies flaws only shows your own flaws".

Originally posted by FalconRock
it just seams to me robert is trying to stir crap.

he is trying to say he is better then all of you and his company is better because he pays the U.S. government.

he is trying to shed a bad light on the rest of you and in turn making himself look desparate for clients, as a consumer after seeing his petty attempt to make himself look superior I would host with him if he were a totally free host offering all the bells and whistles.

one thing robert in the future you might want to consider "pointing out other companies flaws only shows your own flaws".

Hmm.. That's funny you say that because YOU'RE WRONG. But heck, you can believe whatever you want to believe.

People who know me can vouch for me.. I don't need some newbie coming in here assuming.

Desperate for clients? lol. I just find it sad that hosts can pop up everyday and offer these outrageous offers and in a month close down.

Superior? I asked a question and wanted to see what the total of registered companies were opposed to non-registered companies.

Unless you know me, please don't talk about me or to me. You have no clue who I am, what I do, how I act and how I am.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Arvand
So why do you need a EIN if your not an employer (not employing anyone). Robert I think you are taking this way too far. Many small businesses (not just hosting) in my area are self proprietorships which means that they can operate just by having a fictitious business name statement.

If you file for sole proprietorship, than no you don't need an EIN as your EIN would be your SS #.

If you file as a seperate entity, than you need an EIN.

Obtaining an EIN # is free and takes 2 seconds. No biggie.

newbie, naw check the date I first came here. it's just been 3 months since I've been back...

and say what you will, but all you are doing in the thread is trying to back the other host look bad and I quote>
Makes you wonder how safe your data is on their servers...
run your own company don't tell others how to run theirs.
I call that shaddy business practices.

newbie, naw check the date I first came here. it's just been 3 months since I've been back...

and say what you will, but all you are doing in the thread is trying to back the other host look bad and I quote>
Makes you wonder how safe your data is on their servers...
run your own company don't tell others how to run theirs.
I call that shaddy business practices.

Ok. There no need to argue with you because you have every right to believe what you want to believe.

But Chris said it best it's "fair competition" if you want to look at it that way.

Originally posted by Robert

Desperate for clients? lol. I just find it sad that hosts can pop up everyday and offer these outrageous offers and in a month close down..

but that is none of your business

Superior? I asked a question and wanted to see what the total of registered companies were opposed to non-registered companies.

no remarking how safe someones data is on a non registered companies servers is acting high and mighty.

Unless you know me, please don't talk about me or to me. You have no clue who I am, what I do, how I act and how I am.

know you from last year but you weren't such a butthead then, it must be a bad day

Last edited:
know you from last year but you weren't such a butthead then, it must be a bad day.

Hmm if you KNOW me, than you wouldn't be attacking me and insulting me.

I didn't ask anyone to answer, I asked them to poll. The poll was simple.. yes no and a joke.

Just because you run a company and it's not registered doesn't mean that you are running it poorly. But there many disadvantages of not being a registered entity in the U.S.A. and I honestly feel it shows how serious a company is if they are registered and gives the client a sense of relief knowing that. While it's not uncommon for companies that are registered to be scammers and close out (ie. Enron), it's seems most of these "new hosts" that are not registered are the ones that come and go.

I've helped many hosts in the past with small and large problems and they know that I'm on their team.

Originally posted by Robert
Hmm if you KNOW me, than you wouldn't be attacking me and insulting me.

I wasn't attacking you personally just your
statement on how peoples data wouldn't
be safe because the company isn't registered.
if you were insulted by butthead I'm sorry.
but really dude you came off like you were down grading other companies, which in my opinion is bad business.
I think it's cool to say look at me and my company and what we can do for you, but not cool to say look at them and what they don't do or have.

anyway: good luck. peace out. and have a nice day.

I wasn't attacking you personally just your
statement on how peoples data wouldn't
be safe because the company isn't registered.
if you were insulted by butthead I'm sorry.
but really dude you came off like you were down grading other companies, which in my opinion is bad business.
I think it's cool to say look at me and my company and what we can do for you, but not cool to say look at them and what they don't do or have.

anyway: good luck. peace out. and have a nice day.

It was a misunderstanding. But if you do know me, i'm on AIM at times under VeroHST. I like getting catched up with old friends.

Back