• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Questions about forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.J. Angel

Hey there,

If there is a kind soul with knowledge about forums, I was wondering if it's possible to upgrade a forum's database backup downloaded from a remote host, from an old version to the latest version later ourselves on our own server, and, to transfer only the user accounts of a phpBB forum to a vBulletin forum without all the topics and messages.

Thanks!

Hey there,

If there is a kind soul with knowledge about forums, I was wondering if it's possible to upgrade a forum's database backup downloaded from a remote host, from an old version to the latest version later ourselves on our own server, and, to transfer only the user accounts of a phpBB forum to a vBulletin forum without all the topics and messages.

Thanks!

If it's phpBB3 RC1, forget about it. If not, I believe http://www.vbulletin.org (It's like Invisionize for vBull) may interest you, rather than to post it here.

If you have a vB license, you will find convector script in the members area. As far as I recall, it does phpBB as well as some other ones. You may need to run both scripts at the same time while it converts, but I'm not sure, I've never used it.

Thanks for the answers guys!

But just one thing, what about converting a forum's database backup downloaded from a remote host, from an old version to the latest version, is it possible? Of course, it would be done on an owned server.

Very sorry to asking such questions but I'm not very familiar yet.

Hey there,

Thanks!

vB have a convertor and as said it is available to members, who have logins that have paid, and this time I won't have a go at Johnson for big text :lol:

vB have a convertor and as said it is available to members, who have logins that have paid, and this time I won't have a go at Johnson for big text :lol:

Thanks for that!

But what about updating a phpBB database backup downloaded from a remote host from an old version to a newer version on an owned server? It's possible, isn't it?

P.S. Thank for baring with me! Just want to be sure of things before doing anything.

Yes this is just a simple upgrade that you would be performing, however i recommend that you take a complete backup of the database before performing the upgrade just in case you run into problems. Better safe than sorry i always say :)

Probably best installing the same version to start, import the DB, then run the board upgrade which 'should' upgrade the DB during the process :)

Yes this is just a simple upgrade that you would be performing, however i recommend that you take a complete backup of the database before performing the upgrade just in case you run into problems. Better safe than sorry i always say :)

I'm not sure to understand.

What do you mean by "take a complete backup of the database"? Do you mean by that to download the full database backup?

Probably best installing the same version to start, import the DB, then run the board upgrade which 'should' upgrade the DB during the process :)

You mean like, if I had a 2.0.18 version of phpBB DB, the best is to install that version of phpBB on my server, import the DB, and then upgrade the phpBB and the DB would be upgraded too at the same time?

Short version - yep :)

If your spooked by it I could set an account for you to try on a subdomain of web-spot.co.uk (the config would need changed obviously when moved).

I appreciate your care over the DB which has your users & posts that your taking.

Short version - yep :)

If your spooked by it I could set an account for you to try on a subdomain of web-spot.co.uk (the config would need changed obviously when moved).

Great!

Thanks for the offer but it's alright! It's not for right now!

I am just beginning some personnal projects of mine but being unexperienced about webmastering, I prefer to foresee things first just in case and to make sure because my projects are lifetime projects and are important to myself.

I appreciate your care over the DB which has your users & posts that your taking.

Thank you Decker!

And thanks again for your help too! Your help is well-appreciated as it is precious to me!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back