• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Question on servers

It's for sending commands to a remote server. Telnet is extremely insecure as everything, included passwords, are transmitted in plain text.

'bash' is the shell that you will most likely be using unless you have some special purpose. A shell is a program. To access a remote server, you need a SSH client such as PuTTY. PuTTY is a very popular program, I use it myself.

For a local 'server' you can just run commands straight from the shell, no need for an SSH client to access localhost ;)

PuTTY is great for accessing remote servers.

Just to clarify, a shell is the *nix command prompt, only much better than the Win one :p. PuTTY is used for accessing remote shells.

Tree said:
PuTTY is great for accessing remote servers.

Just to clarify, a shell is the *nix command prompt, only much better than the Win one :p. PuTTY is used for accessing remote shells.

Yep, yup. Thanks :D

---------------------------

Okay now back to business :p

So on the PC I want to become a server I download all the discs of fedora? Then after that what do I do. I still haven't downloaded all the discs so I will do that right now, but just a heads up what's next?

As I said before I strongly suggest against this, you will just end up trying to install fedora and then give up because it's too complicated. Anyway, there will be instructions included with your download, just read them and you should understand.

By the way, your signature is against FWS rules and your forum is going against Bidvertiser rules!

Back