• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Question on servers

.Joe.

Yours Truly
NLC
Alright say you have a normal computer, it has about lets say 80gigs, is a pentium 4, runs on windows XP, and all that other stuff would you be able to turn that into a server?

You would not want to use windows XP for a server. There are to many reasons to list why. Why not download a Linux distro? it comes with a web server installer and its free. Try Fedora 4, good server software. If you have questions on getting started let me know.

FS

try searching google theres a few sites on this(actually I believe theres an old topic about this on freewebspace)
however a few things to consider

1-You would need to keep your computer running 24/7
2-some ISP dont allow this
3-What would happen if server goes down when your out
4-speed

By the time you take this all into consideration its just cheaper to buy a dedicated than try to run your own.

What happens if I shut my computer off? and then turn it back on? Will the hosting resume?

Should do depemding on your software. Ive got mac os x and my apache server turns on but i have to turn on my php and mysql servers everytime i turn on my laptop! U get it...

While you are waiting patiently for Linux to download, I highly suggest reading on www.linux.org for info on a server install. It really should not be difficult. You will also need to read up on apache. I believe apache comes in Fedora but cant remember. Been awhile since ive built my own server. You should also look at finding an open source control panel if you plan to use the server for hosting. I know there is some good ones out there, I suggest looking on google.

I encourage you to be patient, It is not an instant thing setting up a web server, however whatever the reason you are setting it up for, It is always a feeling of acomplishment once it is completed. Also you will learn alot by doing it.

Hope this helped, again remember patience is important.

Here are a few links you may find helpfull.

www.apache.org <--the actual web server software.
www.php.net <-- should be included in apache.
www.apachefriends.org/en/index.html

Good Luck!

If you wish to run a webserver with windows try reading here, alot of good info

www.apachefriends.org/en/index.html

FS

Thanks guys, right now I'm downloading Fedora. but there's many discs :S do I download them all?

Yes...

No disrespect to you, but if you don't know how to find your "PC specs" (from the thread in the computer forum), how on earth do you plan on managing a *nix server?

At school, they don't throw in you into the deep end in your first lesson, you start from the small tasks and then move up. As some of your posts indicate, you cannot even install a simple script, you should learn how to use FTP and such before moving to this step.

Last edited:
Alright, I was just asking if it's possible. But I guess I should take it step by step. Hmm, I'll stick with FTP learning at the moment. But I'll be back to my server questions, ... on day ;).... :p

Okay guys, I've learned how to install script and lol and finding computer specs. Does anyone think they can help me out now?

Back