• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Processor: XEON or QUAD-CORE?

Intel XEON or QUAD-CORE Processor?

• Total voters

.Bobby

Hey guys, the title says it.

Intel's new XEON vs it's multi-core processor, QUAD-CORE. Feel free to shout your views.

That's too much money if you ask me.

Bet it goes tho ;)

Plus - The price will come down after time. But seriously - Why do you need a quad core to be 3GHz+?

With an OS that supports quadcore's, a 1GHz QuadCore would run better at most tasks than a 3GHz single core.

Bet it goes tho ;)

Plus - The price will come down after time. But seriously - Why do you need a quad core to be 3GHz+?

With an OS that supports quadcore's, a 1GHz QuadCore would run better at most tasks than a 3GHz single core.

I don't, I just need a duo core at 3.0 GHz or more. The PCSX2 doesn't see three or more cores as of now.

Yes, I want to run a PS2 Emulator, but I need a 3.0+ GHz processor to do it.

Bet it goes tho ;)

Only if you have a 64bit OS. Otherwise it doesn't really do much.

Ah, now I see why there aren't many XEON Desktops around.

Are those Web Hosting Companies that rich, offering XEON dedicated box(es)?

Rich isn't really the correct word, as they don't make a profit right away. They either buy branded names, or they build them themselves. The only time they make profit is by leasing them. They also offer the XEONS on VPS nodes mostly, where it's needed. The only time you get dedicated XEON boxes iswhen you really want to spend big, and host big. Generally like desktops, it's not that worth it.

Rich isn't really the correct word, as they don't make a profit right away. They either buy branded names, or they build them themselves. The only time they make profit is by leasing them. They also offer the XEONS on VPS nodes mostly, where it's needed. The only time you get dedicated XEON boxes iswhen you really want to spend big, and host big. Generally like desktops, it's not that worth it.

Exactly right.

A 2x Quad Core Xeon box can cost over $5k AUD (Easily) and hosts would generally lease them for about $1k - $1.5k US (Yes, I know the translation in price exists, but it's less complicated this way, trust me on that)

So the host would effectively make their money back on that server. If they hosted say, 15VPS on there they could easily make over $2k US a month! If they used it for shared, they can potentially make upwards of $10K US per month from this 1 server!

Xeons are workhorse CPUs and are designed really for a server environment.

But it too depends on how much they're willing to spend on hardware, on top of the Xeon Processor(s). If they have a ultra powerful Xeon Processor, but a weak little 5400RPM 500GB HDD...

Back