1. Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 125.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Add your web host to our brand new web hosting directory (beta).
    Dismiss Notice

Previous username

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Peo, Apr 20, 2009.

1. LeX

LeX ლ(╹◡╹ლ) NLC

Pop quiz: what's needcgispace called now?

2. Jan

Jan Forum Cleaner NLC

niv - what do I win? :banana:

3. TaoPhoenix

TaoPhoenix Well-Known Member NLC

Why Change?

You know, you want to change out of a handle like "ZuneRulez". "What was I thinking??"

4. Darknight

Darknight Premium Premium Member NLC

Past usernames
    underg
    internalx
    CnR

Current .oa.

5. punicial

punicial New Member

but...

username can be a problem if we treat it like this way

6. iBrightDev

iBrightDev Jay Street NLC NLC

i know my previous username was methodcomptech, but, i think i had one before that. if i did, it probably was jstgermain been iBrightDev for a while now. i doubt i will change anytime soon.

7. anhedonia

anhedonia I'm on a boat NLC

So if someone changes their name & doesn't want to be associated with the old name, what happens when you go to look at their previous posts?

E.g. if I changed my username today, and someone tried to look at my OLD posts, would it come up blank? Or would it show them up with the old username? Or, alternatively, with the new username?

8. Dynash

Dynash It gets better. NLC

It'll show the new username on all posts. (Including quotes IIRC.)

9. dmmcintyre3

dmmcintyre3 New Member

I see quotes of posts when the username used in the quote is not in use even. Just look through some old threads

10. Jan

Jan Forum Cleaner NLC

The name doesn't change on quoted posts :)

11. anhedonia

OK, so if someone wanted to no longer be associated with previous posts, they'd need to register under a new username?

12. Peo

Peo Administrator Staff Member Admin

We don't allow members to register under a new username. Well, maybe in special cases temporarily. But ask first.

If there is some info in an old post you want removed, we can take a look at that. But it has to be something like a private phone number, real name or something like that in order for us to remove it.

13. anhedonia

This was more of a curiousity thing :).

14. Cam.

Cam. Pro NLC

I used to be NetXHosting

15. DarkBlood

DarkBlood NLC NLC

Since I no longer will change my username... I guess I'm OK in giving out my oldie names.

• DarkBlood (When I first Signed Up)
    • Iyeru42
    • furnilover
    • CoffeeMonster (Originally was going to be coldReactive)

Now I'm back to DarkBlood, no more of this.

dmmcintyre3 likes this.
  16. Trel

Trel Zen NLC

I was previously LP-Trel. I don't want anybody to get confused. :D

17. Jan

Jan Forum Cleaner NLC

Phew! I'm glad you let us know!

18. Trel

Trel Zen NLC

It was Peo's idea.

19. Peo

Peo Administrator Staff Member Admin

I think any username changes should be posted in public. But we don't require it since some would not like to be associated with a previous username (mostly people working for a host). With InvisionBoard any previous usernames are automatically listed in user profiles for everyone to see. Hopefully this gets added to vBulletin someday.

20. TaoPhoenix

TaoPhoenix Well-Known Member NLC

In a bigger sense, this touches the center of my studies of the digital world vs privacy.

"If the incentive is right", this policy would only be a stopgap - one of the fundamental concepts of the digital world is that where people previously could escape past errors through "localism" (being the "Grand Dame of Monowi, Nebraska" and such), with the advent of the real power of the digital and the intense efforts of both Facebook and Google to cast aspersions on UserNames, such "security through obscurity" is becoming increasingly difficult.

I have struck a midway point in my project by keeping the thread history, but generally not unduly chasing after Alumni after they move on to new chapters.

However, such lists of prior user names can be developed from scratch at any time.

This is a source of tension that is "eternal" - it is simply uncollected data only waiting for someone to bother. There is a small sentiment here which I mostly approve of, to let sleeping dogs lie. But it cannot be counted on forever, and it has only lasted this long because of the inherently small dollar volume of the Free Host industry.