• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Pls recommend host/package allowing >3 domains

internit

I've spent much time looking in hostindex.com for a host that provides me the following in their BASIC shared hosting package and I think I need help....

- reliable host (will not go bankrupt)
- unix shared hosting with ONE dedicated IP
- telnet/ftp/email aliases/cgi-bin access
- PHP
- mySQL (or any DB support)
- >50mb space, <US$30 per month (cheaper better)
- at least 3 domain names hosting (without paying extra)*

* I'm especially keen looking for a package that comes with the ability to host multiple domain names (not sub-domains) which points to different sub-directories on the virtual server; allowing me to effectively host more than one website without extra monthly cost. It's OK that the other virtual domains does not have dedicated IPs. Again, this should hopefully come in their BASIC package without charging as extras.

I'm currently hosting at hosting.com (formally adgrafix) any paying US$39/mth PLUS additional $10/mth for each extra virtual domain, and I figure there must be another package out there that does the same for less...

Thanks for any advice!
Hans

Just wondering why you need a dedicated IP address. If you remove that requirement I am sure I could organise something for you.

Robert

Hi Robert,

Thanks for replying and fast!

I read somewhere that a dedicate IP, at least for the main domain, is desirable in certain search engine listing situation and/or cases where someone need to locate my website following a nslookup to my domain name.

While frankly I've no real reason for insisting on a dedicate IP, I thought I like to at least match what my current host offers ;)

Could you post the URL to the package that have all the above without the dedicate IP anyway? I like to take a look.

Thanks!
Hans

Originally posted by internit
I've spent much time looking in hostindex.com for a host that provides me the following in their BASIC shared hosting package and I think I need help....

- reliable host (will not go bankrupt)
- unix shared hosting with ONE dedicated IP
- telnet/ftp/email aliases/cgi-bin access
- PHP
- mySQL (or any DB support)
- >50mb space, <US$30 per month (cheaper better)
- at least 3 domain names hosting (without paying extra)*

* I'm especially keen looking for a package that comes with the ability to host multiple domain names (not sub-domains) which points to different sub-directories on the virtual server; allowing me to effectively host more than one website without extra monthly cost. It's OK that the other virtual domains does not have dedicated IPs. Again, this should hopefully come in their BASIC package without charging as extras.

I'm currently hosting at hosting.com (formally adgrafix) any paying US$39/mth PLUS additional $10/mth for each extra virtual domain, and I figure there must be another package out there that does the same for less...

Thanks for any advice!
Hans

How much data-transfer per month do u need ?

Hi, a decent data-transfer bandwidth will do. And by "decent" I mean the average that a good reliable host will offer for a basic package. Again, my current host gives me 10 GB Monthly Bandwidth, if that's a guide. The important thing is that there will NOT be a "hard limit" on this bandwidth nor with disk space limit; the host should kindly inform me of the over-use situation whenever I do and not shut down my site without warning. I'm assuming that as the industry norm practise.... ;)

Thanks!
Hans

Hi, a decent data-transfer bandwidth will do. And by "decent" I mean the average that a good reliable host will offer for a basic package. Again, my current host gives me 10 GB Monthly Bandwidth, if that's a guide. The important thing is that there will NOT be a "hard limit" on this bandwidth nor with disk space limit; the host should kindly inform me of the over-use situation whenever I do and not shut down my site without warning. I'm assuming that as the industry norm practise.... ;)

Thanks!
Hans

No what most hosts will do ... is charge you either per mb or per gb .. or whatever over your limit .. which i do .. however once i move to the us .. i will allow clients to go over the limit .. as long as its not every month .. without cost :)

Why would they close your account?. Usually they just email the user saying that you are approaching their limit, which is usally done by their system.

Robert

However .. i'm in the process of moving right now ... from UK to USA. :D .....

going from

cr@p weather
expensive bandwidth costs
more expensive homes

to

good weather
cheap bandwidth costs
still expensive home but bigger :D :devious2:

Originally posted by Myacen Network
Why would they close your account?. Usually they just email the user saying that you are approaching their limit, which is usally done by their system.
Well I know that WorldZone used to temporarily suspend your account if you go over the bandwidth, and I've also heard the same about Aletiahosting. I guess some hosts just rather suspend your account than charge you for overage.

Originally posted by cdudeuk18

No what most hosts will do ... is charge you either per mb or per gb .. or whatever over your limit .. which i do .. however once i move to the us .. i will allow clients to go over the limit .. as long as its not every month .. without cost :)

Hi again, OK maybe most host will not shut down sites that over-use bandwidth/space but only charge extra or otherwise. I think it'll be nice for host to be pro-active about these situation and monitor client's usage pattern, give them a chance before charging extras by per mb/gb without warning thought. I had serveral experiences where one of my script had a bug that creates huge log files, and my host not only notify me about the extra charges during billing cycle, BUT waive the cost incurred after hearing my explaination. Now that's what I hope will be the norm....

BTW, anymore recommendation for my need?

Last edited:

Hi again, OK I think most host will not shut down sites that over-use bandwidth/space but only charge extra or otherwise. I think it'll be nice for host to be pro-active about these situation and monitor client's usage pattern, give them a chance before charging extras by per mb/gb without warning thought. I had serveral experiences where one of my script had a bug that creates huge log files, and my host not only notify me about the extra charges during billing cycle, BUT waive the cost incurred after hearing my explaination. Now that's why I hope will be the norm....

BTW, anymore recommendation for my need?

Well i should be quite good when i move :)

Well i should be quite good when i move :)

I'm sure you will. Good move!

Now, back to my request.....
Isn't having multiple domains quite common nowadays for most of you? How do you manage those domain names that you registered (if they don't come with free URL forwarding/etc.)? I'm sure my requirement is not that unique......

Please share your thoughts here if there's a better way of addressing my need for pointing those extra domain names to my sub-directory. For example, I've come across services like http://www.ultradns.com but I just don't want to incur extra monthly cost if any basic hosting packages allow more than 3 domain names on the same account....:confused2

I use a diufferent host for every domai I own. Some for free, others paid. A domain needs to have it's own hosting, not some crappy free redirection service.

I'm sure you will. Good move!

Now, back to my request.....
Isn't having multiple domains quite common nowadays for most of you? How do you manage those domain names that you registered (if they don't come with free URL forwarding/etc.)? I'm sure my requirement is not that unique......

Please share your thoughts here if there's a better way of addressing my need for pointing those extra domain names to my sub-directory. For example, I've come across services like http://www.ultradns.com but I just don't want to incur extra monthly cost if any basic hosting packages allow more than 3 domain names on the same account....:confused2

... explain .. you wanna have 3 seperate domains .. hosted on your webspace .. and each have ftp access .. ?

or .. how do u want it to work ?

... explain .. you wanna have 3 seperate domains .. hosted on your webspace .. and each have ftp access .. ?

or .. how do u want it to work ?

Hi there! No, not each having ftp. I just want each domain to be able to point to a different sub-directory when someone visit it in the browser.

For example,
http://www.aaa.com -> /opt/users/aaa/
http://www.bbb.com -> /opt/users/aaa/bbb
http://www.ccc.com -> /opt/users/aaa/ccc

I think it's called "domain pointer" service I read somewhere else like in http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1396

Anyway, seems like there are mention that such services are not profitable to hosts; and I'm suspecting that's why I don't get much help here..... (even when I'm willing to pay US$30/mth ?).

I'm trying http://mydomain.com now which apparently offers what I needed and FOR FREE!! (I'm not excited abot free services thought) Will update here when I have tried their service....so for others looking for the same here - stay tune.

Last edited:
Originally posted by gyrbo
I use a diufferent host for every domai I own. Some for free, others paid. A domain needs to have it's own hosting, not some crappy free redirection service.

Hi there. Thanks for your suggestion; I'm not looking for free redirection service really, but a paid service that bundles about 3 or more virtual domains as a package.

I now wish to "consolidate" all those domains for other reasons like script sharing, etc.

BTW, I used to enjoy free domain hosting at bizland.com before they start charging... are there any other free host out there which allow domain names? I wonder if they will survive long...

Last edited:
Domain Pointer / Parking / Virtual Domains

Hi all!

I think I've found the host I need!!!!! FINALLY!:p
One of the top host in hostindex.com and so that gives me a good sense of reliability. Also their BASIC package cost <$20/mth! All the features I need are there and more.....

Oh yes, the basic package comes with a bundle of 5 Domain name parking which is what I've been looking for. The only caveat is that all additional domains will point to the same IP main directory. So I'll have to add something like :
<?php if getenv("HTTP_HOST") == "bbb.com" ... ?>
in my default index.htm which is fine.

Thanks everyone for trying to help out anyway!!!

Cheers
Hans

Last edited:
Re: Domain Pointer / Parking / Virtual Domains

Hi all!

I think I've found the host I need!!!!! FINALLY!:p
One of the top host in hostindex.com and so that gives me a good sense of reliability. Also their BASIC package cost <$20/mth! All the features I need are there and more.....

Oh yes, the basic package comes with a bundle of 5 Domain name parking which is what I've been looking for. The only caveat is that all additional domains will point to the same IP main directory. So I'll have to add something like :
<?php if getenv("HTTP_HOST") == "bbb.com" ... ?>
in my default index.htm which is fine.

Thanks everyone for trying to help out anyway!!!

Cheers
Hans

I was wondering how search engines work if you use such kind of redirection.
As far as I know (correct me if I am wrong) when you use services such as Mydomain and their stealth (with frames) redirection, the search engine spider will only see the meta-tags and not any content of your page. Also since you are unable to make any changes to that frame page (like the no frames part) its imposible to optimize it for search engines.

Is there any other way that you can actually have many web sites on a single host but still for the search engine spider seem no different than if you had each site on its own host?

How will this "<?php if getenv("HTTP_HOST") == "bbb.com" ... ?>" work with the search engines?

Back